External tranny cooler update...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DavidBoren
  • 1 Post By Argent1
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, External tranny cooler update... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Regardless of all the warnings not to flush a transmission after the 100,000 mile mark, I got mine flushed at ...
    DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

External tranny cooler update...

Regardless of all the warnings not to flush a transmission after the 100,000 mile mark, I got mine flushed at 119k. It was down to 33% fluid life, and I had to do something.

At the same time as the flush/filter/fill service, I had the dealership install a Hayden 1240 Swirl-Cool external oil cooler in place of the OEM transmission cooler. I also had them install a Hayden temperature gauge, with the sensor mounted in the pan (since they had the pan off anyways). The 1240 Swirl-Cool is one of the only external oil cooler I found with 1/2" inlet/outlet fittings to match the OEM lines.

I now have 120,000 miles and absolutely no issues with the transmission. Before the flush it had been sticking shifting between 2nd and 3rd gears, upshifting and downshifting. Since the flush, it has been rock solid.

And, since I now have a transmission temperature gauge, I can tell you that the Swirl-Cool is doing a fantastic job. The tranny fluid has yet to make it over 200*F, no matter how I seem to drive.

For anyone considering getting their transmissions worked on in the near future, I would highly recommend the Hayden 1240 Swirl-Cool. Even if you dont get the gauge installed, I can tell you that it does do its job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tlorenzen is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack
    Nice! I got mine changed at 108k. Didn't see much of an improvement but it was nasty when I changed..got any pics of the trans cooler?

Re: External tranny cooler update...

No pics yet. My phone is an archaic prepaid crackberry clone with a half-megapixel, still needs a flash powder tray and hood camera, and less internet access than the year 1996.

I do have friends (I promise), and I am sure one of them has a real phone. Tonight at class I will see if I can get someone to snap a couple pictures and email them to me... hopefully have them posted tomorrow.

Every damn time I look at that temperature gauge, I smile. Not that knowing the temperature of my transmission fluid is that gratifying, just knowing that $#!+ is custom makes me grin like an idiot.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Nice, I've had my external cooler on for a while. At least a year and maybe 10,000 miles. I'll know if that is true when I arrive back home.

When it was installed, I probably lost 1/2qt of fluid and never top it off. So I am thinking about doing a flush. So I have a couple questions.

What year is your CTS? What fluid did you use? How much, quart wise, was used for the flushing?

KOT

I have a 2005/3.6L/5L40E... dealership did the flush, so I do not know how much fluid was used during the operation. I was told that it is 13qts to fill it to capacity, if that helps.

And do not waste your money investing in Royal Purple ATF, because our transmissions use Dextron 6, which is not interchangeable with RP ATF.

Dextron 6?

I have this in my notes for a while. All because mine is an 06 and apparently uses different fluid than earlier models.
    Automatic
    Transmission
    DEXRON®-III Automatic
    Transmission Fluid. Look for
    “Approved for the H-Specification”
    on the label.

I also know there was a big jump in prices just for the fluid between the new 06 and earlier 05 fluids. That was a couple years ago when I last checked though.

KOT

Yep, Dextron 6. Not compatible or interchangeable with anything except Dextron 6. Amsoil might make one, but Royal Purple does not. As for what the 2006+ transmissions need, I have no answer. If Royal Purple MaxATF was an option, I would be all over it.

I had foolishly bought a butt-load of the RP ATF and brought it to the dealership with a B&M tranny cooler and B&M gauge, just to be wrong on all fronts... the Royal Purple wasnt compatible, and the B&M oil cooler had the wrong size inlet/outlet.

So I gave all Royal Purple and B&M crap to a friend of mine, bought the Hayden parts, and let the dealership make the call on what fluid to put in there... Dextron 6, 13qts of it.

Whoa the Haydan was a direct fit with the lines? The one that I used, I had to modify the tubes. No biggie for me though.

13qt of dextron 6... Got it thanks.

KOT

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Dextron 6?

I have this in my notes for a while. All because mine is an 06 and apparently uses different fluid than earlier models.
    Automatic
    Transmission
    DEXRON®-III Automatic
    Transmission Fluid. Look for
    “Approved for the H-Specification”
    on the label.

I also know there was a big jump in prices just for the fluid between the new 06 and earlier 05 fluids. That was a couple years ago when I last checked though.

KOT
    I have an 03 3.2 and the manual calls for dex-3 9.5 quarts but sometime over the years gm started recommending dex-6 instead of dex-3. I bought 9 quarts dex-6 atf fluid but only ended up using about 5 quarts when I changed my filter and fluid. If you can get your torque conevertor flushed then plan on using the full amount the manual calls for otherwise you won't use it all. I think I used valvoline fluid also.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Whoa the Haydan was a direct fit with the lines? The one that I used, I had to modify the tubes. No biggie for me though.

13qt of dextron 6... Got it thanks.

KOT
    Yes, the Hayden was a direct fit. The original cooler I bought was a B&M unit with 3/8" inlet/outlet. And I was told that they would not install it because it would add restriction to the already finicky system. So, I went out and searched out a 1/2" inlet/outlet oil cooler, because I was told our transmissions use 1/2" lines.

Here are some quick pics, sorry for the lack of lighting, I have class in the evening.

Transmission cooler mounted in front of radiator:
    two.jpg
    Gauge mounted under dash:
    one.jpg
    scooter05 likes this.

Argent1 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

DEXRON, not DEXTRON
    DavidBoren likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.