Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What have you all done to your CTS?

22K views 91 replies 24 participants last post by  DavidBoren 
#1 ·
What has everyone done to make their CTS better?
What sort of custom mods have you engineered to fill the void in the available aftermarket?
Has anyone ported/polished/blueprinted/balanced/done anything to the internals of their LY7?
Anyone using MACE cams?
Does anyone on this forum have a forced-induction LY7?

I have not done much to mine, just a Hayden external transmission cooler w/ temp gauge, Volant intake, and a RX breather cap.

This is just pathetic; considering I have the RX Ice-lator, NGK Iridium spark plugs, RX dual valve catch can, drilled out PCV tube, CS diff bushing and block, and a brand new transmission mount w/ RevShift reinforcing block all just sitting in my trunk. All of that, probably $1000 worth of toys, sitting in my trunk waiting to be installed.

I, personally, am a mad scientist, and I like to hear about peoples' tinkerings. Tell everyone about your CTS, and what makes it yours.

#39 ·
DavidBoren said:
I am really looking forward to the H-pipe/Vee exhaust. I think it is exactly what Im looking for.

And unless the OEM CTS-V suspension somehow adds to the existing body roll of the CTS-Jr, I would imagine that it is still an upgrade over stock. Putting that suspension in our cars is like reducing a Vee-car's weight by a quarter ton. And people would pay good money for that.

What I really, REALLY wish, was that the Ultra Racing chassis braces fit the gen-one cars. Did D3 ever make braces for the V1? I would love for every damn empty bolt hole under my car to have a stiff-ass bar bolted between them, front to rear, side to side. I do not want to have to settle for just a STB.
I think the H pipe is the most popular on the forums these days. You won't be disappointed. That would be awesome if there was a brace kit for the V1. I'll drop a line to one of the D3 guys i follow.

I have 20" wheels and a sound system so the weight of the car is higher i guess. The ride is good with the wheels on it. Its not too aggressive. Im just not happy with the amount of body roll i still get. My bushings/end-links might be bad and replacing that stuff will probably help. I still haven't confirmed which STB I need that wont need modification.

#40 ·
so for this is what i have done
20" boss rims
tinted turn singles and side markers and grill emblem
race modded tranny
Louis Vuitton interior pillars
1 amp and 1 sub
windshield strobe lights
hid fog lights
tinted windows
exhaust tips
white brake calipers

what i want to do still
tint the windshield
repaint it black with ice pearls
drilled slotted rotors
cai
clear fog lights

#41 ·
=Javi= said:
so for this is what i have done
20" boss rims
tinted turn singles and side markers and grill emblem
race modded tranny
Louis Vuitton interior pillars
1 amp and 1 sub
windshield strobe lights
hid fog lights
tinted windows
exhaust tips
white brake calipers

what i want to do still
tint the windshield
repaint it black with ice pearls
drilled slotted rotors
cai
clear fog lights
Get us some pics my man

#44 ·
I do not mind a little raspiness. I hate the pop-pop-pop that every damn Civic seems to have. It comes right after the dickhead driving said Civic accelerates really fast and then lets off the skinny pedal. BBBLLLLLLLAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-pop-pop-pop...
Gross.

I was thinking about the Vee exhaust on the V6. Do torque numbers drop with the bigger pipes? I might just H-pipe the stock exhaust to get a little deeper tone.

#45 ·
concorso said:
...The V exhaust can get crackly just like the stock exhuast. Simply remove resonator and mufflers. Been there, done that. Also, have you noticed any hp drop from the V exhaust? Because of the V tubing diameter, it might not increase hp, and it might actually hurt hp. Dual 2.5" from the V is a massive jump over the dual 2" stock tubing. Dual 2.5" tubing is generally saved for bigger displacement engines, like 6L LS engines.
I haven't experienced any crackly sound from the VEE exhaust since the installation but I do have a CAT that needs repair. That probably affects my A$$ dyno.

The 3.6 came with 2.25" exhaust stock so I cant see 1/4" increase causing much (if any) HP loss. I also have a volant and bigger wheels. I couldn't tell if there were any gains or losses in HP at this point. I would need a tune for the CAI and exhaust (to include other bolt ons) to see any gains in HP. Im ready to smoke my tires lol. All I need is a RX starter kit and my a$$ dyno.

