SOLVED: Traction control engaging at slow speeds (1-15 MPH)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By odthetruth
  • 2 Post By tigger95
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, SOLVED: Traction control engaging at slow speeds (1-15 MPH) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So, my car started having some issues with its traction control (TCS), it would engage at very low speeds, sometimes ...
    tigger95 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L

SOLVED: Traction control engaging at slow speeds (1-15 MPH)

So, my car started having some issues with its traction control (TCS), it would engage at very low speeds, sometimes it would also print the 'Service Traction Control' and 'Service StabiliTrack' on the DIC/display; ABS light would also come on and lost the variable speed steering feature.

I started noticing that this would only happen when the rear wheels were going through some road imperfections or speed bumps.

So, I came across a different forum where this guy had a similar problem and found out that one of his wheel sensors was not attached to its retainer and developed an intermitent connection.

Took a look at my car and sure enough one hub's wire harness wasn't attached and started rubbing against some sharp metal and messed up the insulation, I would assume that it would ground itself and give a false reading.
    Just put the harness back to its retaining clip and the problem seems to have gone away (knock on wood).

I really love the car and was absolutely horrified by this, immediately thought of ECM/BCM, tranny, differential or even the gas pedal. Let's just hope this would take care of this for sure.

Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    I was thinking the same with my issue. But never got around to looking at the wires.

Did you have to remove the tire(s) or could you jack up the car and crawl under it?

KOT

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: SOLVED: Traction control engaging at slow speeds (1-15 MPH)

Quote Originally Posted by tigger95 View Post
    So, my car started having some issues with its traction control (TCS), it would engage at very low speeds, sometimes it would also print the 'Service Traction Control' and 'Service StabiliTrack' on the DIC/display; ABS light would also come on and lost the variable speed steering feature.

I started noticing that this would only happen when the rear wheels were going through some road imperfections or speed bumps.

So, I came across a different forum where this guy had a similar problem and found out that one of his wheel sensors was not attached to its retainer and developed an intermitent connection.

Took a look at my car and sure enough one hub's wire harness wasn't attached and started rubbing against some sharp metal and messed up the insulation, I would assume that it would ground itself and give a false reading.
    Just put the harness back to its retaining clip and the problem seems to have gone away (knock on wood).

I really love the car and was absolutely horrified by this, immediately thought of ECM/BCM, tranny, differential or even the gas pedal. Let's just hope this would take care of this for sure.

Thanks guys!
    Nice. Hope you re-wrapped anything that was exposed.
    Goes to show you shouldn't call ECM out as first choice.
    concorso and concorso like this.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Taking the wheel off will make things a lot lot lot more easier. Please be extra careful while working under a car.

Each wheel sensor harness and connector is just behind the wheel hub.

Does your TC engage like this as well?
    concorso and concorso like this.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Not my traction control but rather the stability control. Mostly at the end of my drive way and road as well. It's scary at the end of my road because its going down hill into the other road. When it acts up, it thinks that I am in an uncontrollable slide and engages the ABS. Which allows the car to go into the other road. But I've learned to keep the wheel straight as I'm braking.

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Not my traction control but rather the stability control. Mostly at the end of my drive way and road as well. It's scary at the end of my road because its going down hill into the other road. When it acts up, it thinks that I am in an uncontrollable slide and engages the ABS. Which allows the car to go into the other road. But I've learned to keep the wheel straight as I'm braking.

KOT
    Yeah I would suspect a broken wheel sensor too, there's a test procedure where you disconnect and hook up a digital multimeter to both leads of the speed sensor, it should return a value within 1.0 and 1.5 ohms or OL/OC but never 0 ohms while slowly rotating the wheel.
    Please note that the connector itself can develop an intermittent connection and fail as well, you can try wiggling it while testing it also read that sometime the connector just gets dirty or rusty.

Good luck I hope it's an easy fix.

Nice. Hope you re-wrapped anything that was exposed.
    Goes to show you shouldn't call ECM out as first choice.
    Ohh yeah... I will fix that tomorrow, I was very impatient and to see if this was the culprit. I just couldn't wait any longer. hehhe.

Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.