What have you all done to your CTS? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, What have you all done to your CTS? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by =Javi= well do what do you want pic of I'm curious about your interior and race tranny...
    Teedoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS Base
    Quote Originally Posted by =Javi=
    well do what do you want pic of
    I'm curious about your interior and race tranny

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: What have you all done to your CTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    The 3.6 came with 2.25" exhaust stock so I cant see 1/4" increase causing much (if any) HP loss. I also have a volant and bigger wheels. I couldn't tell if there were any gains or losses in HP at this point. I would need a tune for the CAI and exhaust (to include other bolt ons) to see any gains in HP. Im ready to smoke my tires lol. All I need is a RX starter kit and my a$$ dyno.

I mainly wanted a deeper sounding exhaust.

You may want to talk to tlorzen. I believe that he had a actual dyno done after he installed the RX super kit and his V exhaust with the H Pipe. .
    Ive noticed quite a few people on here lately saying the stock exhaust is 2.25". That claim disagrees with what Ive seen in person. Both my 06 and my 07 had 2" exhaust pipes. I have a stock system in my garage, and its clearly 2"...thats measuring the outside, too, not the inside. I measured before and after the center resonator as well.
    AFAIK, that dyno run was only a before and after of the TB...so it doesnt really say anything about the exhaust.

Magnaflow suggests 2-2.25 for the 3.6L(220cu.in)
    http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question10.asp

This article suggests 2-2.25 as well. It says 2" is good to 289 hp, while 2.25 is good up to 371 hp.
    http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how...pipe-diameter/

Corsas V6 exhuast system was 2.25 for the first few years, but noone was spending the money to buy their system, so they started selling the 2.5" V system as a V6 system. When they did their initial testing, tho, their choice was 2.25. I havent been shown any evidence that the 2.5" is the good choice for hp. Its the choice for low cost and sound, tho.

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Quote Originally Posted by concorso
    Ive noticed quite a few people on here lately saying the stock exhaust is 2.25". That claim disagrees with what Ive seen in person. Both my 06 and my 07 had 2" exhaust pipes. I have a stock system in my garage, and its clearly 2"...thats measuring the outside, too, not the inside. I measured before and after the center resonator as well.
    AFAIK, that dyno run was only a before and after of the TB...so it doesnt really say anything about the exhaust.

This article suggests 2-2.25 as well. It says 2" is good to 289 hp, while 2.25 is good up to 371 hp.

Corsas V6 exhuast system was 2.25 for the first few years, but noone was spending the money to buy their system, so they started selling the 2.5" V system as a V6 system. When they did their initial testing, tho, their choice was 2.25. I havent been shown any evidence that the 2.5" is the good choice for hp. Its the choice for low cost and sound, tho.
    Concorso, I totally agree with your point. I too measured it recently in my research to turbo my CTS and found that actual measurements are less than 2.25. I think a lot of members tho are more interested in looks and sound of their car than the power. That's normal when buying a V6 Cadillac instead of the V. Size is a huge determining factor in power. I love it when Honda guys add a header and intake and a 2.75" or bigger exhaust. They lose like 15 hp doing that lol. If I go turbo I will still be going 2.5" instead of 3". I will need a bit of back pressure to help the turbo spool up quicker, even tho it won't be a huge turbo. But if I stay N/A I will try and stay 2.25" I don't thing a 3.6 flows enough air to warrant a 2.5 and N/A definitely needs some back pressure.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by concorso

Well slap me silly and call me susie hahaha. I haven't measured my exhaust so 2" is most likely correct. I remember doing a bit of research a few years back and that is what i came up with. I probably got it from a post. All these years Ive been living a lieeee.

I guess i will be gtg if I decide to go into the performance aspect of my car. I would love to turbo the car. The problem is having time and money lol. This is my DD and i have a wife and kid. So it wont happen unless I make this my project car and pick up something new.

I really just wanted a better sound from my car. I am happy with the H pipe VEE exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07

I guess i will be gtg if I decide to go into the performance aspect of my car. I would love to turbo the car. The problem is having time and money lol. This is my DD and i have a wife and kid. So it wont happen unless I make this my project car and pick up something new.
    Well when I turbo the car it won't actually cost that much. A turbo alone isn't all that expensive. I will get a piping kit for the intake. There will be a bit of exhaust work. I have a boost controller at home, and a wastegate. Like mentioned, putting the turbo underneath the car saves from modifying the headers. As for reliability, no real need to run 30psi. If I can go with about 8-10psi and get 50-75hp out of it I will be happy and the reliability will still be there.

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    How much is the ecu for the turbo? Or can we get ours tuned?

Quote Originally Posted by ztollon
    How much is the ecu for the turbo? Or can we get ours tuned?
    I'm not too sure. I haven't had two seconds to wipe my ass let alone call Tracy at RX to he some info. I want to find out if the stock ECU will compensate for the added air. Everything else should be ok. Might need injectors. Not too sure what ours will flow. I am hoping to get some info from RX and if it all works out well he can make a piece together system that customers can buy. Like I said, it won't be big boost because I too want it to be reliable. But 50hp is fine with me if I get to hear the BOV and also the wastegate dump to atmosphere. That's an orgasm for the ears lmao.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    ... Might need injectors. Not too sure what ours will flow...
    Our injectors are crap... 230cc/min @ 3 bar/48psi. You will need new ones, even with 10psi of boost. You actually most likely need better ones after installing the standard bolt-ons (CAI, VMAX, Vee exhaust) and getting your car tuned properly to run with them.

The LS2 uses shorty style injectors, like ours, and they flow at 340cc/min @ 4 bar/58psi. Im just not sure how to compensate for the fuel rail pressure.

