Is it possible to have hi-beam foglights?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By curtc
  • 2 Post By Kingoftypos
  • 1 Post By curtc
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Is it possible to have hi-beam foglights? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I want hi-beam foglights. When you have your foglights on, they are only on with your low-beams... they shut off ...
    DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Is it possible to have hi-beam foglights?

I want hi-beam foglights.

When you have your foglights on, they are only on with your low-beams... they shut off when you activate your hi-beams. I want matching hi-beam foglights to turn on when I turn on my hi-beams.

I want 5k HID low-beams with 6k hi-beams, and matching 5k HID foglights. This has been done, there are plenty of DIYs on it. I get that.

My question is, could I put clear lenses in the top DRL projectors, and matching 6k HIDs wired to the hi-beams, but still only activated by the foglight switch?

The amber DRL/signal bulbs will be moved to the corner pocket of the headlight, so I will still have a amber-colored forward-facing signals.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k

Re: Is it possible to have hi-beam foglights?

Why on earth would you want HID fog lights? Bright lights make visibility in dense fog nearly impossible
    ScotchNSodie likes this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Fog lights and high beam lights on at the same time is illegal. Just saying.

KOT
    CTSjones and ScotchNSodie like this.

Illegal? Hmm. Why the... nevermind. No, I am curious. How in the hell is it illegal to have foglights on with your hi-beams?

And curtc, lots of people match their foglights to their low-beams. 5k isnt especially bright, its just crisp and clean. I havent ever driven in fog with HIDs, so it may be a terrible idea, but my low-beams are still going to be on, so if 5k is too much light, then I am boned anyways.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k

I don't know why it is illegal but I would assume it is illegal out of pure common sense...If you are using your fog lights for their intended purpose you would have no need for your high beams, ever.

And 5k low beams are fine in fog, since your fog lights (NOT 5k) are illuminating the road in front of you. If you slap 5k fog lights in then you got issues as that light is now so bright it does you no good in the fog.
    ScotchNSodie likes this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    Illegal? Hmm. Why the... nevermind. No, I am curious. How in the hell is it illegal to have foglights on with your hi-beams?

And curtc, lots of people match their foglights to their low-beams. 5k isnt especially bright, its just crisp and clean. I havent ever driven in fog with HIDs, so it may be a terrible idea, but my low-beams are still going to be on, so if 5k is too much light, then I am boned anyways.
    Its illegal to have 6 forward facing lights on at once (not including marker lights or similar). I dont know the rules, but Id bet that converting your corner marker light to a turn signal could be illegal. At the very least, I wouldnt want to have a front end crash with someone while using your new turn signal and have them find out about it. Ib bet they could argue in some way that they didnt notice you signalling to turn.
    Why have your fogs and hi beams on at the same time anyhow? Fogs are useless at speeds that need hi-beams. Hi beams are useless and actually harmful in conditions that need fog lights. If FWIW, I run HID's in Hi and fogs. My hi's are 5000k, and my fogs are 3000k.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

The guys are right, I put 6k HID in the fogs and it looks good with the low beams on but it blinds the on-coming traffic. In addition, its useless in the Fog. I"d recommend the Silverstars for fogs.

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Z View Post
    The guys are right, I put 6k HID in the fogs and it looks good with the low beams on but it blinds the on-coming traffic. In addition, its useless in the Fog. I"d recommend the Silverstars for fogs.
    Crap. I just ordered 6k HID's for high, low, and fog...I got 35watt for the fogs and 55 for rest...is that still gonna be too bright? Maybe ill just black it out if so..

Wouldnt it be four lights on at a time? Your low-beams are still on with your factory fog lights. Thats four. It would still be four lights with the hi-beams, and hi-beam matched fogs. I want the low-beam/factory fogs to shut off when I turn on my hi-beams, like they do now, but I want hi-beam matched lights to turn on with the hi-beams. Just like the low-beam/OEM fog combo, just hi-beam. I do not see the problem. Bright as hell, sure, but with the additional lights mounted 8" off the road, I doubt they would be blinding anyone.

I do plan on blacking out the fog lights anyways, so there shouldnt be any unnecessary glare. I think it would look awesome.

And I do understand that you do not want excessively bright lights in the fog. I end up driving in the fog quite a bit when I go to the beach, so I want functional fog lights. The only time I ever use my hi-beams is out on rural roads, where the extra light from another set of hi-beams may come in handy for illuminating critters.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

So instead of the stock lo beams staying on when the hi beams turn on, you want the drls (which have been converted to hids) to turn on with the hi-beams, and the lo-beams to shut off?

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    So instead of the stock lo beams staying on when the hi beams turn on, you want the drls (which have been converted to hids) to turn on with the hi-beams, and the lo-beams to shut off?
    Yes. But only when the fogs are turned on. Otherwise, I want all headlight operation to be normal.
    With the fogs off, I want low-beams only during low-beam, and hi-beams and low-beams during hi-beam.
    With the fogs on, I want low-beams and fogs, and hi-beams and DRL mounted hi-beams during hi-beam.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.