LED 3rd Brake Light Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, LED 3rd Brake Light Question in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So I am in the process of doing the led 3rd brake light mod. I have already installed the led ...
    CtsLAC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L

LED 3rd Brake Light Question

So I am in the process of doing the led 3rd brake light mod. I have already installed the led strip into the housing but when I went to plug it in and test it before I fully put it back together it didn't turn on. I was wondering if there is a fuse that only powers the 3rd brake light? All my other lights work perfetct so I don't see why the led light wouldn't turn on. Tomorrow I will wire a different led strip into the brake lights wire to see wether its the light itself or something interfering in the wiring. Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions!

I wired the 2 wires comming from the led strip into the 2 wire coming into the 3rd brake light housing.
    Any ideas as to why the lights wouldn't turn on are helpful! Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Pete(UK) is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2007 Sport Luxury

Re: LED 3rd Brake Light Question

LED's have to be wired to the right polarity.
    Have you tried swapping the wires round?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete(UK) View Post
    LED's have to be wired to the right polarity.
    Have you tried swapping the wires round?
    Yea that's the first thing I did and still no luck

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

Should've tested your input before tearing apart the housing...you can get a basic tester for under $5. I also swapped to an LED strip, didn't have any troubles though. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by CtsLAC View Post
    Yea that's the first thing I did and still no luck
    Kingoftypos and Kingoftypos like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen View Post
    Should've tested your input before tearing apart the housing...you can get a basic tester for under $5. I also swapped to an LED strip, didn't have any troubles though. Good luck
    Well I was going to switch it out either way. Worst case scenerio is I just run a wire into the regular taillights and tap my power from there but I wanted to try it the right way first! Haha

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Are you sure that the led lights work in general and are the correct voltage? It's extremely odd that the line to the 3rd brake light would not have power

And I hate to say it, but is someone hitting the brake pedal when your testing them?

Quote Originally Posted by arw1510 View Post
    Are you sure that the led lights work in general and are the correct voltage? It's extremely odd that the line to the 3rd brake light would not have power

And I hate to say it, but is someone hitting the brake pedal when your testing them?
    I hate to admit it but no. Was late at night when I tested and was bymyself. I thought it would turn on with my other lights cause they all turned on. I actually tried it right before I got back on here to check the comments and it worked =P. Just got the housing put back togethet and waiting for it to dry. Gonna assemble it back into the car here within the hour

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

Quote Originally Posted by CtsLAC View Post
    I hate to admit it but no. Was late at night when I tested and was bymyself. I thought it would turn on with my other lights cause they all turned on. I actually tried it right before I got back on here to check the comments and it worked =P. Just got the housing put back togethet and waiting for it to dry. Gonna assemble it back into the car here within the hour
    Haha. Atleast you figured it out

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Honestly, I wouldn't figured that you thought that. I was going to ask if you had the car on when pressing the brakes? Because our brake lights won't turn on when the car is off. But glad you see that they are working now.

KOT

oxnard805 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Give it a shot

I found an extra 3rd brake like on eBay for 50$

Didn't go threw the struggle :/

Quote Originally Posted by oxnard805 View Post
    Give it a shot

I found an extra 3rd brake like on eBay for 50$

Didn't go threw the struggle :/
    Well I already went through it and it only ran me a $7 led strip. I'm going to black out the entire 3rd brake light except for where the light shines through

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't figured that you thought that. I was going to ask if you had the car on when pressing the brakes? Because our brake lights won't turn on when the car is off. But glad you see that they are working now.

KOT
    Yea I had to set the the brake light on top of the trunk at an angle to where I could see it while pressing on the brakes.

Ryukhan44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac XTS Luxry
    Had my 3rd light worked on. He replaced the OEM with LED. Now, the yellow T/C light is on. After starting within 2-15 sec, cannot shift, and cruise control is out. Any thoughts? Thanks.

djkdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6L
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryukhan44 View Post
    Had my 3rd light worked on. He replaced the OEM with LED. Now, the yellow T/C light is on. After starting within 2-15 sec, cannot shift, and cruise control is out. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere, somethings shorting out your ecm better check his wiring

TunixComplex is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 5M

While we are on the topic I have a question about doing this mod.

The tutorial says: "connected PCV LED strip to the 2 wires coming into the housing. it is only a positive and a negative"

Does this mean you wire the LEDs to the wires that used to go into the neon ballast?

Quote Originally Posted by TunixComplex View Post
    While we are on the topic I have a question about doing this mod.

The tutorial says: "connected PCV LED strip to the 2 wires coming into the housing. it is only a positive and a negative"

Does this mean you wire the LEDs to the wires that used to go into the neon ballast?
    It means you connect them to the white and black wire that go from outside of the housing to the inside. Its the wires that lead from where you plug it into the rear bezel again. I hear if your ballast works and you connect them to that you are going to fry your LEDs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.