Shudder during idle?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Shudder during idle? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Good morning all, I've a 2006 CTS with 37k on it. While sitting in park, or while at red lights, ...
    DevilDoc68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS

Shudder during idle?

Good morning all,
    I've a 2006 CTS with 37k on it. While sitting in park, or while at red lights, I am noticing a shudder every 15-20 seconds. Some strong enough that makes me look at dash readouts to ensure the car did not die. I have noticed that it does not seem to have as much power as I expected, especially from the line. However, being that I've only had the car for 3 months and my previous vehicle was a V8 Tundra, I just assumed that it was because of the smaller engine. I still think it should have more power, though. :-/

On top of that...I have to have about $1000 in work done today due to a locked up caliper on the passenger side causing a shimmy. Ah, FML!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Doc

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Re: Shudder during idle?

Check your oil level. If it's low, fill it up. Never let it run low on oil. Always keep it topped off.

djkdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6L

also check the vacuum hoses coming from the breather to the engine, i found that one of mine magically came off one day and was causing weird idling when i came to stops

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Run some FI cleaner through it. Or Seafoam it.

----------

Run some FI cleaner through it. Or Seafoam it. Plus all of the above.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDoc68 View Post
    Good morning all,
    I've a 2006 CTS with 37k on it. While sitting in park, or while at red lights, I am noticing a shudder every 15-20 seconds. Some strong enough that makes me look at dash readouts to ensure the car did not die. I have noticed that it does not seem to have as much power as I expected, especially from the line. However, being that I've only had the car for 3 months and my previous vehicle was a V8 Tundra, I just assumed that it was because of the smaller engine. I still think it should have more power, though. :-/

On top of that...I have to have about $1000 in work done today due to a locked up caliper on the passenger side causing a shimmy. Ah, FML!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Doc
    Hi Doc,

I see you have been given some great advice from other forum members. I am sorry you have to repair your vehicle and I understand how other issues arising on top of another vehicle issue can be frustrating. If there are ever questions or concerns you would like to further discuss, please private message me.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

DevilDoc68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS

Wow! An actual Cadillac rep on here helping us? Nice! Thanks, Laura. I'll PM you.

Reaper416 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS
    I was wondering the same about my 05. Its like it almost stalls when idling but only every 15-30 seconds. No lights on dash or anything. I've only had her for a month now and other then some weird hard shifts every once in a while alls good.

djkdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6L
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper416 View Post
    I was wondering the same about my 05. Its like it almost stalls when idling but only every 15-30 seconds. No lights on dash or anything. I've only had her for a month now and other then some weird hard shifts every once in a while alls good.
    Check all the vacuum lines, casper the ghost likes to unplug one from time to time, my car had a slight rough idle when I was at a stop or in bumper to bumper traffic and would hard shift down sometimes also, so I popped the hood and seen a vacuum hose not connected to anything so I found out were it went and the car as idled perfect and shifted down perfect every since

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDoc68 View Post
    Wow! An actual Cadillac rep on here helping us? Nice! Thanks, Laura. I'll PM you.
    Hi DevilDoc68,

Thanks for the shout out. I am here to help in any way possible! I am not able to offer any technical advice, because I am not a certified technician, however, I do my best to utilize my resources and make contact with the appropriate person to further assist a customer.

Regards,

Laura M.

ss4cts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS /04 /3.6

Forget vacuum it WILL NEVER act so sudden, It is electrical problem, misfiring 100%
    I had same issue, end up being bad coil, actually two of them. It is going to be hard to find which one is bad since ECM will not flag misfiring on low
    rpms.
    I had to wait until started acting more often, usually under heavy load, wet weather condition and low rpms like 1500-2000.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Quote Originally Posted by ss4cts
    Forget vacuum it WILL NEVER act so sudden, It is electrical problem, misfiring 100%
    I had same issue, end up being bad coil, actually two of them. It is going to be hard to find which one is bad since ECM will not flag misfiring on low
    rpms.
    I had to wait until started acting more often, usually under heavy load, wet weather condition and low rpms like 1500-2000.
    Actually it will trigger a misfire on low rpm, just no check engine light. BUT you have to use a scan tool that can read live codes. My brother has such a scan tool at his shop. Brought my CTS by there and we counted the misfires as they were happening, on cylinder 2 in my case.

KOT

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

An actual customer service rep from Cadillac on this site? and they actually respond? That is just amazing.

----------

I too am starting to get that shudder at idle, when it is hot out with the A/C on.
    I have a couple of toys to play with for scanning (torque app and the bluetooth obdii connector) so I can try to check on that.

It is a momentary shudder that sort of feels like a miss fire, heck it probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    An actual customer service rep from Cadillac on this site? and they actually respond? That is just amazing.

----------

I too am starting to get that shudder at idle, when it is hot out with the A/C on.
    I have a couple of toys to play with for scanning (torque app and the bluetooth obdii connector) so I can try to check on that.

It is a momentary shudder that sort of feels like a miss fire, heck it probably is.
    Hello Kael,

Yes, I am here to help you and anyone else out on this site the best I can! I can be reached via private message to further discuss any concerns or questions.

Regards,

Laura M.

ss4cts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS /04 /3.6

Forget those representatives, you will just wast your time. It is coil or spark plug 100%, I had exact same issue AC on in drive, shudder, low RPM driving under load shudder ETC. Have good scanner with real time scan and catch it while is misfiring.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Saying to forget the actual Cadillac customer service personnel is kind of rude. Even if you know the exact problem, discrediting professionals that take the time to be here isnt necessary.

It does sound like you have a misfire somewhere.

I do not get a shudder, so I guess this really doesnt belong here at all, probably. But I have noticed that my idle at start-up is sometimes different. Most of the time, I would say idle is 650rpms. Sometimes, it starts up all excited. Idles at 1,100. Nothing else is different from the last time. I didnt leave the A/C on, or anything like that. Car just starts up excited sometimes for apparently no reason.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.