Problem with Cadillac CTS 2005 at very low speeds grinding, shuddering HELP
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Problem with Cadillac CTS 2005 at very low speeds grinding, shuddering HELP in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have a 2005 Cadillac CTS. Starting about 2 years ago, once in a long while this problem would occur. ...
    dduckusa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

Problem with Cadillac CTS 2005 at very low speeds grinding, shuddering HELP

I have a 2005 Cadillac CTS. Starting about 2 years ago, once in a long while this problem would occur. But in the past month it has increased to about once a week and in the past few days almost once a day. Always occurs at very low speeds. I used to think it would only occur after reversing out of a parking stall then going forward. But yesterday I drove about 10 miles on the freeway, pulled up to and stopped at my house for a couple of minutes and let the engine running, then drove off (did not have to reverse first) and it did it then. The problem is a pretty loud grinding, shuddering, vibrating sound. Again, at very low speeds. Gets a bit louder/intense when I apply the brakes. I have never tried to just accelerate 'out of it'. It does seem though that if I stop the car and turn the engine off and then restart it right away, that it goes away. Any idea what this type of problem may be? When it first happened about a year ago, I took it to a transmission shop but they could not replicate it and hooking my car up to their computer did not provide any error codes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Problem with Cadillac CTS 2005 at very low speeds grinding, shuddering HELP

Manual? Automatic? Where does the sound appear to be coming from?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Manual? Automatic? Where does the sound appear to be coming from?

Thank you for your reply! My car is automatic. Sound seems to be coming from the front half of the car, maybe right under the gear shift, maybe engine.

That's definitely a weird one. I don't have much knowledge about automatics, as I've never owned one. I'm having a hard time thinking of something that would intermittently pop up in the circumstances you've described.

Does the sound change with speed? (I know you said it goes away once you speed up, but when the sound is present does it change pitch or other characteristics based on your speed?) Does it go away at a certain speed? Does it go away when the transmission upshifts to 2nd?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

That's definitely a weird one. I don't have much knowledge about automatics, as I've never owned one. I'm having a hard time thinking of something that would intermittently pop up in the circumstances you've described.

Does the sound change with speed? (I know you said it goes away once you speed up, but when the sound is present does it change pitch or other characteristics based on your speed?) Does it go away at a certain speed? Does it go away when the transmission upshifts to 2nd?

Thanks again for following up, I appreciate you taking the time to think about my problem.

It is strange, the shuddering/grinding will start as I accelerate, and will intensify if I speed up a little, or if I apply the brakes. I have been too afraid to accelerate past 10-15 mph. I don't know, maybe it will go away at a certain speed?

The first time this ever happened was a couple years ago when I was having some problems i thought was the transmission but the mechanic could not find anything wrong, trial/error wise or computer code-wise. His only suggestion was to do a transmission fluid flush. The mechanic said the fluid was like pea soup/slime. At the time the car had 50,000 miles on it. But after the flush, the initial problem went away. But when a few days later this shuddering/grinding happened, I went back to ask the mechanic and he said that since the fluid was that nasty when replaced, maybe there was a particle that was dislodged and the grinding was that particle going through the transmission. But after that time, it did not happen again for about 6 months and would happen about once every 6 months. That is until recently when it has been happening once every few days.

I do seem to remember that when it would happen, it would be a day or two after I switched gas brands. For example, 99% I go to Chevron, but after filling up at Costco or Shell, that grinding instance would happen the next day. Not always, but seems to be if it did occur, that is what I had done to the car recently. I dunno, maybe no connection at all.

Is there a way to possible post a video clip of this when it happens?

You can upload something to youtube, then just post the youtube link here.

I do think it's transmission related, but again I'm no automatic expert. The fact that it goes away if you shut it off and start it back up again makes me think that there might be a solenoid that's sticking in the transmission, and killing power to the solenoid (turning the car off) causes the solenoid to un-stick. Just speculation on my part, really.

I would probably try another fluid flush. Perhaps the fluid is nasty again? And if it nasty, I can't help but wonder if there's a leak in the transmission cooler (which runs through the radiator), allowing some engine coolant to weep into the transmission fluid. Again, just speculating here.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Could be a wheel hub/bearing, or possibly the drive shaft centre bearing. Also, how are you brakes ? Excessively worn brakes can make this sound.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

I do think it's transmission related, but again I'm no automatic expert. The fact that it goes away if you shut it off and start it back up again makes me think that there might be a solenoid that's sticking in the transmission, and killing power to the solenoid (turning the car off) causes the solenoid to un-stick. Just speculation on my part, really.

I would probably try another fluid flush. Perhaps the fluid is nasty again? And if it nasty, I can't help but wonder if there's a leak in the transmission cooler (which runs through the radiator), allowing some engine coolant to weep into the transmission fluid. Again, just speculating here.
    This is what I was thinking as well. If it occurs at a certain speed, or more specifically, in a certain gear... it sounds like a junked/sticking/plugged valve/solenoid. That is why a lot of people advise against flushing transmissions... it moves a lot of debris around into places that it shouldnt be. That debris acts like shrapnel, shreds O-rings, wedges between moving parts. Sometimes it can cause problems that otherwise would have, well, not been problematic.

If its not the transmission itself, it could be severely deteriorated guibos causing your driveshaft to bind/clunk. If your driveshaft is that bad, though, you need to address everything from your transmission mount all the way to your differential bushing, including both flex discs. Fixing one without fixing the others is only buying time.

Thanks so much for the input, it really helps. I was thinking about the transmission flush again, but noticed that when I did it the first time I had 50,000 miles on the car and now it has been about 30,000 later. The mechanic I talked to seemed to think it was too soon to do another one, but maybe I should anyway, especially if the last time the fluid came out gross. Thanks again, I really appreciate your insights.

Quote Originally Posted by Argent1 View Post
    Could be a wheel hub/bearing, or possibly the drive shaft centre bearing. Also, how are you brakes ? Excessively worn brakes can make this sound.
    Brakes seem to be okay. Not sure if its related, but I have noticed recently that when I make hard left turns, that the wheel area makes a bit of a creaking noise. And now that I think about it, once time that this happened is when I pulled off the road sharply for a passing ambulance, then when I turned back onto the road the shuddering started. Maybe coincidence?

shlomi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts

hey

i read this post "Problem with Cadillac CTS 2005 at very low speeds grinding, shuddering HELP"

and i have the same problem, i have cadilac cts 3.6 2005 auto

did someone find the problem? i went to my Mechanic and he say that maybe its a problem with the Catalytic Converter.

hope to hear from u all soon

thanks a lottttt

shlomi

dageiron is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS V6
    Sounds like how my nightmare with my 2005 CTS started. It ended up being the timing belt/chain. Have you ever changed the timing belt? What is the mileage on your car?

shlomi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts

88585 mile
    hi i dont know if the timinf belt has replaced i will chack it. in very slow speed sometimes its sound like knocking with a hammer on the front car

dageiron is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS V6

it may be worth looking into, timing belt should be replaced after 75k. I didn't thus my nightmare! I ended up being suckered into rebuilding my transmission, had to sue to get my money back since it didn't fix the problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.