Need some information...engine shot!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By J W
  • 2 Post By Argent1
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Need some information...engine shot! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; My 2003 CTS timing chain went out driving down the interstate at 80mph. White smoke boiling out the back and ...
    BC1973 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Need some information...engine shot!

My 2003 CTS timing chain went out driving down the interstate at 80mph. White smoke boiling out the back and all . Well it ruined the engine. Mechanic says another engine and timing chain needed. Still owe $8k so I'm getting it fixed. So here are my questions (I'm no mechanic by the way). Do I have to get another 3.2 V6 it came with or can I get the 3.6 V6 the 2004 used without extra install costs ? I know the Spec-V engine isn't a practical switch because of the electronic/wiring/tranny difference. Should I get a re-manufactured engine or just rebuilt. Does the timing chain come with a rebuilt/reman engine? Anyone else had to get another engine installed and who did you use, costs, reman or rebuilt? Just need some direction and idea of what I need to keep in mind. CTS had 197k miles when it happened so its been a good car until now. Thanks for the input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Need some information...engine shot!

Since you have a 2003. Only the 3.2 will fit. The 2.8/3.6 are a totally different engine design. Someone already tried it and ran into part problems. Not that he couldn't afford it, but the parts to make the switch were on several months back order nation wide. That was a couple of years ago, I wouldn't want to know what it's like now.

And just to let you know, the 3.2 has a timing belt. Not chain.

KOT

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

If he got a rebuilt or re-man engine, would'nt it already have a timming belt in it.?

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Before he does anything, he should educate himself more about what he has or what he needs. Otherwise he could be severely ripped off & scammed.

BC1973 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

So that answered the engine choice (3.2) question. Now just need opinions on re-man or rebuilt options. And to Argent... The whole reason I posted this was to educate myself. So I take it the engine will come with a timing belt? As I stated in my OP, I am no mechanic or hard core car buff. Just a guy who loves his CTS and wants it fixed the smartest way.

Calgary03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Cts Sport Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1973
    So that answered the engine choice (3.2) question. Now just need opinions on re-man or rebuilt options. And to Argent... The whole reason I posted this was to educate myself. So I take it the engine will come with a timing belt? As I stated in my OP, I am no mechanic or hard core car buff. Just a guy who loves his CTS and wants it fixed the smartest way.
    It will be hard to find a rebuilt 3.2 engine I would think. I've never looked for one though... If it were me, I'd search for a low mileage used one. Only major problem I've heard of on a 3.2 is what you have already experienced. I haven't heard of piston rings or connecting rods dying ever so the bottom end is pretty sound on these engines in my view. As for a timing belt on the "new" engine. Rebuilt or Re-man will have new timing belts, used will not(obviously). After that, change the belt every 100,000 miles/160,000 km. In the 5 years of driving a 3.2, I've only had 2 repairs. Valve cover gaskets and oil cooler. Past that, preventative maintenance is all I've done.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the 3.2L in the 2003 has a timing belt, not a chain ... it is supposed to be changed at 90k intervals (or maybe 100k... check the owners manual)

if you jump time or lose timing you will bend valve and the engine will definitely need major work

usually it can be fixed without a new engine ... send the heads off to a machine shop to get fixed for around $300-$400 usually in these types of situations
    plus gaskets and bolts and a new timing belt (maybe a tensioner too)

you're looking at almost $2k probably ... a lot less than getting a new/rebuilt engine ... a used engine might get you out cheaper (if you can find one) but that's always a gamble since you don't know the history
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    Timing belt is part of the 100k maintenance. I would have the heads sent out to a reputable machine shop and have new valves and guides installed as well as any other work required to fix the damaged caused.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

I can not get a clear answer
    http://answers.edmunds.com/question-...les-82739.aspx
    "The 3.2 L V6 This is an interference engine"
    If that is correct I would replace the engine.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

interference engine just means that if the timing is not correct the valves will hit the pistons (and bend the valves)

no need to replace the engine just because of some bent valves
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Calgary03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Cts Sport Luxury
    At this point, just have the heads taken off and look at the pistons and cylinder walls. If the bottom is fine then head rebuilding is fairly cheap. It's just from your OP, white smoke blowing out the exhaust says to me that the block or head cracked with the valve to piston impact and is flooding the cylinder with coolant... If dex-cool burns white? Not sure... I hope it's an easy fix for you, relatively speaking. I'm pulling an engine out of a 3.2 CTS as I type this. It's not bad since the trans is already out. Wouldn't want to do it if it wasn't.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

That is what I read also.
    "driving down the interstate at 80mph. White smoke boiling out the back"
    Reads to me as catastrophic failure

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.