Battery Saver + Sputtering exhaust
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Battery Saver + Sputtering exhaust in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So today I did the spark plugs ( and new gasket), ignition coils, new CAI fiter, and new cabin air ...
    DavidW87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 V6, AFE CAI, CTS-V grill,

Battery Saver + Sputtering exhaust

So today I did the spark plugs ( and new gasket), ignition coils, new CAI fiter, and new cabin air filter on my 2004 3.6 , and while it did clear out the misfires something entirely new happened.

I got a battery not charging message and a service vehicle soon.

Note: I current have no CEL codes coming on the OBD2 via torque and no pending faults either.

There is a very aggressive sputter in idle with a mild shake ( no where near as bad as the misfire idle) and I drove it around the block to see how it responded underload and it is was perfectly fine, the misfires I was getting are completely gone and my car has power that I have never experienced. But when I idled I had a weird sputter that sounded like a crappy old motorcycle...putt..putt..putt. I checked the vacuum lines and see no problems and they appear to be fitted tightly.

TPS?
    Would numbers from torques current readings feature help (vacuum etc) identify the problem?
    As far the sputter I was thinking maybe it could be a Throttle body issue and am considering cleaning it, and doing the relearn procedure is this a reasonable idea?

While doing this I put the vehicle info on the NAV unit to battery volts, the volts would increase as I drove the vehicle (never getting anywhere past 12.
    0 but decrease if I was in idle. I got messages saying Service Steering, the TC turned off, the air bag service light came on, and Service stability system. As I was pulling back into my drive way at slow speed the volts kept dropping to the point where it was around 9v and the Battery Saver Active message popped up.

Everything I have read about the battery says it could be a loose connector to the alternator or battery but I didn't touch the battery at all today during the install.

Also I seafoamed sprayed my intake manifold yesterday along with the gas additive and I ran it for 250 miles prior to changing the plugs.

Could this be a leak in the CAI? I had to completely remove mine today for the Spark plug change and CAI filter.

I like to think that these are two unrelated issues, one perhaps resulting from a faulty alternator or related connection and the other from the throttle body.

I want to try the TB relearn procedure but it is late here and I don't want to wake the neighbors

So after
    Checking the vacuums again
    Double checking CAI seals
    Doing the TB relearn
    '

What's next?

I want to check the alternator connections but for the life of me all I can find are CTS-V examples and 2.8's, and none of those have pictures.

I took a million photos because I was going to write a tutorial up to help others with the Spark Plug change but with this having happened I feel like it would be the blind leading the blind.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DavidW87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 V6, AFE CAI, CTS-V grill,

Re: Battery Saver + Sputtering exhaust

I figured I would let everyone know what happened encase they have similar problems. I ended up replacing my battery instead of the alternator do see if that fixed it. It did.

The sputtering was not related to that issue, as it appeared to be more of a vacuum leak. I ended up taking the upper intake manifold completely off and the original paper gasket was still seared onto the intake on parts that I missed and the new gasket wasn't creating a great enough seal. So I took a razor blade, a rag, some solvant and went to town. Works perfectly fine now.

I hope that someone else's problem can be fixed by mistake

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.