Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Engine problems - oil leak

845 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2007 cadillac cts sport edition. On my way to work today, I was driving and all of a sudden I was at a stop light and the car wouldnt go. When a police offer came and I got out of the car all the oil was all over the road. At first I thought it was the transmission fluid by the it appears to be all oil since it was black and not red or pink.... I just had an oil change about a month ago.

Has anyone else had any issues such as this??

Thanks,
Mike

#2 ·
The car wouldnt go? As in the engine seized? Or it wouldnt go into gear? If it wouldnt change gears, then that sounds like what happens when the transmission cooler lines disconnect from the radiator.

But if you say its oil, then its something I have not heard of happening to our cars. Random catastrophic oil spillage. Anyone else have some insight? Would a timing chain failure drop the oil out of the engine?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The dealer just called and said a fitting by the radiator tank cracked or broke off and the coolant line blew off the radiator which caused the transmission fluid to leak out. I guess it was a dark brown color due to not changing it in a few years. They want to replace the radiator, put new coolant and flush the transmission fluid out of the transmission for about $1475. They also want to replace front brake pads for $350. Not sure if I should have someone else just do everything or not. I think the parts are about $560 alone.

#4 ·
Do not have them put in the same crappy radiator/transmission cooler that just failed you. Hayden makes an external cooler with 1/2" fittings (same as our radiators) that works great on our cars. Your radiator should be fine, just the transmission cooler part of it is shot. Leave the radiator in there, have them install the Hayden 1240 Swirl-Cool. The external cooler, mounting hardware, and fittings are less than $560. I had a flush/filter/fill service done at the dealership at the same time they installed my Swirl-Cool, and a Hayden temperature gauge. And all of that was $480, including labor. At a dealership. $1400 is horseshit-highway-robbery. The temperature gauge I had them install even involved drilling a hole in the transmission pan and installing a sensor... plus mounting the actual gauge under my dash. That is a lot more work than what they are talking about doing to your car, for a third of the price. Get a second opinion on what youre about to have done. $1400 seems just too steep.

#6 ·
Hello MJM2351,

I apologize that the concern with your radiator happened when you were out driving today. I am happy to hear that the dealership was able to diagnose what went wrong. I have documented this for future reference. Please keep us updated on the situation with your repair. If you have any further questions or concerns, please message us privately and we would be happy to assist. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.