2005 CTS PK3+ extra key programming
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2005 CTS PK3+ extra key programming in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Trying...being the optimal word here, to program an extra key on my 2005 cts sport lux and it doesnt seem ...
    CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

2005 CTS PK3+ extra key programming

Trying...being the optimal word here, to program an extra key on my 2005 cts sport lux and it doesnt seem to want to know.
    Tried:

master key in turn on let padlock light go out take key out put new in wait for padlock to go out and it wont.
    Same goes for the 10 minutes in the on position and repeat 3 times (not that the padlock icon even switches off), the locksmith confirmed it had a transponder chip in it so where am i going wrong

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: 2005 CTS PK3+ extra key programming

That's because you are doing it wrong. You had it right to a point, then you didn't.

Have all keys, not sure if you have more than one before. Insert the first key, turn to the ON wait 5 seconds. Then repeat with the additional keys. On the last key when the 5 seconds is done, continue to turn to the start position.

The just test all keys.

Oh, whatever was your second driver key. Make sure you use that second. Same with first. Because the first two keys are learned as driver 1 & 2. That is if you have the memory option, if not then it doesn't matter.

KOT

Mine does have the memory option yeah but i only was given one key when I purchased it so would like a spare just incase!
    I have the main key and wanting to add an extra one so my main key plus 1 more, i'll give that a go just now and let you know how it goes.
    So to sumarise.

first key (master in my case) pop that in turn it to on, before crank position.
    then off and remove key then put in the next key turn it on wait 5 seconds then crank it?

Stu

----------

Ok so unlocked the car, put the key I'm currently using in, turned it to before crank, waited 5 seconds (times about right with the 5 beeps), turned off, removed key put second key in (the one I want to program) turned to before crank, waited 5 seconds then cranked (it starts but the orange padlock icon shows up still flashing).

So it'll start once then as soon as you try it again, back to the padlock flashing and no start, it'll work once but then it wont work lol, its a pain!

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Maybe I was wrong too. Idk, this is from the FAQ...

FOR CARS WHERE YOU WANT TO JUST CREATE A SPARE KEY:

1. Place an already programmed key in the ignition.

2. Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON (RUN) to OFF.

3. Within 15 seconds, insert the new, properly cut Transponder key in the ignition. Turn the key to ON (RUN) or START. The "Security" indicator light will go on and off. Turn the key "OFF".

The key will now start the car. Repeat the second step for each new key to be programmed.

KOT

i'll give it a bash!

----------

no dice, will start the car first time but not a second, wonder if im going to have to put the stock headunit back in :| cant see how that would mess anything up though!

beazyva is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Cadillac CTS

I don't know if the 2005 are any different but I just got my new key cut this morning and programmed mine.
    I used the same process that King used just didn't cycle or time it

1) put working key in turned to the on position
    2) wait until security light turns off.
    3) put in new key and wait for the security light to go off.
    4) take out key.. put back in and start the car.

My locks cycled so I knew it was fine.. I've used it 3 or 4 times to start the car no problems yet.
    I hope you get it working.. I didn't have a spare key and I also wanted one with the Cadillac symbol.

Trouble is I could leave the key in the car well over 10-15 mins and the light just keeps on blinking, it'll start the car once, then after that it'll flash up the yellow padlock, how long did you have to wait for the light to extinguish?

just giving this a quick shunt for beazyva.

beazyva is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Cadillac CTS
    I did it in the driveway after I got home from the dealership so no longer than 5 min for the whole thing.

Perhaps try to start the car first with the good key turn it off then start the process?

I've been using the key I programmed for a week with no problems.. haven't used my original key since..

If that doesn't work I would say it's the key. Then again maybe the 05 is completely different than my 03.

Shall give it a go, after that im giving up on the whole spare key idea for now lol, seems to be so many different methods ive found and so far none of them have worked.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

spare key is essential
    if you don't have the spare key programming a first key is a lot harder and often requires a tow to the dealer (ouch)

the instructions in post #6 are perfect

when you put the good key in and turn it to on (engine off, key on) the security light should go off after about 10 seconds
    you then about about another 10 seconds to insert your unprogrammed key and do the same (key on, engine off)
    and then wait another ten seconds or so for the security light to go off

it is then programmed and you can take it out of the ignition and start the car

if that simple process is not working for you then the chip in the key might be defective
    i've never seen that happen before but it's a possibility
    ... it is a genuine GM part (the key) right?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

It was supposed to be a genuine one bought online, im beginning to think its not, certainly doesn't want to program to the car, the cutting of the key is fine, it'll open the door manually etc, but after a single start it will just keep flashing the padlock so Ive given up trying with it, may have to cut it open to be sure its got a transponder inside it, seems to me like it probably hasn't, though its bizarre how the key checked out as having one when he cut it

if it doesn't look like this (with the blue protective emblem cover that you peel off)
    then it was not a genuine GM part

there are knock-offs that have emblems on them but the GM ones look like this
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

its dual sided emblem, cut it open to find out if it did have a chip in it, it did but probably the wrong one, i shall keep it for opening the doors in emergency, but i'll need to get a genuine one!

GM#19207416 is what you want

plenty on ebay for decent prices

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.