Cadillac Owners Forum banner

LED 3rd Brake Light Question

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  arw1510 
#1 ·
So I am in the process of doing the led 3rd brake light mod. I have already installed the led strip into the housing but when I went to plug it in and test it before I fully put it back together it didn't turn on. I was wondering if there is a fuse that only powers the 3rd brake light? All my other lights work perfetct so I don't see why the led light wouldn't turn on. Tomorrow I will wire a different led strip into the brake lights wire to see wether its the light itself or something interfering in the wiring. Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions!

I wired the 2 wires comming from the led strip into the 2 wire coming into the 3rd brake light housing.
Any ideas as to why the lights wouldn't turn on are helpful! Thanks in advance

#7 ·
I hate to admit it but no. Was late at night when I tested and was bymyself. I thought it would turn on with my other lights cause they all turned on. I actually tried it right before I got back on here to check the comments and it worked =P. Just got the housing put back togethet and waiting for it to dry. Gonna assemble it back into the car here within the hour

#11 ·
Well I already went through it and it only ran me a $7 led strip. I'm going to black out the entire 3rd brake light except for where the light shines through

----------

Honestly, I wouldn't figured that you thought that. I was going to ask if you had the car on when pressing the brakes? Because our brake lights won't turn on when the car is off. But glad you see that they are working now.

KOT
Yea I had to set the the brake light on top of the trunk at an angle to where I could see it while pressing on the brakes.

#15 ·
It means you connect them to the white and black wire that go from outside of the housing to the inside. Its the wires that lead from where you plug it into the rear bezel again. I hear if your ballast works and you connect them to that you are going to fry your LEDs.

#17 ·
Yes, there are two tubes in the housing. One lights up the left side and the other lights the right side. The ballast is located on that rectangular area you see at the bottom of the housing. I just completely cleared the housing seeing as how I was never going to use that stuff again.

#18 ·
CtsLAC said:
I hate to admit it but no. Was late at night when I tested and was bymyself. I thought it would turn on with my other lights cause they all turned on. I actually tried it right before I got back on here to check the comments and it worked =P. Just got the housing put back togethet and waiting for it to dry. Gonna assemble it back into the car here within the hour
Haha. Life is better when you laugh at yourself. When I had to replace mine, I took the snow brush, pushing the brake pedal down with it, and them moved the seat forward enough to where it held the pedal down while I walked around back

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.