03 CTS 3.2, How do I remove the timing belt cover?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 03 CTS 3.2, How do I remove the timing belt cover? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi, I have a 2003 CTS and I was wondering if anyone can give me advice about removing the timing ...
    raymondwhite24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

03 CTS 3.2, How do I remove the timing belt cover?

Hi, I have a 2003 CTS and I was wondering if anyone can give me advice about removing the timing belt cover? I have the instructions on how to replace the belt but it does not include how to remove the cover, is it straight forward and that's why it is not in the instructions? I have never done a timing belt before and I want to make sure I do it correctly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rb0757 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 03 CTS 3.2, How do I remove the timing belt cover?

The timing belt is a pretty serious job and if your not mechanically incline you might want to take somewhere taking the cover off is pretty easy take off the serpentine belt take off the water pump pulley take off the crankshaft pulley take off the intake and plumbing take off the tensioner take off theorem steering pump pulley take off the screws holding the cover your done

mikeyc0120 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS M/T

I agree, putting the belt back on with the exact timing isn't easy, i've had to take mine off twice now and its a pain! and I'm doing it without the timing tool. It can be done, but if your timing isn't correct you'll seriously damage the engine. Its not too bad or intimidating if you know how to set timing on it, just getting everything to stay in place without the tool is the hard part.

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

The tensioner pulley on the passengers' side is the pain. Everything else pretty much just unbolts. You also have to take the intake manifold off to get the throttle body out of the way. You might also change the thermostat while you're in there. It's under the intake. I bought the Timing Tool Kit from Amazon for like $100. Made it pretty straightforward.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    I am doing timing belt on my kids Saturn vue, 3.0 v6. Much info on belt. Catera, cts, Saab, vue 3.0 and 3.2 motors use the same belt/kit. They use some Torx external thread bolts. Anyone know for sure what size range they are? Been told E9-11-13 or so?

propninja is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Definatly get that timing tool kit! Makes the job almost painless. It's a lot of work, and the serpentine belt tensioner is going to be the real PITA. While you're at it change out the thermostat, water pump, serpentine belt pulley, serpentine belt and spark plugs

Whats the deal with serp tensioner? Vue motor is sideways. Does it have identical serp bits? Wouldn't think so.

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Serp tensioner bolts go in to the side of the motor, and are difficult to get a socket wrench on because of all the 'stuff' in the way.

I bought a Lisle 26280 Torx socket set on Amazon (made in USA) for under $30 - had all the sockets I needed.

MrCookie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS

Get the timing belt tool. I had the heads on mine rebuilt, but didn't have the tool for the timing belt. was running fine till I took a 200 mile trip and had a dragrace at the end. Blew a head gasket. Now I have to do it all over again.

I rented the timing toolkit. I did my seviile heads so I think I can do the job.

Mrcookie, I gotta ask. Why did u pull heads to begin with? Overhaul? So u blew the headgaskets on both sides?

The person I bought it off of had the belt tensioner go out and shred the serpentine belt. it got under the timing cover and under the timing belt. Bent all the intake valves. I Had the heads done and put it all back together.

bummer. you r&r heads and the headgaskets blow soon after? they say bent valves can lead to cracked pistons or tweaked rods. i would have been more worried about the lower end having issues than the heads failing so soon.

I was worried about that at first. When I took the heads off, you could barely see a difference in the valves. The timing belt just slipped, so everything was just slightly off when it stopped running. If it would have broke, then I would have been looking at replacing pistons if not the whole motor. But for now, I'm still ahead since I got the car for 2k and got it running for another thousand. So I don't mind too much paying $300 for the gasket kit and head bolts to reseal the top end. and how ever much to recheck the heads.

Were all 4 cam sprockets still aligned but crank sprocket was off? Or were all sprockets slightly off?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.