plastic dip and then gloss paint on front lip piece!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By CtsLAC
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, plastic dip and then gloss paint on front lip piece! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I want to paint the chrome piece on the front lip of the hood. I don't have the money at ...
    ccostaras is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

plastic dip and then gloss paint on front lip piece!

I want to paint the chrome piece on the front lip of the hood. I don't have the money at this point to do it so i was wondering if you plastic dipped it then sprayed it with a gloss color to match the paint of the car if you can still just peel it off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CtsLAC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L

Re: plastic dip and then gloss paint on front lip piece!

If you buy plasti dip and then spray regular clear over it will make it much harder to peel off. You will struggle too much. But dipyourcar.com sells glossifier which goes over the color dip you painted with to give it that glossy shiny look! It will peef of like regular dip because its the same guys that make it.
    CTS414 and CTS414 like this.

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

^ That right there is your best bet.

Just reread your question. If you were asking if you could just paint it with plastidip and then paint on top of the plasti dip with any color and brand glossy paint over it then no it will not work like that either. The paint on top of the plasti dip will dry differently and would imagine that instead of peeling of the glossy paint would cause the dip to start to kind of chip off thus making it very difficult to remove later.

nedstar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L Manual

I wonder if plasti dippers in general have fear of commitment.

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Quote Originally Posted by nedstar
    Nope. We have the intelligence not to ruin something expensive just to see what it would look like a different color. Maybe frugal too, not wanting to throw money away on a paint job lol ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by nedstar View Post
    Its just an inexpensive alterantive and you can do it yourself. Plasti dip doesn't require expert painting skills to aquire a good look. Some people may not want to risk sanding and painting or may not have time to sand prime paint and clear. Plasti dip is fast and if you don't like the look or even want to change it back then you have no problem and no costs doing so. If you plan on doung it long term then I would recommend making an investment into getting it painted as it is more durable and will last longer

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

that is not necessarily true. the more coats of plasti dip you put on, the easier it will be to peal. I put 6 coats on my chrome hood lip piece and then two coats of black gloss on top of it. pealed off just like plasti dip should but all the gloss paint did crack and flake off as I peeled off the plasti dip. so yea, as long as you put on enough coats of plasti dip, you will be fine.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by nedstar View Post
    its removable rubber paint. my curiosity is too high to let a product such as plasti-dip go unused.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.