Sounds like a typewriter is hiding in my dash.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Sounds like a typewriter is hiding in my dash. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; My car has been sitting for awhile, haven't driven it much for a couple months. I started it up the ...
    catch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Sounds like a typewriter is hiding in my dash.

My car has been sitting for awhile, haven't driven it much for a couple months. I started it up the other day and drove it around the block. While driving, or with the key turned right before ignition, I'm getting a noticeable noise coming from what sounds like the drivers side dash. It literally sounds like someone is writing a romance novel on a typewriter.
    I can't seem to hear it from the engine bay.

Doesn't seem to be showing any codes. Anyone ever experienced this? Possible ecu issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Sounds like a typewriter is hiding in my dash.

WTF is a typewriter?
    So this happens with and with out the engine running? How about the HVAC, will it still make the noise when the HVAC is off? Does the sound go away after a few minutes? Does it get louder/softer? Anything else that it might do?

KOT

I let it run/drive for about ten minutes and it didn't go away. Hvac has been off the whole time, havent tried with it on. Happens only when key is turned all the way prior to ignition (when all dash lights are illuminated), and while running. Doesn't seem to fade or get faster/slower or louder/quiter.

I'll try and get a video of it tomorrow and post it up here.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

I had a leaf stuck in my fan and it had that sound. On some cars, the fan still runs slowly when the system is off.

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Mine used to do this alot. Sometimes it also sounds like water being pumped through my dash and the occasional gurgling. I've been told it's my purge valve solenoid. I noticed the frequency and volume of the noise has gone down ever since I started running Seafoam through my gas tank. Might want to give it a try next fill up. Just my two cent. Mind you I could be completely wrong.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

The plot thickens.................

TomV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003

My 2003 has had problems with the CD player ticking away when I open the door. It clears up when the car is started.

Pwayne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Mine does this too, more of a ticking or solenoid noise or...... typewriter noise.

Not Gargling. Ive read those posts, thats not the problem that I am having.

I have tried turning everything on and off.... A/C, CD, radio, seat heaters, lights, cruise, anything that has a driver input I have tried.

It does it when the ignition is full on. The car does not have to be moving. Initially I thought something might be loose inside of my speedometer, but it does this at 0 MPH as well.

Everything is working properly, but the ticking-clicking-typewriter noise goes on and nothing seems to effect it no matter what I turn on or off in the car.

Lets keep this thread alive and solve it!!! I posted this a year or two ago, but nothing helped me at that time. Now that more people are having the problem, maybe someone knows what it is.

----------

Sorry, my car is a 2005 CTS with the 3.6 engine.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Does it make a sound like "noony noony noooon, noony noo"?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Pwayne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Interesting that you ask that. It is mostly a ticking clicking sound, but sometimes I do get a moaning sound kind of like you describe as well.

Are you on to something?

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

No he's on something, not onto lol....

I wonder if someone has left a wall clock in your car perhaps?

Leects07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 cts sport/luxury pkg

I get the same sound occasionally. After driving for a bit with the ac on then cutting the car off . And restarting it back up I get about 2 min of a dull tick under the dash with A/C on .....doesn't really concern me

RCVW is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): "Angel Dust" 2004 White Diamond CTS 3.6L-V
    I cant believe this topic!!...Ive had this issue for the past two years myself...Its an off/on thing but, I have noticed it only occurs with my vehicle when there is something wrong and pre-check engine light. My water pump was going...I mean I had no idea but this sound was occurig for a week straight, scanned codes and nothing then when it went...the cel illuminated. Its def not in the engine bay or anywhere else but, internal of the dash and is low enough that when the radio is on you cant hear it. I described it to people as a processor or computer "thinking" sound and always get blank stares and such. When the key is turned to accessory or with the engine running this happens on occassion with my 04 when theres a problem on the brink of failure/cel!!

So here's a video of the noise. Sorry, I can't direct link it for some reason. Sorry for the poor iPad quality

Is this the same sound you guys are hearing?

Leects07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 cts sport/luxury pkg

I can here it pretty well in the video ..mine doesn't seem to sound exactly like that more or less
    It's still the general noise ... have you . Tried pulling the fuse to radio and climate control and then turn the key to on eliminating possible electronics

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.