03 CTS 3.2 starting issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 03 CTS 3.2 starting issue in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have searched so many threads looking for the same symptoms so i'm sorry if this is a repost and ...
    HeavyArms is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS

03 CTS 3.2 starting issue

I have searched so many threads looking for the same symptoms so i'm sorry if this is a repost and I missed an older thread. I try to start my Caddy and it just clicks, but not like a bad battery or electrical problem. if you watch the pulleys the start engages and then disengages as it bumps the engine a little at a time over and over till you let off the key. I have tested the relay and even swapped it, replaced the starter as I thought the bendix or solelnoid may have been the problem. new battery also. could it be the ignition switch? or maybe the ECM as I guess the ECM controls the starter? ive never seen this happen before and any help is appreciated......Hal

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Re: 03 CTS 3.2 starting issue

On a former vehicle, I had a loose ground cable do exactly what you describe - no start, but everything else checked fine. Check both ends of all of your heavy cables.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

How old is the timing belt ? Almost sounds like you got some kind of interference. Can you turn it over by hand ?

HeavyArms is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS

I can make the starter work by jumping the relay, turns over just fine then. I looked for loos or corroded grounds but I will double check tomarrow when its light.

KAGSCREW is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade

I am having the EXACT problem. I did everything u mentioned and no Luck likewise. Did you get your car fix? #HELP

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

battery was my problem. thought it was a starter, but it was the battery the whole time

djkdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6L
    This does sound like the battery is low, any lights on the cluster

Quote Originally Posted by josney View Post
    battery was my problem. thought it was a starter, but it was the battery the whole time
    I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS. I will try this tomorrow. Needless to say, I replaced the battery with a used one during my last trouble shoot.
    This is what I did so far.
    i. swap the relay for the starter with the cigar lighter and the ignition relay with the foglight relay and test all fuse.
    ii. Jump the starter with a piece of wire (the starter works)
    iii. jump the battery with jumper cables using another car (no start- just the same 'click' sound)
    iv. removed the postive terminal wire from the engine compartment and took it to an electrician to be tested and sand blast (This wire connect to the battery, main fuse box, starter and alternator) After I replaced it -I got the same result- no start :rant2

ALL THE USUAL LIGHTS ARE ON WHEN I SWITCH ON THE IGNITION. THE WINDOWS ROLLS, HORN WORKS AND EVERYTHING ELSE.
    There are something unusual tho - when I switch on the ignition the anolog clock rotates then return to its position and when I turn the key to crank the engine all the light went out expect the engine light also the throttle body sensor make funny crunching sounds and the fuel pump sound a bit louder.

I'll see what happen when I replace the battery with a new one tomorrow.

#HELLP my CTS sitting for 4 days now!
    Attached Images

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

if your buying a used battery you can be sure its seen a hard life, new batteries every time, at least if it doesn't start then you can take it back to the store and say um sorry but it doesn't fit the battery tray in my car can I return this while batting your eyelids, used batteries however come with no guarantee's

ONE MORE DAY LOST.
    I didn't get the battery. Canadian tire and Parts Source both send me to the dealer. My local dealer closed early.
    I'll see how much they want tomorrow.

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

They're telling you based off of the book, as the CTS uses an odd size battery. A size 78 works fine (1cm taller than stock battery), or the size 75 works fine also (1cm taller, several cm narrower). I'm running a type 75 in mine (pulled out of my 94 Camaro, stuck it in my CTS, runs perfectly fine). So no need for the $200 'special battery' for a CTS. Just make sure whatever you get does not have top posts.

d.mpr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS

I'd just bring it to your local dealer and get them to look at it. However if you just need a battery look up Aldeco. I got one put in mine after not being able to start. I could get it boosted but when it sat more than 5 min it would be dead and just click many times.

Quote Originally Posted by josney View Post
    YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!
    Finally, my car start.

It was the battery all this time.
    CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Yep i can, anything below a certain voltage the battery saver kicks in so if its below, car wont start :-)

Well I learned the hard way.
    Why wouldn't the jump start work?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.