A/C smelt like coolant and is temperamental now
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By djkdawg
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, A/C smelt like coolant and is temperamental now in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So a month ago i had my A/C on and it smelt like coolant for a day or 2. The ...
    brenonm1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Cadillac CTS Luxury Sport

A/C smelt like coolant and is temperamental now

So a month ago i had my A/C on and it smelt like coolant for a day or 2. The windshield DID NOT fog up and the A/C worked fine. The A/C has still always been on since then and was working fine up until last week.
    Last week I noticed when I pull up to a stop light and sit for a minute or 2 my A/C starts to slowly warm up. After 2 minutes it feels as if the car is just blowing the "cold air" with the A/C off. As soon as I let off the brake and start driving the A/C goes back to being cold as normal. I have also noticed that my compressor (or something A/C related) is getting louder and has a slight knocking sound when the A/C is on. The instant that I shut the A/C off it goes away.
    Today I thought maybe it just needs charged so I pulled the low end cap and checked pressure and I was at 70 psi. I was not able to check high end pressure due to not having the proper gauge on me. I was informed my low end needs to be 40 and high end at or around 150. So I dropped the pressure on the low end down to 40 and that made the A/C go to being just warm-hot air blowing out. I recharged the system back to the 70 psi on the low end and have the same problem. At idle its cool-warm and while moving it is cold (not as cold as I remembered when i got the car but its cold). I noticed that for 10 minutes after the vehicle had been running for a while before that the fans never kicked on. They might have at some point and i didn't notice but I did watch the fans closely for a couple minutes and nothing. The fan fuses all were good. I have not checked the relay yet. My main concern is the noise and lack of consistency.

Also why Do I not have a temperature gauge anywhere on my dash that I can find? I have Speedo, RPM, Gas, and a great clock that is 10 min slower than my stock stereo head unit digital display.

Please HELP!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

djkdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6L
    What year is your cadi?

Its a 2003 luxury sport CTS.

the heater core is leaking: the heater core control valve is leakng; or the drain for the drip pan beneath the A/C evaporator is clogged and the drip pan is filled with stale condensate.

Have you checked your coolant is it getting lower and lower? Does your carpet on the passenger floor get soaked when its happening? I have an 05 cts and I have the temperature gauge on the far left side of my cluster so I can tell if my car is running hot or not.

CTS Cluster Blog.jpeg

My passenger side mat does not get wet at all. It doesn't smell like coolant at all anymore. It did for 2 days and went away. I don't think the car is getting hot. I have a clock where your temperature gauge is. How would I check for the leaks or clog that you were talking about? What do you think about draining the ac system and re charging it?

----------

The coolant doesn't seem to be getting lower at all. It seems to be holding a consistent level.

----------

Would any of those cause the sound coming from the condenser and/or cause the AC to warm up when the car is at idle?

Re: A/C smelt like coolant and is temperamental now

all of that is pretty hard to check, requires removing the glove box or dash to get to the back of the firewall on the passenger side, i always pay to have mine checked but thats only if i have water on the passenger floor. But doesnt seem like your car is running hot or you would see the levels getting low and water on the passenger floor so thats a good thing, and why the heck would they put a clock there when you have one on the dic lol thats weird of cadillac , also our cars have a cabin filter , and i know i had a sock smell or an unpleasant odor coming from my a/c when i first got the car and i changed the cabin filter and the smell went away, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO_G_87kKD4 check that video out it will show you where its located , also when i first got my car, when i first started the car with the a/c already on, i heard louder than normal ticking sound, when i cut the a/c off, it kind of went away, i though it was the a/c but when i took it to the dealer and they checked, i was 3 quarts low on oil, stupid me i was depending on my oil life on my dic, so i got an oil change and havent had the problem again, so i would check the oil to see if its dirty or low and have it changed to see if that sound stops. Also i have to drive my car very tough for about 5 to 10 minutes to get the fans to kick on.

Quote Originally Posted by brenonm1 View Post
    My passenger side mat does not get wet at all. It doesn't smell like coolant at all anymore. It did for 2 days and went away. I don't think the car is getting hot. I have a clock where your temperature gauge is. How would I check for the leaks or clog that you were talking about? What do you think about draining the ac system and re charging it?

----------

The coolant doesn't seem to be getting lower at all. It seems to be holding a consistent level.

----------

Would any of those cause the sound coming from the condenser and/or cause the AC to warm up when the car is at idle?

joartstewey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS LS Auto.

I've actually had a very similar issue I've been dealing with for the past few weeks. Cold on go and hot on stop. Very strange. I also had my A/C cooland refilled.. No response pretty much just the same. I also have a '03 LS and have not seen any condensation on my passenger floor board. I usually dont take my car to the cadillac becuase the closest dealership I have found to have some shady practices. But summer time is warming up here real fast in NorCal and the on and off heat is no good when sitting in traffic. Please keep us posted with any findings on this issue.

I changed my oil yesterday, checked coolant level again, fans are working and having the same issue. When at speed ac is pretty cold, when at a stop ac warms up. All fluid levels are good and I still here the ticking sound that is speeding up with the rpms. I'm starting to think the clutch on my ac condenser is going out. It seems as if the clutch is always engaged when ac is on. Either that or my ac needs charged or both. Any ideas??

I changed my oil yesterday, checked coolant level again, fans are working and having the same issue. When at speed ac is pretty cold, when at a stop ac warms up. All fluid levels are good and I still here the ticking sound that is speeding up with the rpms. I'm starting to think the clutch on my ac condenser is going out. It seems as if the clutch is always engaged when ac is on. Either that or my ac needs charged or both. Any ideas??
    Take it to a locate shop and get your a/c serviced, cost about 60 bucks in dallas, and while they are servicing it if they find something like the clutch being a problem they will tell you and mot places here will repair it for an extra fee, but also the compressor could be out of oil if the clutch is getting stuck

I'll try adding militek and oil to the system now and let you know my outcome.

OK so I took it to a shop and they said it was the ac compressor and clutch along with drier accumulator w orifice tube.

ForumRunner_20130606_195656.png

OK so I took it to a shop and they said it was the ac compressor and clutch along with drier accumulator w orifice tube.

Attachment 114289

HOLEY SMOKES! i would find those parts elsewhere and only pay them for the labor.
    joartstewey and joartstewey like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.