2003 cts. Need sub to replace stock one. "I want mu trunk back"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2003 cts. Need sub to replace stock one. "I want mu trunk back" in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi every one. Ive been really looking for an after market sub to replace the stock one as it is ...
    dead civic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 SILVER CTS V

2003 cts. Need sub to replace stock one. "I want mu trunk back"

Hi every one.

Ive been really looking for an after market sub to replace the stock one as it is gone Ive bought 2 10" subs. Kicker and alpine both were returned. They fit the mount diameter, but don't clear clear the actual trunk hole witch is 8" . Can some one help me out on finding one.

The very last shop i went to told me that i need is a 9".

Any input on what aftermarket sub works?

I have an aftermarket setup and all i need a free air sub to mount on the do k so i can get rid of the biggo box taking up my trunk space.

Any input is appreciated

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Re: 2003 cts. Need sub to replace stock one. "I want mu trunk back"

you can put a free air 10" sub in there...just search the threads, it has been done...i did it YEARS ago

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k

You may have to do some modifications to get an aftermarket 10" to fit but it is definitely doable.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

well. what it looks like I'd have to do is trim away at some of the metal hole on the dock. but I'd hate to start that and have it looking like crap. or not being able to do it and leave it all cut up or something. any one got any tips or tricks?

I was also thinking of using an 8" and just making a wood adapter for it... what do you fellas think that would turn out like?

djkdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by dead civic View Post
    well. what it looks like I'd have to do is trim away at some of the metal hole on the dock. but I'd hate to start that and have it looking like crap. or not being able to do it and leave it all cut up or something. any one got any tips or tricks?

I was also thinking of using an 8" and just making a wood adapter for it... what do you fellas think that would turn out like?
    i tried a few things, first i replaced my factory sub with a new factory sub because the old one was blown, then i blew the new one, so i was like hmmmm the factory sub sounds nice but is too sensitive. So i got a 12inch memphis audio sub, bypassed the factory sub, used the factory sub wires to convert it to rca, hooked up a 200watt memphis amp and sub and havent though about that factory sub since, its still in my dash i didnt have to take anything apart to do it, other than slicing into the factory sub wires.

question. Is it mounted on the dock where the soc was or it it in a box?

SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by djkdawg View Post
    i tried a few things, first i replaced my factory sub with a new factory sub because the old one was blown, then i blew the new one, so i was like hmmmm the factory sub sounds nice but is too sensitive. So i got a 12inch memphis audio sub, bypassed the factory sub, used the factory sub wires to convert it to rca, hooked up a 200watt memphis amp and sub and havent though about that factory sub since, its still in my dash i didnt have to take anything apart to do it, other than slicing into the factory sub wires.
    You have to remove the back dash, so technically you did have to take something apart. I would suggest removing the old sub so the bass can travel through to the cab easier.

I have a cerwin vega 10" hed in the back dash. I didnt do any mods to get it to fit. Im building a box for it now. Mounting the sub in the back dash sucks. You need a real enclosure to get any kind of production out of an after market sub. while you arte in there, might as well remove the plastic panel on the top of the dash and put sound deadner every where. That dash will rattle like hell. I sound deadened everything in the trunk, trunk lid, trunk floor, fenders bottom and top of the dash.

djkdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6L
    I did it all from the trunk from the subs wiring harness, I didnt even want to try to tear apart the back dash or remove the factory sub, just wemt to the trunk slice into the harness and connected it to an rca cable I cut and it works perfectly and I can pretty much cut the sub down by turning turn the bass on the head unit when I dont want it or only want a little bass, and the only rattle I get is the center arm rest in the back seat when its down

AggieV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by djkdawg View Post
    I did it all from the trunk from the subs wiring harness, I didnt even want to try to tear apart the back dash or remove the factory sub, just wemt to the trunk slice into the harness and connected it to an rca cable I cut and it works perfectly and I can pretty much cut the sub down by turning turn the bass on the head unit when I dont want it or only want a little bass, and the only rattle I get is the center arm rest in the back seat when its down
    What did you do for power, and remote turn on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Planktron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 5M Luxury/Sport: V rear bumper and V exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieV View Post
    What did you do for power, and remote turn on?

+1. How much wattage is the bose amp pushing to the sub? A free air sub back there sounds like a great idea, but I'd hate to push a ~200w rms sub if the stock amp is only pushing ~50w or so...

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k

I would never use the factory amp to push an aftermarket sub, not even close to enough power. If you do choose to go this route you wouldn't need any power or remote as you're then using the factory amp which already has that taken care of. I don't even think the entre thing totals more than 400w.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    I have 2 12" subs in mine and in order to get the box in I had to take off the plastic piece that covers the trunk latch. This also applied to the removal procedure since I recently changed out my boxes from ported to sealed. The sealed box is smaller so I dont need to do this anymore.

Planktron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 5M Luxury/Sport: V rear bumper and V exhaust
    Yeah, wattage and resistance are two unanswered questions here. Gotta know these if you wanna go hooking up aftermarket parts! I'd like to know because this is a potentially cheap and easy upgrade.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.