voltage drops and engine stalls
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, voltage drops and engine stalls in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have a 2003 cts 3.2 liter, the car stalls when the voltage drops to 12,5 volts. When I start ...
    danielfilteau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts 2003

Unhappy voltage drops and engine stalls

I have a 2003 cts 3.2 liter, the car stalls when the voltage drops to 12,5 volts. When I start the voltage is 14.5, then after a few minutes the vlotage drops down gradualy to finally get at 12.5 volts and then the engine stops. I noticed that it reaches the deadly 12,5 volt when I break, probably because the engine slows down. After every stalls the engine will not start again for appprox. 1 hour, until the battery voltage rises and then it would work normaly. I had the battery and alternator checked by a regular mechanic, not a dealer, and was told that they are ok . I don't know what to do. I'm affraid of using my car now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    Your alternator could be intermittent. Your mechanic may have tested it when it was working, because if your voltage is dropping to 12.5 it means your alternator is not charging.

Re: voltage drops and engine stalls

Quote Originally Posted by jran0823 View Post
    Your alternator could be intermittent. Your mechanic may have tested it when it was working, because if your voltage is dropping to 12.5 it means your alternator is not charging.
    thanks, I does the same scenario now eachtime I run my car. It starts, runs, after few miles , voltge drops, when it reaches less then 13volts, next time I stop, it stalls and will start again after half hour. I red there are a lot of similar problems and the crankshaft position sensor was the problem. But the obd code for this problem does not show on the onboard computer. do you think it can be the sensor even if it does not show on ecm?
    thank you

CtsLAC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by danielfilteau View Post
    I have a 2003 cts 3.2 liter, the car stalls when the voltage drops to 12,5 volts. When I start the voltage is 14.5, then after a few minutes the vlotage drops down gradualy to finally get at 12.5 volts and then the engine stops. I noticed that it reaches the deadly 12,5 volt when I break, probably because the engine slows down. After every stalls the engine will not start again for appprox. 1 hour, until the battery voltage rises and then it would work normaly. I had the battery and alternator checked by a regular mechanic, not a dealer, and was told that they are ok . I don't know what to do. I'm affraid of using my car now.
    Just to be on the safe side I would get it checked again at another place. I don't know about where you live, but here we have autozone and oreillys that test batteries and alternators for free

On my hyundai I would always have problems with my battery dying on me, but everytime I would take it to get tested yhey told me the battery was still good. Around yhe 4th or 5th time this happened to me after getting it fully charged every time, oI took it to amother place and they told me the batyery was mo good and the I needed a new one. It doesn't hurt to double check.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Sounds like it might be the internals of the alternator. Maybe the regulator or rectifier module. Or possibly as simple as a bad connection/ wire .

thanks, I will see an other palce. something else:I noticed that when the ecm indicates 13,5 volts; when I measure the battery voltage while the engine is running, my voltmetre indicates 15 volts!!

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by danielfilteau
    thanks, I will see an other palce. something else:I noticed that when the ecm indicates 13,5 volts; when I measure the battery voltage while the engine is running, my voltmetre indicates 15 volts!!
    Mine is about 1-1.5 volts off of the DIC as well. Never worried me.

Brandon03CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

I would check to make sure that the terminals on the battery are clean and snug up against the battery posts. It is a quick and free solution and I have seen cars do some crazy things with loose or corroded battery connections.

thank you for your answers. But I am actually changing my investigation. I was focusing on the voltage but I just realised that everytime that stalled the voltage droped to 12,5 v beacuse the engine is stalled. sometimes I felt that the engine had stalled then went back on. at those moments I saw voltage drops, probably because the engine was off for a little time. there are no obd codes in the ecm related to sensors or charging system. the voltage of the battery is always good even when stalled. So I think that maybe it's not electrical but a fuel problem.
    I remembered that about 1 month ago I ran out of gas and the troubles followed. I started by feeling some misfire during acceleration for a brief moment, like a transmission problem, but maybe it was a brief leak of gas.
    So I still stall everythime I take my care but it can be after a few miles or 10 miles. mostly when I stop. everytime I have to wait about an hour to have the car start again. during this time there is always enough power to crank but it won t start. when it finaly starts it runs perfect. SO: Could I have a fuel problem? filter or cps or else? I have no obd code related to this. I don't know how to check if the fuel is constant and I red that the fuel pump never fail on these car.

bamimpalass is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

I have the same year car with the same problem right now. I start at 15 v and then slowly drop to 12 v and the car stalls out and wont start back up for an hour or so. this is the part that gets me, how does the car charge back up to 15v with out a charge. this does not make sense to.

rayrod354 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS w/ V Series Bumper, Headlight painted eyelids...

I have two threads open at this time... One relating the maybe a bad ECM and one related to the vehicle shaking which could be due to the voltage dropping...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ar-shakes.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ease-read.html

Maybe this is all related... But what causes the voltage on the battery to drop? The battery is only a few months old...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.