Started as a simple Seafoam Question which became an Order of operations question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Started as a simple Seafoam Question which became an Order of operations question in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I am planning on doing my spark plugs, ignition coils,oil change, and a new CAI filter (I have two filters ...
    DavidW87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 V6, AFE CAI, CTS-V grill,

Started as a simple Seafoam Question which became an Order of operations question

I am planning on doing my spark plugs, ignition coils,oil change, and a new CAI filter (I have two filters in rotation, this one is a clean one and I will clean the old one etc.) for my 2004 CTS 3.6 (pushing 165k). However, I also want to seafoam the engine, so the here's the question, should I do that first? And should I do it a day before hand..i.e. tomorrow?

My plan
    Seafoam Spray into throttle body (tomorrow) and seafoam fuel additive (tonight)

Which brings me to my next question, someone I trust marginally when it comes to my vehicle told me to seafoam it after I change the spark plugs. But that doesn't make sense to me, why would I put clean plugs into a dirty engine only to clean them with seafoam?

Also is there any reason not to add the fuel additive tonight to start the cleaning process

Originally I planned to run her for a while tomorrow afternoon and evening, to let the Seafoam work. But now I don't know.

Then first thing saturday, put her on the lift drain the oil (filter etc), replace the CAI filter, polish rims, replace plugs and coils (so excited to deal with that intake manifold). Fill her back up with oil and be done with it.

Now I am a pretty handy with a wrench when it comes to this car, so is there anything else you think I should do while I have her up in the air.

I was going to replace the wheel hub assembly but it won't be here until monday. So I am doing that next week with the brakes, pads, rotors and caliper painting, headlight buffing and Plasti-Dipping the entire car! (The fiancee wants it another color (she's driving it because she has an interlock and you have to own the car to put it in (don't get me started ))), happy "future" wife, happy life (matte white, with OEM black paint left on the roof, and matte black badges,outlining of V grill, and rims with a red trim)

I was thinking cabin air filter because I am taking apart the assembly anyways to get to the rear most bolt on the manifold. But I didn't order one, does anyone know if any of the big chains usually carry our cabin air filter? Or would I have to go to the dealership ?

Thanks as always, and I apologize if this is posted somewhere but I searched and couldn't find a concrete answer.

I am also going to attempt to tutorial most of these processes so that I can contribute something to this forum instead of always taking

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    I didn't read your whole post. But I did read the part about doing the plugs first. Personally I would change them after doing the seafoam. Only because when you do the seafoam process, your losing up gunk. Which can cling to the new plugs.

With that being said. I would also change the plugs after a couple hundred miles of seafoaming it.

KOT

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Re: Started as a simple Seafoam Question which became an Order of operations question

I agree with KOT on every aspect of your post

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Started as a simple Seafoam Question which became an Order of operations question

After.

My attempt at an entertaining seafoam vid.

First thing I did to the V when I picked it up. A lot of white smoke including a P0300 misfire code. Never saw that code ever again. Changed the oil, plugs, compression test, and tuned.
    Do the seafoam before the plug change. Do the plug change after.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

DavidW87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 V6, AFE CAI, CTS-V grill,

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    I didn't read your whole post. But I did read the part about doing the plugs first. Personally I would change them after doing the seafoam. Only because when you do the seafoam process, your losing up gunk. Which can cling to the new plugs.

With that being said. I would also change the plugs after a couple hundred miles of seafoaming it.

KOT
    KOT I apologize for the long post I tend to get carried away, as always thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.