how can I fix my dic screen?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DopeEffect
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, how can I fix my dic screen? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Been through a lot of crap with the dic and my stereo shop. Well I got the screen working but ...
    pinspade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6 liter

how can I fix my dic screen?

Been through a lot of crap with the dic and my stereo shop. Well I got the screen working but it's very dim as if the bulbs are burnt out.

Any idea how I can fix it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Replace the smleds

Not easy

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Re: how can I fix my dic screen?

What did the stereo shop do? Did you add an aftermarket head unit in the CD changer location?

I've worked on my DIC (changed it to blue), replaced the LEDs, etc. Only issue I had was when opening up the circuit board for the head unit, I cut some traces that killed the lights on the right side knobs (I had to go back in with some small wires and rebuild the traces). I don't know what they may have done to make it 'dim', unless they cut a trace they shouldn't have.

The 'don't fix the problem' method would be to replace the resistors, not LEDs. I replaced my resistors first with 330 or 470 ohm (don't remember), and the DIC was too bright. I eventually ended up with the stock resistors back in there.

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

No offense but I thought it'd go ahead and throw this out there. Did you check to make sure the light dimmer on the ceiling isn't set to the lowest setting. I made that mistake one day. Thought all my dash lights burned out, flipped the **** out for a few seconds then checked the dimmer. It was set all the day down. Pretty embarrassing to be honest but I thought it was funny.
    kylebooth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cabletech View Post
    What did the stereo shop do? Did you add an aftermarket head unit in the CD changer location?

I've worked on my DIC (changed it to blue), replaced the LEDs, etc. Only issue I had was when opening up the circuit board for the head unit, I cut some traces that killed the lights on the right side knobs (I had to go back in with some small wires and rebuild the traces). I don't know what they may have done to make it 'dim', unless they cut a trace they shouldn't have.

The 'don't fix the problem' method would be to replace the resistors, not LEDs. I replaced my resistors first with 330 or 470 ohm (don't remember), and the DIC was too bright. I eventually ended up with the stock resistors back in there.
    Well they followed the thread "retain dic" and something went wrong obviously. The screen is dim as if there are no lights.
    I will read that thread you mentioned. Is there a way to find out if it's the resistors or LEDs?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DopeEffect View Post
    No offense but I thought it'd go ahead and throw this out there. Did you check to make sure the light dimmer on the ceiling isn't set to the lowest setting. I made that mistake one day. Thought all my dash lights burned out, flipped the **** out for a few seconds then checked the dimmer. It was set all the day down. Pretty embarrassing to be honest but I thought it was funny.
    -_- of course I checked the dimmer. The dimmer would not shot the lights off completely. Only make it Dim.

The dimmer switch does adjust the brightness of the dash and ac screen but doesn't affect the dic.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Since your dic is dim and you've checked the dimmer switch. Does the dic show everything that it did before? Like mpg average, instant, average speed, gallons used? If it does show them, do they change? How about the trip miles, does it change?

KOT

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Since your dic is dim and you've checked the dimmer switch. Does the dic show everything that it did before? Like mpg average, instant, average speed, gallons used? If it does show them, do they change? How about the trip miles, does it change?

KOT

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Yes everything works as before, calculates everything just fine. I've checked to verify to.

ForumRunner_20130626_123926.png

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i doubt they blew out the smleds but it's quite possible that they blew out or didn't connect power to the circuit that feeds them
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    i doubt they blew out the smleds but it's quite possible that they blew out or didn't connect power to the circuit that feeds them
    But if they didn't connect power wouldn't the whole screen ow power on?

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Id check the connectors on the back of the dic make sure they are put back on correctly, its also possible when they have done the modifications they have maybe cut through the pcb board and forgot to reconnect a track?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

well there's probably main power then there's probably lighting power ... you'd have to reverse engineer the circuit board as i'm sure there's not schematic in the service manual since these types of parts are usually black boxes in that regard
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Whenever I get some time I'll take it all a part and investigate and see if I can see what's wrong. Hopefully a easy fix.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.