CTS rear end differential needed ASAP
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By DavidBoren
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, CTS rear end differential needed ASAP in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello guys, New to the forums, I know forums are the best way to find parts and help. I have ...
    Cjdubs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

CTS rear end differential needed ASAP

Hello guys,
    New to the forums, I know forums are the best way to find parts and help.
    I have a 2003 cts and the rear differential just crapped out on me bad.
    So I'm in search of one ASAP in the tri-state NY, NJ, PA area and willing to drive to pick it up.
    I appreciate if anyone can help I had no luck in the classifieds

I can be reached via PM on here or text me at 8457015915

Thanks again,
    Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, Breather cap, drilled PCV, tranny cooler...

Re: CTS rear end differential needed ASAP

Ebay has million of these things.

Cjdubs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Thank you, I've found a couple.
    Will a manual transmission differential work with my automatic?

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

The manual trans dif is 3.73 ratio correct? while auto was 3.42? If I'm correct the reason the manual is 3.73 is because the manual was a 6spd while auto is 5. For in town the 3.73 would be nicer, but would suck on the interstate.

DavidW87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 V6, AFE CAI, CTS-V grill,

I literally just ordered mine. I went on www.car-parts.com search for carrier assembly. I found one for 375 including freight shipping that was in a passenger side door impact wreck with 19,000 miles on it. Make sure that you know exactly which ratio you have for your car based on the RPO codes under your spare wheel cover. If you have code GU6 you need a 3.42 Ratio . Any carrier assembly from 2004-2007 automatic with that ratio will fit your car. There is no need to look for a manual one and honestly I don't know if it will fit but there are literally hundreds of rear diffs available for sale when you look on ebay or dismantler warehouses.

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

Nice. Wonder what It'd take to beef up our differentials, instead of buying a whole new cradle?

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Could he put in the G80 option diff. ? That would be a good upgrade if he doesn't have it now.

Its not like these cars have a top-end worth bragging about anyways, and regardless, in The Peoples' Republik of Emerika, the interstates are all governed to less than our max-fuel-shut-off anyways. Being the highest speed limit anywhere in this vast country of ours is, what, 80mph, we might as well try to get there are quickly as possible.

With that in mind, grab the 3.73 G80 pumpkin. Or, better yet, the 3.93 G80 diff out of the Euro-spec CTS. Have some fun with it, make it squeal the tires, no sense is just replacing it with what was there before.
    Iceman_jd and Iceman_jd like this.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen View Post
    The manual trans dif is 3.73 ratio correct? while auto was 3.42? If I'm correct the reason the manual is 3.73 is because the manual was a 6spd while auto is 5. For in town the 3.73 would be nicer, but would suck on the interstate.
    I havent seen any evidence the 6manual was ever attached to 3.73. The 3.2L with 5 speed manual Getrag was attached to a 3.73 open. All 5l40es were attached to 3.43 open or LSD. The 6speed manual Aisin was attached to 3.43 open or LSD.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    Its not like these cars have a top-end worth bragging about anyways, and regardless, in The Peoples' Republik of Emerika, the interstates are all governed to less than our max-fuel-shut-off anyways. Being the highest speed limit anywhere in this vast country of ours is, what, 80mph, we might as well try to get there are quickly as possible.

With that in mind, grab the 3.73 G80 pumpkin. Or, better yet, the 3.93 G80 diff out of the Euro-spec CTS. Have some fun with it, make it squeal the tires, no sense is just replacing it with what was there before.
    I can think of 2 good reasons why you shouldnt put 3.93's, engine life and gas mileage. At 80 mph, I estimate yooll be around 3500 rpm. I dont think you really want to operate this engine at 3500 rpm constantly for hours. Youre also looking at close to 10-12 mpg at those speeds and rpms. I wouldnt do 3.73 or 393 without changing the the trans gears, if I was going to be doing interstate speeds consistently. Also, can you show anything that supports your claim the euro CTS have 3.93? Theyd have to change the trans gears and as well...they care more about mileage in europe, and GM gives them they worse-for-mileage gear? Im skeptical...

Sorry, the 3.91 (not 3.93) was in one of the SRX's (AWD?) and possibly the RWD STS.

Not even sure if those are compatible gearboxs. My bad. Grab the 3.73's.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.