I mainly wanted a deeper sounding exhaust.

----------

DavidBoren said:
I was thinking about the Vee exhaust on the V6. Do torque numbers drop with the bigger pipes? I might just H-pipe the stock exhaust to get a little deeper tone.
You may want to talk to tlorzen. I believe that he had a actual dyno done after he installed the RX super kit :) and his V exhaust with the H Pipe. .

#47 ·
The 3.6 came with 2.25" exhaust stock so I cant see 1/4" increase causing much (if any) HP loss. I also have a volant and bigger wheels. I couldn't tell if there were any gains or losses in HP at this point. I would need a tune for the CAI and exhaust (to include other bolt ons) to see any gains in HP. Im ready to smoke my tires lol. All I need is a RX starter kit and my a$$ dyno.

I mainly wanted a deeper sounding exhaust.

You may want to talk to tlorzen. I believe that he had a actual dyno done after he installed the RX super kit :) and his V exhaust with the H Pipe. .
Ive noticed quite a few people on here lately saying the stock exhaust is 2.25". That claim disagrees with what Ive seen in person. Both my 06 and my 07 had 2" exhaust pipes. I have a stock system in my garage, and its clearly 2"...thats measuring the outside, too, not the inside. I measured before and after the center resonator as well.
AFAIK, that dyno run was only a before and after of the TB...so it doesnt really say anything about the exhaust.

Magnaflow suggests 2-2.25 for the 3.6L(220cu.in)
http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question10.asp

This article suggests 2-2.25 as well. It says 2" is good to 289 hp, while 2.25 is good up to 371 hp.
http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how-to-calculate-muffler-size-pipe-diameter/

Corsas V6 exhuast system was 2.25 for the first few years, but noone was spending the money to buy their system, so they started selling the 2.5" V system as a V6 system. When they did their initial testing, tho, their choice was 2.25. I havent been shown any evidence that the 2.5" is the good choice for hp. Its the choice for low cost and sound, tho.

#48 ·
concorso said:
Ive noticed quite a few people on here lately saying the stock exhaust is 2.25". That claim disagrees with what Ive seen in person. Both my 06 and my 07 had 2" exhaust pipes. I have a stock system in my garage, and its clearly 2"...thats measuring the outside, too, not the inside. I measured before and after the center resonator as well.
AFAIK, that dyno run was only a before and after of the TB...so it doesnt really say anything about the exhaust.

This article suggests 2-2.25 as well. It says 2" is good to 289 hp, while 2.25 is good up to 371 hp.

Corsas V6 exhuast system was 2.25 for the first few years, but noone was spending the money to buy their system, so they started selling the 2.5" V system as a V6 system. When they did their initial testing, tho, their choice was 2.25. I havent been shown any evidence that the 2.5" is the good choice for hp. Its the choice for low cost and sound, tho.
Concorso, I totally agree with your point. I too measured it recently in my research to turbo my CTS and found that actual measurements are less than 2.25. I think a lot of members tho are more interested in looks and sound of their car than the power. That's normal when buying a V6 Cadillac instead of the V. Size is a huge determining factor in power. I love it when Honda guys add a header and intake and a 2.75" or bigger exhaust. They lose like 15 hp doing that lol. If I go turbo I will still be going 2.5" instead of 3". I will need a bit of back pressure to help the turbo spool up quicker, even tho it won't be a huge turbo. But if I stay N/A I will try and stay 2.25" I don't thing a 3.6 flows enough air to warrant a 2.5 and N/A definitely needs some back pressure.

#49 ·
concorso said:

Well slap me silly and call me susie hahaha. I haven't measured my exhaust so 2" is most likely correct. I remember doing a bit of research a few years back and that is what i came up with. I probably got it from a post. All these years Ive been living a lieeee. :(

I guess i will be gtg if I decide to go into the performance aspect of my car. I would love to turbo the car. The problem is having time and money lol. This is my DD and i have a wife and kid. So it wont happen unless I make this my project car and pick up something new.

I really just wanted a better sound from my car. I am happy with the H pipe VEE exhaust.

