My Laundry list of issues with $$ Amount
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, My Laundry list of issues with $$ Amount in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I just took my 2005 CTS 2.8L to a local dealer to get a quote on all the potential issues ...
    ice berg slim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L

My Laundry list of issues with $$ Amount

I just took my 2005 CTS 2.8L to a local dealer to get a quote on all the potential issues and current issues with the car and WOW alot of stuff need to be fixed. Seems very expensive. What do you guys think? Too much? Just right? Also, I should go back to school to be a mechanic they seem to be making some good coin.

Labor Cost Parts Cost Misc Amount
    Idler Pulley (Engine noise) $126.00 $68.01 $12.60 $206.61
    Front, License bulb $84.00 $10.10 $8.40 $102.50
    Flush Brake System $124.95 $- $12.50 $137.45
    Transmission Flush $219.95 $- $22.00 $241.95
    Front Rotors & Brake Pads $350.00 $220.33 $35.00 $605.33
    Rear Rotors & Brake Pads $350.00 $225.13 $35.00 $610.13
    Battery Replacement $199.93 $- $19.99 $219.92
    3rd Brake Light $84.00 $832.00 $8.40 $924.40
    Fog lamp Assy $140.00 $364.75 $14.00 $518.75
    Front Bumper Complete fix $543.38 $567.57 $167.48 $1,278.43

TOTAL $2,222.21 $2,287.89 $335.37 $4,845.47

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k

Re: My Laundry list of issues with $$ Amount

Holy $$$ batman!!! Seems like a lot of that, if not most of it, could be done at a local shop with cheaper labor rates rather than a dealership.

Some thoughts on some of the items you listed;
    - Front, License bulb, $102? What bulb is out?
    - Pads and Rotors can be had for MUCH cheaper and I would think you would know someone capable of handling that job for a case of beer or something...
    - That battery price is a joke
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Go to R1 concepts, a trusted vendor on this site, and get your brakes. Hell, get slotted, cross-drilled better than OEM brakes... front and rear, rotors and pads, for about $600. DO NOT, pay $600 an axle. That is silly.

If you are to pay $200 for a battery, it better be Optima, and it still better come with a happy ending.

How is the fog lamp assembly not part of a COMPLETE front bumper fix? And, oh yeah, buy the bumper cover off ebay for $120. If you need the bumper bar and everything else, still buy it off ebay. You can do a CTS-V bumper conversion for less than $1,200 (that price makes me throw up a little bit).

What is a front license bulb? My car doesnt have those. I dont know any cars that do. Are they charging you for headlight fluid as well? What about elbow grease?

Hahaha I got a good chuckle from reading both responses. I should specify that the "Park light" bulb is out and one of the bulbs that illuminate my license plate is out.

Quote Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
    Hahaha I got a good chuckle from reading both responses. I should specify that the "Park light" bulb is out and one of the bulbs that illuminate my license plate is out.
    If by park light you mean the small one in the corner you can change that yourself in about 15 minutes without taking the bumper off or taking out the headlight. Just crank the wheel all the way over to expose the wheel well liner, unsnap the retainers and pry it away from the bumper enough to get your arm/hand in there....Feel up to the headlight and you will feel a round cap on the bottom side of it, screw that off and you can get to that bulb and replace it...Takes some contorting but it's totally doable...As for the license plate light...Open your trunk and remove all of the nuts on the rear side of the lid underneath the carpet, that whole bezel will come out and you can replace both LP bulbs...Man these dealers just ROB people blind! $102 to replace these two bulbs is INSANE!!!
    CTSjones and ice berg slim like this.
    Past Cadillac's

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    If by park light you mean the small one in the corner you can change that yourself in about 15 minutes without taking the bumper off or taking out the headlight. Just crank the wheel all the way over to expose the wheel well liner, unsnap the retainers and pry it away from the bumper enough to get your arm/hand in there....Feel up to the headlight and you will feel a round cap on the bottom side of it, screw that off and you can get to that bulb and replace it...Takes some contorting but it's totally doable...As for the license plate light...Open your trunk and remove all of the nuts on the rear side of the lid underneath the carpet, that whole bezel will come out and you can replace both LP bulbs...Man these dealers just ROB people blind! $102 to replace these two bulbs is INSANE!!!
    This might be a Canadian thing haha.

