powersteering noise cts 2005
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, powersteering noise cts 2005 in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Can someone tell me what that whining noise I hear from my 2005 cadillac cts but once the car is ...
    kaitagun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac cts 3.6 2005

powersteering noise cts 2005

Can someone tell me what that whining noise I hear from my 2005 cadillac cts but once the car is warmed up the noise go away. Can someone give me some info, I want to get some advice before I take to a shop. bad 2005 cadillac cts cv joints and tie rods

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: powersteering noise cts 2005

well i guess nobody know my problem

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

I have the same issue and I normally only hear it in the first 5-10 mins of driving (and only when the engine is cold and especially when it's cold outside). Sometimes I hear it when turning, other times I do not. I have had all my wheel and suspension components looked at and all are in tip top shape for a car with 106k miles on the odometer.

I have come to the conclusion that it is my power steering pump seeing as how I can pin point the sound directly in front of my mph gauge and the power steering pump is in that general area towards the front of the engine. I know there is some lube you can buy to run through your power steering pump which supposedly helps it but the pump is relatively cheap to fix and you don't have to remove the timing cover to replace it.

I have noticed that the noise level depends on rate of acceleration too. If I hear the noise and put my foot down on the gas a little bit, it goes away. Let go and you slowly hear it come back. So hopefully it is my power steering pump and not something else.

If you find out whats causing the noise let me know.

we really have the same issues. I tries the gm cold climate fluid but still no improvement.My friend say it maybe the O ring,my car hax 95k miles and this is my first issues ..... got this car 3-4 months and I love it. except the gas mileage in the city 12-15 mpg and 26mpg+highway. sorry for my bad english.come from quebec!

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Here in the uk we have a price list for noises

I guess the best way to phase out some things would be to remove the accessory belt temporarily (dont run the engine for long like this) when the engine is cold and see if the noise continues, might at least tell you if its a timing chain issue or not.
    Can you be sure its the power steering and not another accessory component such as the water pump or air-conditioning

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

i rarely if ever use the ac or heater in my car so I know it's not the ac. I havent had my timing chains replaced but i know for a fact that they are worn. not to the point where the car is undriveable but you can hear them rattle on start up and you can hear a small rattle clicking when driving. i plan to do it before I hit 110k. i'm currently at 106k.

drknt03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS,3.2L

When it's cold outside, you here that noise and it goes away after it warms up it's usually means the serpentine belt is slipping. In another word it's old an needs to be replaced.

caddyshack33 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS 3.2 5-spd Manual
    I had two whines with my power steering. First was only upon hard turning of the wheel, usually in k-turns and reverse maneuvers. This was due to a small leak in the rack, which was fixed by a couple treatments of lucas power steering fluid stop leak. Of course, this is not a permanent fix (there are few such cheap fixes for a 9-year old rack, only life extenders), but it's been 9 months, no more leak or whine.

The second whine was only upon cold morning starts after the car was sitting overnight. This would not last for minutes, more like seconds, and was more of a whirring sound. This was fixed by a flush of the power steering system. This solved the problem.

Not sure if this precisely matches your issue, but it's what I got.

wooow I have the same issues , when i do the reverse maneuvers, it doesnt sound like when i turn while my car is cold ! soo do you think flusing my fluid will erase my two problem? how much they charged you for flusing !

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.