#50 ·
Bluehaze07 said:
I guess i will be gtg if I decide to go into the performance aspect of my car. I would love to turbo the car. The problem is having time and money lol. This is my DD and i have a wife and kid. So it wont happen unless I make this my project car and pick up something new.
Well when I turbo the car it won't actually cost that much. A turbo alone isn't all that expensive. I will get a piping kit for the intake. There will be a bit of exhaust work. I have a boost controller at home, and a wastegate. Like mentioned, putting the turbo underneath the car saves from modifying the headers. As for reliability, no real need to run 30psi. If I can go with about 8-10psi and get 50-75hp out of it I will be happy and the reliability will still be there.

#52 ·
ztollon said:
How much is the ecu for the turbo? Or can we get ours tuned?
I'm not too sure. I haven't had two seconds to wipe my ass let alone call Tracy at RX to he some info. I want to find out if the stock ECU will compensate for the added air. Everything else should be ok. Might need injectors. Not too sure what ours will flow. I am hoping to get some info from RX and if it all works out well he can make a piece together system that customers can buy. Like I said, it won't be big boost because I too want it to be reliable. But 50hp is fine with me if I get to hear the BOV and also the wastegate dump to atmosphere. That's an orgasm for the ears lmao.

#53 ·
... Might need injectors. Not too sure what ours will flow...
Our injectors are crap... 230cc/min @ 3 bar/48psi. You will need new ones, even with 10psi of boost. You actually most likely need better ones after installing the standard bolt-ons (CAI, VMAX, Vee exhaust) and getting your car tuned properly to run with them.

The LS2 uses shorty style injectors, like ours, and they flow at 340cc/min @ 4 bar/58psi. Im just not sure how to compensate for the fuel rail pressure.

#56 ·
i have no ideal what they did to the trany the original trany got burnt when i took it ti the strip on day well that what the mechanic said the mechanic is a really close friend of my dad and bought and modded the new trany for race not sure what he did but it working better then the old one

and Teedoe will put pic up later on today

#55 ·
DavidBoren said:
The LS2 uses shorty style injectors, like ours, and they flow at 340cc/min @ 4 bar/58psi. Im just not sure how to compensate for the fuel rail pressure.
Fuel pressure regulator. I have one of those sitting in my garage too. Come to think a out it, I should just buy another talon, I have all the parts to make it rip ass lol. But hey, a turbo CTS is far more interesting.

#58 ·
Yes, I meant 93 octane fuel. Premium fuel tune. I guess I just really want to get my car tuned, premium fuel or not. Im trying to track down ChevyHighPerfromance's tune tables as a starting point for Trifecta to tweak for high octane fuel and throw it on a EZ-Flash cable for me.

#62 ·
Bluehaze07 said:
Volant CAI
LED in CAI w/hood pin switch
CTS-V Exhaust w/H-pipe
Dimpled/Slotted Rotors
VEE Springs
VEE Shocks/Struts
VEE Sway Bar
Blacked out Clear Fogs (three Times)
PCV orifice MOD
6000k HIDs
6000k FOGs
LED DRL/turn Signals
Stock NAV
Bose AMP
Infinity speakers and 2 12" Subs
Audio Control unit w/ AUX line out
DVD Headrests (that i don't use)

to do list/wish list -

rx iceolator
rx throttlebody

lowering springs
VEE bumper
New wheels (vossen concave)
hi-flow cats
Headers
switchback MOD (gotta finish the wiring lol)
Custom interior
Custom paint
Vossen cv3?

#64 ·
Oh, dammit, got caught up showing the hideous five-spoke Vossens instead of replying with what I was going to put up here. Get me all sidetracked with a stupid 15-second google search. Type in "Vossen CV3?" in google, and it will give you what you want... I promise.

Anyways, installed the smoked turn signals in my car today. I honestly think it took longer to wash my hands afterwards than to do the actual install.

#65 ·
DavidBoren said:
Oh, dammit, got caught up showing the hideous five-spoke Vossens instead of replying with what I was going to put up here. Get me all sidetracked with a stupid 15-second google search. Type in "Vossen CV3?" in google, and it will give you what you want... I promise.

Anyways, installed the smoked turn signals in my car today. I honestly think it took longer to wash my hands afterwards than to do the actual install.
Lmao. I was going to hold the lights when I painted them. Then I decided that three coats of VHT would take a lot of time to get off. So I made some holders that NASA would be proud of. I haven't seen engineering like that since the insanely over engineered cup holders in my buddies Audi. It took me about three hours to make them. Like seriously, it shouldn't have taken me a day and a half to paint lights that are 1x4" long. FML, all done now tho. That all being said and done, I will be removing them and stripping off the paint to I can tint them with window tint. Much cleaner!!

