Let me start off by saying this was much more of a PITA than I thought it would be. I spent a total of about 2 months on this project, but alot of that time was waiting for the weather to warm up before pulling the bumper. I still think it's totally worth it on this side of the retrofit.
Anything you would need to know to do this type of project you can find on this website.
I'm a big advocate of paying for higher quality and knowing products will work, so I bought mostly everything from here.
So I started out with doing a ton of research, and decided on a set of bixenon FX-R 3.0s for my projectors, with Morimoto three5 ballasts and Morimoto 6k bulbs. I also got a set of Audi LED lights, and splitters to run the halogen high beams at the same time as the HID highs. I always wanted to be able to return my car to stock one day if necessary, so I bought a set of "new" replacement Eagle Eye brand headlights on Ebay. Long story short, the quality/fitment of the pieces are decent, but the finish was peeling inside the housing. Since I was planning to tear them apart to repaint anyway it wasn't a big deal, but I was still able to get the seller to refund me a good chunk of change
So I really wanted to paint the whole interior shroud black, and leave the entire lens clear. I was not really a fan of the eyebrow look, but couldn't stand the grey anymore! There are a couple screws on the exterior of the housing to remove first.
I recommend leaving the up/down adjustor intact. It comes unthreaded very easily.
Into the oven the headlights went. IIRC, I think I baked them at 350 for about 20 minutes and they pulled apart easily. Unfortunatly, after separating the housing from the lens, you can see the outer interior bezel is chemically bonded to the lens, making it pretty impossible to separate the two without doing damage.
So I decided to settle on tinting the outside border of the lens to cover the grey, while still allowing light to shine through. I used VHT Nightshades spray and put it on pretty thick. About 5 coats by the time I was done.
Shot of the housing with the reflector still mounted.
The halogen projector is secured to the reflector with 4 screws. It looks like this once it's out.
There are three screws that hold the inner interior shroud to the lens. Pretty straightforward.
The bezel was pretty beat up. I never would have put it on my car without refinishing them. It's a good thing I got these housings for next to nothing!
The bezels sanded and prepped for paint. I shot them with ultra cover gloss black because I'm a fool. I recommend using a flat color inside the housing to limit glare/reflection.