Humming sound after 10 mins driving?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Humming sound after 10 mins driving? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello everybody, I would like to know your thoughts about the following issue i am having with my CTS. After ...
    samari is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Humming sound after 10 mins driving?

Hello everybody,
    I would like to know your thoughts about the following issue i am having with my CTS. After driving the car for about 10 mins, I hear a humming sound coming from the back when I press the accelerator slightly!! My brother and i were thinking it is either the back axle differential(?) or the exhaust system? By the way, the humming sound goes away if i move my foot off the acceleration padle.

At another forum (yahoo groups) a guy said that he also noticed the same issue, however it disappeared after replacing his exhaust with a modded dual exhaust system.

What is your input on this issue? please let me hear it.

Thanks a lot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: Humming sound after 10 mins driving?

Welcome aboard, Samari! And thank you for signing up.. Well, if it's happening after about 10 minutes of driving, it's probably something heating up.. I guess exhaust would be a good possibility.. I don't have any definite answers but I think someone will pop in and have heard of this - or experienced it - shortly...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black
    Sounds like the rearend. Take it to the dealer before any further damage is done. Might be low on gear oil.

I took it in today for first 10K check up, they should be able to let me know what is going on. I hope at least they can diagnose the issue!!

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I had a bad humming sound in my other car, and it was the wheel bearings, but is the humming only after 10 mins, or is it at higher speeds?

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Two things i think it could be, i had a similar problem with the car just not sounding right, it could be that your wheels are screwy, or more likely the exhaust, i took it to the dealer several times but in their incompetence they never figured it out, either way i modded the car pretty heavily and am without either one....(new 18inch wheels and dual exhaust)

ok finally the issue was fixed,
    i took the car to 10K service and they checked the issue. They found out that the differential oil is down. I asked them if it was leaking, and they said no it is because the car was idle for long time. Well, this did not convince me. I asked them to keep the issue in the system so that they know i suffered from this problem when the car is still new.

Now the sound is gone and ll is well thanks to those who shared their thoughts.

Saeed

MatthewsNH is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by samari
    Hello everybody,
    I would like to know your thoughts about the following issue i am having with my CTS. After driving the car for about 10 mins, I hear a humming sound coming from the back when I press the accelerator slightly!! My brother and i were thinking it is either the back axle differential(?) or the exhaust system? By the way, the humming sound goes away if i move my foot off the acceleration padle.

At another forum (yahoo groups) a guy said that he also noticed the same issue, however it disappeared after replacing his exhaust with a modded dual exhaust system.

What is your input on this issue? please let me hear it.

Thanks a lot.
    I think it's probably in the drive train and would be supprised if the exhaust had anything to do with it. My CTS has started this noise as well. It is the same noise I have in the drive train from my Dakota Quad Cab. That's a $20K truck, and I don't expect it in my $40K plus luxury car! My dealer would not do anything about my noise -- YET. After I show him the posts here, maybe I can get him to finally do soemthing about it!

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewsNH
    I think it's probably in the drive train and would be supprised if the exhaust had anything to do with it. My CTS has started this noise as well. It is the same noise I have in the drive train from my Dakota Quad Cab. That's a $20K truck, and I don't expect it in my $40K plus luxury car! My dealer would not do anything about my noise -- YET. After I show him the posts here, maybe I can get him to finally do soemthing about it!

Just to follow up , the noise is back. I took the issue to GM regional office. They said they will get back to me within 48 hours. Plus i setup a meeting with service manager. I have to go through all this to fix a new car!!

When i first got the car i had noise in the brakes. After 2 visits and 11K km later, the noise still there. So much for the service! I will keep you updated.

Well finally the dealer admitted that the sound is coming from rearend axle after having a technician ride the car with me and setting in the back. They are now ordering the parts from the states and should be in place within a month. again thanks for those who shared their thoughts with me

saeed

Finally Fixed

Well dealer finally came thru and changed my differential axle and it is now like new. No humming No Noise !!

i saw somewhere that also in the states one dealer in Arizona is changing around 3 cars a week for the same issue.

In any case the issue was finally fixed and thought of updating.

Back to my ride

Denchikd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Lux Sport, 2004 Yukon Denali, 2013 XTS Platinum

Hmm interesting I ran acorss this forum. My '03 CTS just started to have this noise. the noise goes away if I step off of the accelerator or if I accelerate. If I keep the car at aprox 50Mph I get the noise. Its like a low frequency rumble. I will take it in to get it checked out.

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

very interesting, i have seen this issue more then a few times now.......usually the rear axle requiring replacement.....

samari you said they had to order the parts from the states where your from?
    Also im giving you some reputation points for a good thread

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

I dont know where GM sources its differential parts from, but this is a constant and disturbing problem with Chrysler truck products. Grand Cherokees suffer heavily from axle whine and groan on the rear AND front axle components after only 40 or 50k miles, the differentials from DANA need constant attention and are probably the number one part to check when purchasing a used GC. It does not surprise me that other american brands suffer from diff issues as well.

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I had this problem then it disappeared. It's possible the dealer filled the differential oil during my recent oil change.

They also replaced the recalled Goodyears.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.