#66 · (Edited)
Heres my laundry list of tinkering...I try to keep track of stuff...

"Angel Dust" - 2004 Cadillac C-Series Touring Sedan (CTS) 3.6L VVT (LY7 - 217 Cubic Inch - DOHC V6 Naturally Aspirated) White Diamond Tricoat (98U)/Light Neutral / Five Speed 5L40-E Automatic Transmission

ENGINE/EXHAUST:
Volant cold air intake with custom painted cover.
Custom dual Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, 2.5" pipe with 4" polished chrome Borla tips
Stock Resonator Delete
Magnaflow Universal High-Flow Catalytic Converters
B&M Racing SuperCooler - Transmission Oil Cooler
RX Performance/Vmax Black Ice-olator Intake Manifold spacers w/ custom 7" IM bolts by H&W Machinery - Queens, NY
Mobil1 Full Synthetic Oil - 5W30 Winter, 10W30 Summer
Royal Purple Purple Ice Engine Coolant additive
Royal Purple Max EZ Power Steering Fluid
Lucas Performance Oil Stabilizer w/ every oil change
Custom painted engine and fuse covers.
OBD-II ELM327 v1.5 bluetooth adapter with Torque - engine performance, management & diagnostic app/tool

SUSPENSION:
Hotchkis Sport Suspension performance lowering springs
2007-2010 Ford Edge OEM #3674A 18x7.5" +44 black rims with Pirelli P Zero Nero 245/40/R18 Tires
Drilled & Slotted brake rotors with performance ceramic brake pads.
Spare wheelset are 2006 Cadillac CTS OEM PF4 16x7" +51 custom painted black rims with CTS-V1 black center caps

EXTERIOR:
HID Head lamps (6000K-Ice Blue)
HID Fog lamps (6000K-Ice Blue)
Custom painted eyelids/brows
CTS-V1 front bumper cover/fascia
Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Delete
LED exterior lights (Park lamps, front turn signals, license plate, taillights, reverse lights & side turn signals.)
Smoked taillights, 3rd brake light, front & side turn signals
Window tint - 35% Front, 20% Rear
Exterior emblems removed (Debadged)
Front license plate relocated to driver side
Custom "Home Depot" Front Bumper Chin/Lip (EZ-Lip)
Custom honeycomb mesh upper grille
Custom black plastidipped oem CTS-V1 lower grille
Color matched license plate washers & bolts
Custom two-tone OEM mirrors
Custom black carbon fiber vinyl wrapped door pillar posts
Custom black carbon fiber vinyl wrapped license plate finish panel/bezel
Rolled rear fenders

INTERIOR:
LED map and footwell lights
Medium off-white interlocking/ball knot Fusa
Rubbermaid black deluxe cup holder-organizer
Black headrest covers (front & rear)
Black neck pillows (front)
Black floor mats (front & rear)

COMING SOON:
CTS-V1 sway bars (front & rear)
Creative Steel Inc. Flex Discs & Differential Bushing
H&R Wheel Spacers
D2 Coilover Suspension

#67 ·
Blayne, I just bought some eBay smoked signals, and they even came with LED bulbs and LED license plate light bulbs.

RCVW, that is the exact sort of spec sheet I was looking for when I started this thread. Should show that off a bit and post a pic for us to gawk at.

#69 ·
DavidBoren said:
Blayne, I just bought some eBay smoked signals, and they even came with LED bulbs and LED license plate light bulbs.

RCVW, that is the exact sort of spec sheet I was looking for when I started this thread. Should show that off a bit and post a pic for us to gawk at.
Funny you mention that. I just searched for them this morning on e at lol. RCVW, very nice car. That yellow is pretty loud lol, but I like it and I like the idea of the CAI and fuse box painted to match.

#70 ·
I like the yellow under the hood matching the calipers on the outside. Really brings everything together as a complete package. Good job. Also, big fan of lids following the hood line. All in all, damn nice car, RCVW.

#72 ·
Reactions: DavidBoren
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.