Catalytic converter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Catalytic converter in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; My 04 cts with the 3.6 through a code 420 yesterday which I read as being catayst system effiency below ...
    Jaxle67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts

Catalytic converter

My 04 cts with the 3.6 through a code 420 yesterday which I read as being catayst system effiency below threshold bank one. Im assuming that means its converter time. My quedtion short of going to dealer is there any bolt in options say from rock auto or are they going to a universal type fit. I g
    Havent had access to a lift yet to check theconnections out..Do they have bolt on flanges or w hat kinda of arrangement am I looking to find jesse

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

Re: Catalytic converter

Not necessarily a bad cat check these websites out> http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420 and http://www.p0420.com/

Yeah it drove and felt no different at all performance wise and hasnt come back on since i reset . I was driving it very heavy footed when it popped on. I might give it a few days and see what happens. If it does come back on i may go ahead and change both.im a welder by trade and can get magnaflows for 80 apiece with my company discount so welding on the flanges isn't no biggie then i know what i have. Jesse

Latest update is 420 popped back on. Im gonna order the magna flows and tig the flanges and what not on. The car has 150kmiles and had been babied since it was picked up at the dealership. Certainly could bennefit from a nice shiney new set anyway

Freeflyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade, 2006 CTS, 2008 SRX

Holy cow! 80 bucks?

I can't find a Magnaflow cat for my cts for less than $400. Are they seriously marking it up that much?

I am looking at buying the ones at gmpartsdirect.com, they are just under $300 each.

Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Freeflyer View Post
    Holy cow! 80 bucks?

I can't find a Magnaflow cat for my cts for less than $400. Are they seriously marking it up that much?

I am looking at buying the ones at gmpartsdirect.com, they are just under $300 each.
    You can if you buy the ones without flanges.

Yrah i think the cheapest i could find that bolt right in were in the neighborhood of 300 a piece iuse a auto parts store for the business ie work for so we get a nice discount plus for that price you get a converter and a box but I'm a mechanic welder by trade so I'm good at adding the flanges and the gaskets and a couple other things while I'm there

Freeflyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade, 2006 CTS, 2008 SRX

I wish I could weld them. That would save me a ton of money.

It might be worth talking to a welder but If its a dude at home with a small mig or even worse just a buzz box it might be better for you to buy the bolt ins a welder capable of doing the job that needs to be done properly isn't exactly cheap but sometimes you can find one willing to take on a small side job at a considerable savings. Its not really that big of a job to weld up .but certainly a bad weld job is nothing but trouble down the road

Calgary03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Cts Sport Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeflyer
    I wish I could weld them. That would save me a ton of money.
    What year is your car? The ECM and catalytic converters are warrantied for 8 years/100,000 km up here in Canada. US should be the same.

Edit: just realized you specified 04. 1 year too late

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

have your car checked out first and make sure that you need the cats instead of a just a sensor.
    if you need the cats then you need to replace both at the same time.
    Davico makes them for us.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2007-Ca...296c00&vxp=mtr

I have two of these on my 2004 3.6L for a couple of years now. work great and bolted right in.

I appreciate your reply and advice Kael and that's not a bad price for a bolt in option.I'm familiar with the magniflows and had good service out of them. Like i said i make a living for the last 30 + years working on cars trucks heavy equipment military equipment and i an also a certified welder for3 separate processes. Really the biggest reason i want to do it this way is the fact that i enjoying doing it plus the fact that i can and saving a few bucks is a plus

----------

And yes i intend on doing both good insurance

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

Oh I just said it because the weird angles that the cat has.
    You would probably just build a jig and weld up the new cat into the old pipes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.