blown head gasket.. what should i do!?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, blown head gasket.. what should i do!? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; i have a 2003 cts. the head gasket just blew up on me. a buddy of mine suggested i replace ...
    adyylove16 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac cts

blown head gasket.. what should i do!?

i have a 2003 cts. the head gasket just blew up on me. a buddy of mine suggested i replace the entire engine.
    i don't know what to do. i still owe on the car[~$6,000] and i'm moving to japan in november, so i won't be needing it after that.
    is it better to get the engine, fix it, and sell it? or just replace the head gasket and sell it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

Re: blown head gasket.. what should i do!?

Depends, can you live without the car til November. Can you replace the engine or head gasket yourself. If you cannot do the work yourself but you can live without the car til you leave I would try and sell it as is and see what's the most you could get out of it. just figure up the cost to repair it and add it to the 6k you owe on it. Do you think you could get that amount out if it if sold after fixing the car.

i'm willing to live without the car, and the most i can do is an oil change. kelly blue book shows i can sell it for 6,800 in fair condition. my goal is to lose as little as possible at this point..
    i regret getting this car.

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

Well I believe its going to cost more than $800 to fix the timing chain or replace the engine. Does it have real low milage. Id test the waters and see if you could get 5k as is.

djkdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6L
    Head gaskets dont just blow out the blue, dont blame it on the car, blame it on bad maintenance, you had to have some issues before it blew, like the coolant light telling you the coolants low, not putting the right anti-freeze in and putting water, driving around with no coolant or something like the water pump going out or bad thermostat, there should have been some kind of sign before it blew, also how do you know its blown and is not the water pump or thermostat

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Probably better to buy an engine used if you can (depends where you are located) and then drop it in. That head gasket is a very involved job, and if you've never done that before... you are probably looking at a big headache.

Never had to do it, but it may or may not require purchasing special tools to lock timing in place or other things.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Quote Originally Posted by djkdawg View Post
    Head gaskets dont just blow out the blue, dont blame it on the car, blame it on bad maintenance, you had to have some issues before it blew, like the coolant light telling you the coolants low, not putting the right anti-freeze in and putting water, driving around with no coolant or something like the water pump going out or bad thermostat, there should have been some kind of sign before it blew, also how do you know its blown and is not the water pump or thermostat
    i would get random messages like the oil pressure was low: shut off immediately. but would get it checked and it was nothing. computer glitches mostly. i recently got my radiator replaced around 6 months ago. and i made sure the fluids were good before i started my road trip[which is when it blew]
    well, it spewed oil everywhere, so i'm sure it is. also, i had someone look at it before i left.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by odthetruth View Post
    Probably better to buy an engine used if you can (depends where you are located) and then drop it in. That head gasket is a very involved job, and if you've never done that before... you are probably looking at a big headache.

Never had to do it, but it may or may not require purchasing special tools to lock timing in place or other things.
    well, i'm definitely not doing any maintenance myself. i'm taking it to a shop here in the gulfport/biloxi area..
    thank you.

djkdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6L
    I had that happen to me on but on my 93 deville, had the radiator changed, the next month, I made a 5 hour trip and blew my head gasket , since it was a 93 , motor was only 300 bucks, got her fixed and sold her after that and got the cts, now im praying I don't have to touch the radiator on this cadillac

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.