Custom Fabbed Headlights (FX-R 3.0s) LOTS-O-PICS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Custom Fabbed Headlights (FX-R 3.0s) LOTS-O-PICS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by Rc102782 [/COLOR]Every car has the "Audi" leds because they are cool. That is like saying they bag ...
    concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Custom Fabbed Headlights (FX-R 3.0s) LOTS-O-PICS

Quote Originally Posted by Rc102782 View Post
    [/COLOR]Every car has the "Audi" leds because they are cool. That is like saying they bag everything or put a blower on everything. There are a lot of ideas that aren't original, I think they get copied because they are f@#$in' cool!
    I agree to an extent, but youll also notice that the LEDs always suit the manufacturers design language. Cadillacs design language is vertical lights. Even our CTS that didnt get the vertical rear leds, still have vertical taillamps. I dont think this style of LEDs suits our CTS.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Matt4949 View Post
    Throw it all back together and this is what you get! Let me know what you all think or if you have any questions. I had never done anything like this, but if you never try you never know
    I dont like the Audi LED's. You did a great job, tho. Finished product looks clean and more 'factory' then the OEM housings. I powdercoated my lower V grill, wheels, and parts of the foglights/drls to match the OEM grey headlight housing. It looks ok with my blue paint, but I would have preferred body colored headlights like yours. Im surprised what you did wasnt stock on the 06-07 Sport models. It looks much cleaner. V bumper for you next?

Matt4949 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS 3.6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by Rc102782 View Post
    Matt, fantastic job! I love every part of it! I wanted to do something very similar, but I wanted the leds to run all the way up the side. What did you mount the leds on or in? Also, what is up with your sunroof? On my '03, when it is open and not just vented, it slides into the roof. It looks like yours tilts up and then slides back.

----------

Every car has the "Audi" leds because they are cool. That is like saying they bag everything or put a blower on everything. There are a lot of ideas that aren't original, I think they get copied because they are f@#$in' cool!
    Thanks man! I think the LEDs running up the side would potentially look good too. Everyone has their own likes, if that's what you envision you should go for it! The LEDs are a strip with 3M double sided tape. I mounted them on the inner bezel (the portion I painted gloss black).

As for my sunroof, it's funny to me how many people notice that. It is an aftermarket sunroof that the previous owner (I am the second) had installed. I bought the car when it was a year old, so I assume it was a lot buy. I actually thought it added to the lines of the car the first time I saw it. No leaks yet (knock on wood), so it's all gravy with me. I drive the car in the rain maybe once a year anyway.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    I agree to an extent, but youll also notice that the LEDs always suit the manufacturers design language. Cadillacs design language is vertical lights. Even our CTS that didnt get the vertical rear leds, still have vertical taillamps. I dont think this style of LEDs suits our CTS.

----------

I dont like the Audi LED's. You did a great job, tho. Finished product looks clean and more 'factory' then the OEM housings. I powdercoated my lower V grill, wheels, and parts of the foglights/drls to match the OEM grey headlight housing. It looks ok with my blue paint, but I would have preferred body colored headlights like yours. Im surprised what you did wasnt stock on the 06-07 Sport models. It looks much cleaner. V bumper for you next?
    I really appreciate all the comments, thank you!

Nothing is ever set in stone, you could always take on a new headlight project and re powdercoat your grilles/fogs if you get ambitious!

I thought about doing a V bumper conversion, but for the time being I'm content with how she looks. Maybe one day, but most likely after some other finances have been adjusted.
    i.e. a new(er) SS.

Keviardi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond CTS Luxury/Sport

Worthy of the read. I love it. So clean and legit. Awesome job man! Bet these pics doesnt do enough justice!

catch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    Just gonna throw this out there...The LED running lights were cool when Audi starting doing it, now EVERYONE and EVERY manufacturer is putting them on their cars, I actually can't stand it anymore since it is no longer original whatsoever.

Enough with the LEDs

But to the OP, nice work, looks like you did a fine job

I never quite got this logic. Sure, audi was the one that started the LED drl's, and a lot of manufactures followed suit, but what's the better alternative? Should they go back to using the same yellowish halogens that have been the standard for the past 30 years? Or maybe they should go with amber halogens instead, because we all know how awesome those are on our cars.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket led drl's, mostly due to the fact that they aren't bright and don't "look" oem... But the oem stuff that's being produced these days look great (for the most part), and above all else - they're incredibly effective for the purpose they serve.

scooter05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts

looks right on. good work and i like the light shine, clean .
    Matt4949 likes this.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, Breather cap, drilled PCV, tranny cooler...

I think I might do something similar to you Audi-esque LED's, but with yellow LED's, and rig them to my turn signals.
    Matt4949 likes this.

sandalet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-2003, 3.2 automatic

I like the work done. But there are nuances.
    I'm not sure that the use of epoxy resin securely mount the projector, which is in the process of espluatatsii will heat up slightly and can be displaced.
    Perhaps for this reason, I refuse to FX-R and try Hella or Koito. I hope there are options projectors bolt-on ...

Quote Originally Posted by sandalet View Post
    I like the work done. But there are nuances.
    I'm not sure that the use of epoxy resin securely mount the projector, which is in the process of espluatatsii will heat up slightly and can be displaced.
    Perhaps for this reason, I refuse to FX-R and try Hella or Koito. I hope there are options projectors bolt-on ...
    Funny you should mention this. We had about a week of 100 degree weather with about 90% humidity, and the projectors did settle ever so slightly. It took about 30 seconds to adjust them back to where they needed to be. No other issues yet!

My original plan was to drill and tap into the reflector. Unfortunatly, the FX-Rs are just way too big. If you used a smaller projector, I'm sure this method would work well for your application, as well as with your reservations.

Perhaps the use of FX-R 2.5 inches solve this problem?

Doubtful. I have the 2.5" lens. From what I understand the 3" lens differs only in the size of the lens, not the projector housing. Furthermore, it is purely aesthetic, and lens size does not affect output.

I wanted the biggest, baddest projector I could fit in the headlights, and the FX-Rs are it. If you are really concerned about the projectors settling, I would suggest looking into a mini H1 or something similar. It will still give adequate performance, but is much easier to mount, being so much smaller.

Still, adjusting the headlights takes 30 seconds with an allen key if you mount the projectors on the reflector.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt4949 View Post
    Doubtful. I have the 2.5" lens. From what I understand the 3" lens differs only in the size of the lens, not the projector housing. F
    Oops ... I did not know it))) H1 I do not accept, they are too dubious quality. I might try to install projectors that I have right now. This projector Lexus RX-350. But this projector-beam headlamps.

Now I don't know, but those look like they may fit. The issue with the FX-Rs was their width, but these (judging solely on the picture) appear to protrude out much further from the bowl. A little trimming may be required, but if you can get the lens flush with the inner bezel without taking out too much of the reflector, it looks to me like it would be possible to mount these.

If it helps, the stock projectors measure approximately 5 1/4" long x 4" wide at their widest point. The lens is 2.5".

Nice projectors, too. I say go for it!

rayrod354 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS w/ V Series Bumper, Headlight painted eyelids...

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    Just gonna throw this out there...The LED running lights were cool when Audi starting doing it, now EVERYONE and EVERY manufacturer is putting them on their cars, I actually can't stand it anymore since it is no longer original whatsoever.

Enough with the LEDs

But to the OP, nice work, looks like you did a fine job

I agree. Tired of seeing stupid LEDs everywhere on every car. But great job.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.