thoughts about making my rear blinkers running lights?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AAIIIC
  • 1 Post By AAIIIC
  • 1 Post By Kingoftypos
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, thoughts about making my rear blinkers running lights? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I've always thought that cars should have rear running lights. The fronts do, why shouldn't the rear. I'm just not ...
    pinspade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6 liter

thoughts about making my rear blinkers running lights?

I've always thought that cars should have rear running lights. The fronts do, why shouldn't the rear.

I'm just not knowledgeable about wiring. Does anyone have any idea how I could do this? Wire my lights to stay on just as the fronts do. Blink when the blinker is on, and off at night.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Re: thoughts about making my rear blinkers running lights?

The European model CTS has rear fogs above the reverse lights. The reverse lights are each divided horizontally, with the top half on each side dedicated as a red-colored rear facing fog light. Putting clear lenses and amber colored LEDs in there and wiring them to your existing DRLs seems like it would work.

It may actually be as easy as wiring your rear signals to the DRL relay. Im not nearly as proficient with wiring as I am with the mechanical side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    The European model CTS has rear fogs above the reverse lights. The reverse lights are each divided horizontally, with the top half on each side dedicated as a red-colored rear facing fog light. Putting clear lenses and amber colored LEDs in there and wiring them to your existing DRLs seems like it would work.

It may actually be as easy as wiring your rear signals to the DRL relay. Im not nearly as proficient with wiring as I am with the mechanical side of things.
    I didn't really realize that. I'm going to it up. I'm thinking I could just catch photo of my hazards on and see how it would look.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Check your state's motor vehicle laws - it may not be legal to have amber lights on continuously on the rear of the car.

Why not just turn on your parking lights, so the taillights are on all the time?
    Argent1 likes this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Check your state's motor vehicle laws - it may not be legal to have amber lights on continuously on the rear of the car.

Why not just turn on your parking lights, so the taillights are on all the time?
    I will check on that, another thing I didn't think of.

I don't like the look of the taillights on. It's a completely different look. I like the then small amber lights. I will post some pics tomorrow you you guys can see

Quote Originally Posted by pinspade View Post
    I don't like the look of the taillights on. It's a completely different look.
    That is true, it would be a different look. Having your taillights on would look normal. Having your turn signals on all the time would look like your car is broken.
    Argent1 likes this.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC
    That is true, it would be a different look. Having your taillights on would look normal. Having your turn signals on all the time would look like your car is broken.
    Ohhh so it'll look like a mid 90's Honda?

KOT
    Argent1 likes this.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

I was giving my car a walk around today, checking the lights and what-not, and was checking my signals by throwing the flashers on. Upon looking at the ass-end, I thought of this thread.

With the signals in the brake lights lit up, with the brake lights off, it would look broken. Maybe if your rear signals were nice, crisp amber LED light, and you tinted the rest of your tail-lights (except for where the blinker/now-DRL was shining through), it might look okay. It would at least look intentional.

If you want rear facing DRLs, I would get the Euro rear bezel. And put clear lenses in it with amber LED bulbs in the top projector rigged to your DRLs.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    I was giving my car a walk around today, checking the lights and what-not, and was checking my signals by throwing the flashers on. Upon looking at the ass-end, I thought of this thread.

With the signals in the brake lights lit up, with the brake lights off, it would look broken. Maybe if your rear signals were nice, crisp amber LED light, and you tinted the rest of your tail-lights (except for where the blinker/now-DRL was shining through), it might look okay. It would at least look intentional.

If you want rear facing DRLs, I would get the Euro rear bezel. And put clear lenses in it with amber LED bulbs in the top projector rigged to your DRLs.
    I see what you're saying but I don't get how it would look broken?
    I don't like the idea of the euro look because they are a larger light. I want a small crisp look. I'm still iffy on the idea now after reading your responses. I was going to post pics today but my car is in the audio shop getting an aftermarket touchscreen put in. I'm having them retain the dic based off the thread and tutorials someone posted. I'll keep it posted how that works out

It would look broken because no other car in the world has rear-facing amber lights that are on all the time, unless something is broken/mis-wired/shorted.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.