Alradco CTS-V radiator install in a 2007 3.6L
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Alradco CTS-V radiator install in a 2007 3.6L in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Well almost done, just need to finish up transmission cooler, top off tranny fluid and fill and burp the cooling ...
    Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

Alradco CTS-V radiator install in a 2007 3.6L

Well almost done, just need to finish up transmission cooler, top off tranny fluid and fill and burp the cooling system. Here"s a few pics more to come.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Teedoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS Base
    Looks good! Need one of those for the 3.2.

Re: Alradco CTS-V radiator install in a 2007 3.6L

Before

After with modifications to CAI and fan shroud
    Tlorenzen and DavidBoren like this.

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

What does this do for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by J W View Post
    What does this do for the car.
    Loaded question? I did this mod because as far as I know nobody tried fitting an aftermarket all aluminum CTS-V radiator in a non V. Now I know.

Do you need the extra cooling? No.

Do I like shiny expensive sh*t? Yes

Did I want to dump the internal tranny cooler? Yes.

I did buy a ready rad radiator with the intentions of installing it when I started looking how the sh*tty the internal trans cooler was and how it was sealed from the coolant. No way was I going that route. I'd rather spend the money on quality and have it last.

And lastly it's my latest money pit. (I mean hobby)

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

Thanks, thats about what I was trying to find out. It does look nice under there. Good work.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

When I was tracking down my external transmission cooler, I was thinking about if this exact mod was possible. No crap. Good job. Can you throw us a ballpark figure of what this cost? I already know the rad, itself, is $450-$500. But other than that, is it pretty much bolt it fit? Obviously you had to modify the Volant air tube, but that seems simple enough. You should write up a DIY/how-to.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    When I was tracking down my external transmission cooler, I was thinking about if this exact mod was possible. No crap. Good job. Can you throw us a ballpark figure of what this cost? I already know the rad, itself, is $450-$500. But other than that, is it pretty much bolt it fit? Obviously you had to modify the Volant air tube, but that seems simple enough. You should write up a DIY/how-to.
    Thanks. Besides the external tranny cooler the Alradco radiator is the main cost, everything is reused. You'll need coolant, cable ties and tools, usual stuff.

I did plenty of trail fitting of the radiator, fan shroud condenser and CAI to get it right, nothing goes together smoothly. There were no oh sh*t moments where I thought I hit a wall. Every problem was solvable and modifications were minor. Yes, I did have to cut down the Volant air tube down to minimum length at the throttle body to get it to fit.

Example of modification:
    Used a heat gun to bend down flange and dimple the fan shroud
    DavidBoren likes this.

I am bringing this back from the dead, to first say thank you for answering my question.

And secondly, to remind everyone out there with transmission cooler lines blasting off their radiators that there are better solutions than having OEM equipment put back in. Somebody just had their transmission killed, but only AFTER they paid $1,500 to have the same model crappy radiator/tranny-cooler combo slapped in to fail again another day.

This radiator, a high quality, all aluminum, made in America (if that means anything to you) performance radiator meant for modified V8 versions of our car. It is $500, shipped to your door. Everything you need for an external transmission cooler cost $200. This should be at the forefront of everyone's minds with all the tranny cooler line problems popping up on here recently.

I am bringing this back from the dead, to first say thank you for answering my question.

And secondly, to remind everyone out there with transmission cooler lines blasting off their radiators that there are better solutions than having OEM equipment put back in. Somebody just had their transmission killed, but only AFTER they paid $1,500 to have the same model crappy radiator/tranny-cooler combo slapped in to fail again another day.

This radiator, a high quality, all aluminum, made in America (if that means anything to you) performance radiator meant for modified V8 versions of our car. It is $500, shipped to your door. Everything you need for an external transmission cooler cost $200. This should be at the forefront of everyone's minds with all the tranny cooler line problems popping up on here recently.
    Thanks again, that's exactly why I put the Alradco radiator in, only a matter of time before the inevitable happens. By the way, saw your other post about the level 10 transmission (sweet) now I wish I had one.

P.S. Come on down it's not quite a 110 degrees yet. We could slap that Iceolater and spark plugs in no time.
    DavidBoren likes this.

As the late and great Hunter S. Thompson once said, "My blood is too thick for Nevada."

The desert is just no place for me. Spent a couple years in deserts I didnt want to be in, and wasnt wanted in for that matter, and now I am just fine with grass and trees and green stuff and not 100-anything degrees ever.

That being said, when I get a CTS-V radiator to stick in my car, I might coordinate some shop time with you sometime in the dead of winter (I can deal with 70*)... 2014? I have a lot of crap to do this year, so I doubt this is something I will be able to justify doing any time soon... considering I just spent $450 on an external transmission cooler install, with a flush/filter/fill service.

Still, awesome job with the install. I am stoked that it is possible, and not only possible, but relatively easy. Screw that obnoxious OEM radiator and all its defunct problems.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Some of us were 'lucky' enough to have the trans/rad lines fail under warranty, which meant I had no choice about replacement parts.

Next time someone has their POS radiator/tranny-cooler fail them under warranty, they should see if Cadillac will install the same year CTS-V radiator instead, and bring in an aftermarket transmission cooler for them to install.

The CTS-V radiator is a simpler, single core unit that should be cheaper from the factory than the more complex V6 radiator that has an internal transmission cooler built into it.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Next time someone has their POS radiator/tranny-cooler fail them under warranty, they should see if Cadillac will install the same year CTS-V radiator instead, and bring in an aftermarket transmission cooler for them to install.

The CTS-V radiator is a simpler, single core unit that should be cheaper from the factory than the more complex V6 radiator that has an internal transmission cooler built into it.
    Read over in the V section... the radiator is a POS over there too. LOL

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Well, piss. Looks like Cadillac really dropped the ball on the radiators for both of these cars. I sure hope they un-F-ed themselves with the second generation CTS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.