And Javi, do tell about the race modded tranny. I am all ears about people doing anything to 5L40E. For anyone else that is interested in making their transmissions not suck, check out Level-10. Link:
    http://www.levelten.com/ProductDetai...7000S&CartID=1

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren

The LS2 uses shorty style injectors, like ours, and they flow at 340cc/min @ 4 bar/58psi. Im just not sure how to compensate for the fuel rail pressure.
    Fuel pressure regulator. I have one of those sitting in my garage too. Come to think a out it, I should just buy another talon, I have all the parts to make it rip ass lol. But hey, a turbo CTS is far more interesting.

=Javi= is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    And Javi, do tell about the race modded tranny. I am all ears about people doing anything to 5L40E. For anyone else that is interested in making their transmissions not suck, check out Level-10. Link:
    http://www.levelten.com/ProductDetai...7000S&CartID=1
    i have no ideal what they did to the trany the original trany got burnt when i took it ti the strip on day well that what the mechanic said the mechanic is a really close friend of my dad and bought and modded the new trany for race not sure what he did but it working better then the old one

and Teedoe will put pic up later on today

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    Is there a such thing as an E93 tune? I only feed my Cadillac premium fuel, generally Chevron w/techron, but Shell V-power is preferred as well. Anyways, can I get my car tuned to take advantage of the extra octane? Im not worried about not being able to use E85 fuel ever again. I do not plan on using it in my CTS anyways. I keep a bottle of techron in my trunk just in case I ever have to fill up with sub-grade gasoline for some ungodly reason. What sort of advantages could I expect?
    E85 is 85% ethanol; I'm guessing that's not what you're using. E93 would be 93% ethanol. Do you mean 93 octane? If so, yes, you can get the ECU tuned for higher octane fuel. It won't gain you much, but it can be done.

AAIIIC, what I mean is that a roots blower.....no one makes one. Too much engineering to make one for our cars for the $ return. A belt driven blower is doable, but again, no one makes one.
    A Roots (or other screw-type) blower is also belt driven. I think you meant centrifugal rather than belt driven. Yes, getting all the bracketry and belt routing / tensioning figured out on your own is challenging, but folks have done it. More often than not, though, the "home brewed" supercharger setups look like home brewed setups - pretty rough.

Making a bit of power with a decent turbo. No sweat. Making lots of power with a decent turbo...more advanced. There isn't a whole lot to making power with a turbo. The only thing that needs to be precise is the turbo. Home made pipes and big exhaust.
    The only thing that needs to be precise is the tune. You risk having very expensive problems (broken ring lands, holed pistons, etc) if that part isn't right.

The T25 was used on a 2.4L 4 banger.
    Ah well, I was off by a bit. Regardless, you're still proposing using that turbo on an engine with 50% more displacement. It's going to spool up very early and quickly, which will make tuning difficult and will put a lot of stress on the engine.

But I'm not trying to make 600hp. If I can get 50 hp and get to listen to my wastegate dump to atmosphere and here the BOV rip open all the time, I am happy.
    You can buy a noisemaker that plugs into the cigarette lighter if all you want is the noises. And the T25 is going to fall flat on its face at such a low RPM that I don't know if even that 50hp will be achievable.

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Also, have you noticed any hp drop from the V exhaust? Because of the V tubing diameter, it might not increase hp, and it might actually hurt hp. Dual 2.5" from the V is a massive jump over the dual 2" stock tubing. Dual 2.5" tubing is generally saved for bigger displacement engines, like 6L LS engines.
    A larger exhaust will not hurt horsepower. It may shift the power band in a way that is suboptimal for a daily driver street car, but it will not cost horsepower.

I love it when Honda guys add a header and intake and a 2.75" or bigger exhaust. They lose like 15 hp doing that lol.
    No, they don't.

If I go turbo I will still be going 2.5" instead of 3". I will need a bit of back pressure to help the turbo spool up quicker, even tho it won't be a huge turbo.
    The whole discussion of backpressure and exhausts is internet junk science. Backpressure has essentially nothing to do with an efficient exhaust system.

I don't understand how backpressure would help a turbo spool up quicker. The turbo has a turbine in the exhaust. It spins up based on exhaust flow across the turbine. Putting backpressure in the system would mean less flow, which would mean slower spool. There's a reason that one of the first mods that everyone does to any turbo car to gain power is a bigger downpipe and freer-flowing exhaust! If you follow through on the turbo idea I would strongly recommend either dual 2.5" or single 3" exhaust.

But if I stay N/A I will try and stay 2.25" I don't thing a 3.6 flows enough air to warrant a 2.5 and N/A definitely needs some back pressure.
    No, it doesn't. Do yourself a favor and just forget anything you've read about exhaust "tuning" and backpressure. Google for some articles written by David Vizard about exhaust system design.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    I believe I will get better bo[d]y roll handling once I get a STB.
    A strut tower brace will have zero impact on body roll.

Quote Originally Posted by =Javi= View Post
    i have no ideal what they did to the trany the original trany got burnt when i took it ti the strip on day well that what the mechanic said the mechanic is a really close friend of my dad and bought and modded the new trany for race not sure what he did but it working better then the old one
    Does that make sense when you read it back to yourself?
    Tlorenzen and DavidBoren like this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Yes, I meant 93 octane fuel. Premium fuel tune. I guess I just really want to get my car tuned, premium fuel or not. Im trying to track down ChevyHighPerfromance's tune tables as a starting point for Trifecta to tweak for high octane fuel and throw it on a EZ-Flash cable for me.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I would think for most tuners one of the "standard" things to do is to optimize the tune for premium gas. That's true of just about any platform.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

=Javi= is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts

Quote Originally Posted by Teedoe View Post
    I'm curious about your interior and race tranny

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.