Does GM import mechanics into Canada or something? I can see parts being marked up but not labor rates...Just can't justify $84 in labor to change out a parking light and a license plate light, in total that MIGHT take me 30 minutes to do...Plus, if you are having them do the entire bumper why is it so much to replace the front bulb? The damn bumper is already off of the car! So that brings me back to the license plate bulbs...If the bumper is already off the front bulb is cheap, if not free as far as labor goes...So to me that labor would me mostly for the rear LP lights, how long can it possibly take a trained GM tech to get that bezel off? 10 minutes? This just irritates me for some reason, f'ing stealerships!
    Past Cadillac's

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    Does GM import mechanics into Canada or something? I can see parts being marked up but not labor rates...Just can't justify $84 in labor to change out a parking light and a license plate light, in total that MIGHT take me 30 minutes to do...Plus, if you are having them do the entire bumper why is it so much to replace the front bulb? The damn bumper is already off of the car! So that brings me back to the license plate bulbs...If the bumper is already off the front bulb is cheap, if not free as far as labor goes...So to me that labor would me mostly for the rear LP lights, how long can it possibly take a trained GM tech to get that bezel off? 10 minutes? This just irritates me for some reason, f'ing stealerships!
    Imagine how I felt when I got the quote list. Mind blown. I knew some of the stuff would be costly but over $4000 seemed way wrong

Yes, definitely WAY over priced....And how on earth are the rear rotors/pads the same price as the fronts? They should be at least somewhat cheaper...DO NOT give this dealer your car and a blank check!
    Past Cadillac's

krusty_tc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury Sport

Read up on transmission flushes. Then decide if you want a flush or just the fluid dropped and replaced. Friend of mine also had a flush done on his grand am, and within a day his transmission was slipping.

CtsLAC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L

3rd brake light for almost 1k, you may as well just cut a nut off and hand it over to them. Go on ebay and find one for $350-400 max if you really wanted to get it fixed or replace it. The labor for that is a 15-30 min max job with very little dificulty.

Bulbs running you over $100! Really... go buy bulbs at your local auto parts store for a total of $10-15 and within a half hour you could have them changed.

The pads seem extremely expensive man these prices are insane.

As david said if you are going to pay for a $200 battery it better be an optima. The thing is optimas don't fir in our cat as they have the top posts and hit when you try and close the hood. I would know because I buy $250 optimas for all muy cars and was dissapointed when I couldn't fit it in there.

Last, if you plan on getting all that fixed. Do the simple stuff yourself. You can easily save your self a good chunck of money doing that. Whatever you find more difficult to do and out of your hands, ask local shops what they charge. I garantuee if you buy your own parts and get a local shop to do it you can save youself a good 50% of what the dealership is trying to get out of you.

Cadzilla8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS Northstar V8
    Third brake light is a pretty easy job. You can get a new oem one on eBay for 80$ pick up a set of those trim clip remover tools too take the cover off under trunk lid and boom it's right there. I did it myself in less than 30minutes and Im only 17

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

The ONLY item on that list I'd even consider letting them do is the Idler pully...The rest is simple stuff. Hell, if you had beer and you were near I'd come fix everything else for you.

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

is the idler pulley that much of a SOB to do on the 2.8, because the 3.2 is cake. I got my drilled and slotted R1 concepts rotors plus ceramic pads front/rears for 280 bucks. btw, if anyone is interested in these rotors, let me know. I am thinking of selling my 03 and will probably put everything back stock. I agree with most in this thread, find you a local mechanic, just as good and 10 times cheaper

I know there are some more Canadian members here, maybe they are nearby...relatively. You could have a little fix it session, all of that could be done in an afternoon.
    Past Cadillac's

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.