How do I remove right side catalytic?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ricoZg
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, How do I remove right side catalytic? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have searched and found a few threads where people have asked how to remove the cats, but no one ...
    ricoZg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L

How do I remove right side catalytic?

I have searched and found a few threads where people have asked how to remove the cats, but no one seems to have an answer on how to do it. My right side catalytic converter cracked at the weld where the flange is and it sounds horrible. A coworker put the car on a lift and welded the outer portion which helped the sound but couldn't get the inner half. The upper bolts for the cat can't be undone from underneath, so I need to know how to remove the right side heat shield so I can get access to the bolts.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
    956Caddy likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

956Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Cts Black Raven

Re: How do I remove right side catalytic?

Would appreciate this too cause my caddy sounds like a atv cause of exhaust leak and its throwing off the o2 sensors

propninja is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Each Cat is held on to the exhaust header with three nuts. You'll need a 15mm socket and a long extension and a universal joint. soak the nuts with WD-40 or PB Rust blaster as they will most likely be rusted on. Jack the car up and support on jack stands. You'll need to disconnect the O2 sensor pigtail.Remove the nut holding the cat to the transmission and the two nuts attachint the cat to the exhuast . you won't need to remove the exhaust system as there should be enough movement. You might want to get one of those flashlights you wear on your forehead in order to see the bolts. it's kinda tough but it can be done. When putting everything back together, use either stainless steel nuts and/or anti-seize compound.You may also want to replace the gaskets while you're at it.

Freeflyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade, 2006 CTS, 2008 SRX

I have an 06 CTS with a 2.8. Just changed my right cat last night for a P0420 code. I removed the three 10mm (I believe) bolts from the outer heat shield, pulled the heat shield out from underneath. Like the statement above I soaked the nuts with WD-40 for a couple hours. I used a 15mm socket on several extension(about 20 inches long) and poked the extensions through all the hoses and wiring from the top to remove the upper nuts. Then removed the aft bolts and flexed the exhaust pipe, pulled the lower fitting out then wiggled the cat out. It wasn't as complicated as I thought it would be.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeflyer
    I have an 06 CTS with a 2.8. Just changed my right cat last night for a P0420 code. I removed the three 10mm (I believe) bolts from the outer heat shield, pulled the heat shield out from underneath. Like the statement above I soaked the nuts with WD-40 for a couple hours. I used a 15mm socket on several extension(about 20 inches long) and poked the extensions through all the hoses and wiring from the top to remove the upper nuts. Then removed the aft bolts and flexed the exhaust pipe, pulled the lower fitting out then wiggled the cat out. It wasn't as complicated as I thought it would be.
    How long did the job take? I need to do this on my passenger side cat

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    How long did the job take? I need to do this on my passenger side cat
    From the time I pulled the car into my garage to the time I drove out was a little over 3 hours. If I had to do it again I bet I could do it in under 2 with the right tools on hand and pre-soaking the bolts with WD-40. It's not very difficult, just takes some patience.
    I removed the battery to make it easier to reach the upper nuts on the cat too.

ricoZg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
    That doesn't sound too bad. I need to get this done soon cause my Caddy is sounding horrible.

And for anyone who is interested. I shopped for a decent cat for a long time. I ended up buying this one and its excellent build quality, and it fit perfectly. All that was missing is the aft bolts, the uppers are welded in and I used the nuts that came off my old cat.
    $185 shipped, it was the best deal I could find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281123037309...84.m1439.l2649

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.