'05 CTS Theft Deterrant System problem?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, '05 CTS Theft Deterrant System problem? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Wife called today saying the CTS wouldn't start and she couldn't get the key out of it. I took the ...
    Alabass is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

'05 CTS Theft Deterrant System problem?

Wife called today saying the CTS wouldn't start and she couldn't get the key out of it. I took the spare key and fob and went to see if maybe it would work. Tried locking and unlocking the doors with both fobs, but could never get her key out of the ignition and the car would not start with it in. The radio plays and the windows and locks work. Is there a way to disable the system so I can get the key out? Any ideas what could be the problem? Car is still in shopping center parking lot with key in ignition. I did disconnect the battery in case the radio didn't go off.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CtsLAC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L

Re: '05 CTS Theft Deterrant System problem?

There is a small plug under the steeting wheel column. Take it off with a small flathead and then stick the flathead in the hole to push a button and allow you to take the key out of the ignition.

CaptSoloNJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

On some GM cars that have the key/ignition switch on the steering column, this can happen when the steering wheel is turned and cocked in a mis-aligned position. Try turning the steering wheel (with the ignition off), to see if the key cylinder would release the key.

djkdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6L
    I havent been around long but when mine did the same exact thing. I had it towed to the dealer and paid a diagnostic fee and it was a bad ecm, if yours end up being a bad ecm check out http://madtuner.com/. Dealer wanted a little under 700 to get me back rolling, decided to look around and they are hard to find and they have to be programmed to the vin number of the car, came across madtuner and they were very helpful and he got me back up in running in 2 days for 258 and shipped it over night.

Alabass is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Was able to get the key out by removing the plug under the steering column and using a small screwdriver to push the release button. Have tried all the suggestions I've found in this forum like disconnecting the battery, tried jump starting it, disconnected the neutral safety switch, had the battery checked, tried both sets of keys, checked fuses under the hood, and nothing works. When I turn the switch to the "on" position, the doors lock automatically, and the display shows the name we programmed into it, radio works, fan blows, etc, but when trying to start everything goes blank and not even a click from the starter. On the dash, with the key in the "on" position, the T/C light is on and the engine light is on. I can also move the shifter from Park to Drive and back. That's about all the information I have at this point. Looks like I'm going to have to have it towed to the dealership to get it checked out.

FeedUsFeetUs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 cadillac CTS

Maybe it is your ignition switch I ended having this problem and took apart my ignition switch and put it back together now works fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.