Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Help please. 2007 cadillac cts shaking

12K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  djkdawg 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. My name is Jennifer and I'm having a problem with my car.

I inherited a 2007 Cadillac CTS V6 from my father a few months ago so I don't know too much about this car. I had the tires changed, and put in new rotors and new brakes last week.

Today my boyfriend started the car to go to work and he called me and let me know it was shaking, which it never does. I went outside and the temp gauge was already in the middle (after only about 3 minutes of the car turning on) ... Then the check engine light came on. The car has no leaks and the info system only says to check window washer fluid which clearly isn't the problem. The car never overheated but continued to shake. Can anybody help me out??? Thank you!

#3 ·
Hey Jennifer welcome to the forum. First, the heat gauge in the middle is normal operating temp. So no worries there. The washer fluid being low will give the prompt to fill it. Since you say that you just got the brakes and tires done, I would bring it back to them. Most places use stick on weights which are super well known to fall off. So you may have a tire out of balance. Also, if they are new tires it isn't unheard of for the tire to have a broken steel belt in it which would also make it shake.

Did the car shake at all before you brought it in for the tires and brakes? We're they done at the same time by the same shop? Do you feel the shake in the steering wheel or on the floor with your feet? Does the shaking seem to happen at one or two specific speeds?

#4 ·
Hey guys, thank you so much for responding! The shaking feels like it's everywhere. The floor, seats, steering wheel and I didn't want to move the car so I'm not sure if it shakes while moving, def in idle though. Also, the tires were done at the same shop as everything else and the car never shook before that.

----------

Ohh and also, I had my brother in law check it out and he said that one of the radiator hoses felt like it had very little pressure in it.

#5 ·
Check all vacuum lines to make sure they are connected, since you just had tires put on I was hoping the shop forgot to balance them but if its shaking in idle, I could be alot of things, vacuum lines, emissions, bad motor mounts, I would try seafoaming it if it ran fine a few days before it started shaking, also could you record us a video that might help alot more

#6 ·
Haha wow ok, I thought it was a shake while driving. Sorry a out that I read it all wrong. One of the hoses will feel like it has less pressure. That will happen until the thermostat fully opens and allows coolant back through the rad. When you start your car the coolant recirculates through the engine to heat it up. Once hot then it goes to the rad. Did they do ANY other work at the shop? Did you get any maintenance done on the engine?

Also, next time you are in your car, hold down the F1 and F6 buttons and it will bring up the diagnostic codes. Let us know if there are any codes on there.

#7 ·
Blayne said:
Also, next time you are in your car, hold down the F1 and F6 buttons and it will bring up the diagnostic codes. Let us know if there are any codes on there.
That won't work in a 2007, only 2003.

#9 ·
Hello Jennifer,

Welcome to the forum. I see other members have already engaged with you about your issue with your CTS shaking. If you are thinking about taking it into a dealership, let me know and I can continue to act as a liaison. If you have other questions or concerns, I am here to assist. I can be reached via private message or at socialmedia@gm.com "ATTN LAURA".

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

#11 ·
Yep, take it over to Autozone or any other large chain parts store and have them scan the codes. They should be able to tell you what the code(s) mean too, post those back here and we can help you figure this out

#12 ·
Hello and welcome, Jennifer.

You said the car did not overheat, but continued to shake...
So it stays on without sputtering and dying?
What does it sound like from outside the car?
Does it backfire?

Does it have oil?
Not that this sounds like a low oil situation, its just best to keep on top of the engine oil in these cars. And if you are already looking under the hood, might as well check, and fill as necessary.

#13 ·
Thank you all so much for helping me out! I decided to bring it to the shop that did all the previous work. They said it misfired so the changed spark plug #4 and the coil. Do you all think that I should change the rest of the spark plugs on my own or is it not likely that the other ones will misfire?

I hope I don't sound annoying with my questions ... I had a Honda civic for 4 years before getting this car and was JUST beginning to learn about that car lol. This car is sooo much better than the civic and I feel like it's more complicated too lol

#14 ·
jmarie__ said:
Thank you all so much for helping me out! I decided to bring it to the shop that did all the previous work. They said it misfired so the changed spark plug #4 and the coil. Do you all think that I should change the rest of the spark plugs on my own or is it not likely that the other ones will misfire?

I hope I don't sound annoying with my questions ... I had a Honda civic for 4 years before getting this car and was JUST beginning to learn about that car lol. This car is sooo much better than the civic and I feel like it's more complicated too lol
You turn wrenches???

KOT

#16 ·
Yes, this car is a little bit more complicated than a Honda Civic. But it is also an incomparably more capable vehicle.

Spark plugs are something that usually get replaced together. Coils can be replaced one by one, as replacing all of them at once can get expensive, but the plugs, generally, should all be replaced at the same time.

While learning this awesome new car of yours, heres a little tip that will save you a lot of pain;
Check your oil. Regularly. Like every other fuel fill. Keep a quart of Mobil 1 in the trunk. And dont be afraid to add it as necessary.

Welcome, once again, there are plenty of people on here with lots of knowledge that are more than willing to help. Have fun with your car, and keep us posted.

#17 ·
curtc said:
How many miles on the car? If you're under 100k I wouldn't worry with changing spark plugs just yet.
Hey curt, the car only has 37,000 miles on it. So I guess I can hold off on changing all the plugs? Lol

----------

DavidBoren said:
Yes, this car is a little bit more complicated than a Honda Civic. But it is also an incomparably more capable vehicle.

Spark plugs are something that usually get replaced together. Coils can be replaced one by one, as replacing all of them at once can get expensive, but the plugs, generally, should all be replaced at the same time.

While learning this awesome new car of yours, heres a little tip that will save you a lot of pain;
Check your oil. Regularly. Like every other fuel fill. Keep a quart of Mobil 1 in the trunk. And dont be afraid to add it as necessary.

Welcome, once again, there are plenty of people on here with lots of knowledge that are more than willing to help. Have fun with your car, and keep us posted.
Thank you very much for your tips! I appreciate it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.