Tuner chip - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Tuner chip in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by Blayne Concorso, I have heard other members claim 300 hp with these mods. Not at the wheels. ...
    CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayne
    Concorso, I have heard other members claim 300 hp with these mods. Not at the wheels. When they claimed this I said not possible. Then there were a few members that claimed it to be true. So no, no proof.
    I thought there were some dyno results over in the stickies. I dunno about 300hp, but didnt they get up to at least 285 or something and speculate that with a few more steps it may be approaching 300?

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack
    Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Any proof of this? Dyno, or a CTS with these mods running the 1/4
    I ran quarter 14.5 at 93.7...I plugged time in online said like 296 iirc. Hopefully TB and tune this summer.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Tuner chip

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    Concorso, I have heard other members claim 300 hp with these mods. Not at the wheels. When they claimed this I said not possible. Then there were a few members that claimed it to be true. So no, no proof.
    I dont understand why RX cant dyno a CTS. They must have had one in teh shop to fit the iceolator. Why didnt they dyno it before and after install? Claiming 20 hp on an engine with different heads (DI V6) is not proof to me. I dont know, maybe their sales are doing well. I wont buy it with a dyno run tho.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen View Post
    I ran quarter 14.5 at 93.7...I plugged time in online said like 296 iirc. Hopefully TB and tune this summer.
    Thats a good time, Tl, but do you have a run with JUST the iceolator.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacAsAlways View Post
    I thought there were some dyno results over in the stickies. I dunno about 300hp, but didnt they get up to at least 285 or something and speculate that with a few more steps it may be approaching 300?
    The highest dynod numbers Ive seen were by SDMarineguy. He had headers and dynoed at 238, and stock was 203. That puts him somewhere around 295 hp. Are we to believe that the iceolator makes as much difference as headers? If yes, then show a dynosheet!

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    I thought they didn't make headers for this car anymore! Are they still available?

Tracy at Rx is setting up his dyno this week!! Hopefully I'll get over there towards the end of June and have some stuff to show off

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

I fitted this and now I am capable of time travel: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Sup...0feefc&vxp=mtr
    See you in the future...

Caddy Dad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville/ 05 CTS/06 CTS

Did it come with the flux capicitor or was that extra?
    TheBrown57 and TheBrown57 like this.

Pwayne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Your ECU performance mapping has a table for base timing change as a function of intake air temperature. The resistor in the $25 gizmo makes your ECU think that the inlet air temperature is lower than it actually is. As a result, your ECU table will increase timing accordingly.

That's the theory anyway. It might try to enrich your mixture as well because it thinks the incoming air is colder than it actually is.

But I wouldn't try it. The ECU is a balanced system based on inputs from many sensors. I would not try to "fool" your intake air temperature system. Just get the coldest, most free flowing air you can (Volant) into your intake, and let the system work normally without trying to fool any sensor inputs.

DSF
    DSF is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

As others have said, those are a sham. All they typically do is screw up your Air / Fuel ratio, timing, etc. You can benefit from this, but really only with one of the more expensive handheld programmers (not to mention that's the 'safe' way to do it).

If you want a 'chip', you need to go with a handheld programmer / tuner.

For example, for my '99 Mustang GT, I have a SCT Xcal2 which set me back $350 or so at the time running a custom (specifically for my car / mods) 93 octane tune, and results in increased HP/TQ (maybe 25-35 at the wheels - this varies based on the car and the mods), increased MPG (1-3), increased throttle response, altered shift points (this really helps with an automatic) and +25% shift pressure, speed limiter removal, and several other features.

These tuners also allow you to pull or reset your OBD codes, hook your car to a laptop for real-time diagnostic information (hundreds upon hundreds of different variables - transmission temperature, things like that), advance or retard spark, change shift pressure, shut off O2 sensors (with no check engine light coming on) for aftermarket cat-less exhaust, adjust your speedo so it shows the correct speed for aftermarket tire diameters, etc.

If you'd get any use out of any of those features / benefits, they are well worth the money. Each tuner can only have 1 car's tune "active" at a time - you can't have multiple cars tuned at the same time with one. They also hold their resale value really well... If you ever sell the car or decide you don't want the programmer anymore, you just plug it up to your OBD port, hit remove tune, and the tuner is ready to be sold for someone else to use to program their car.

Quote Originally Posted by DSF View Post
    For example, for my '99 Mustang GT, I have a SCT Xcal2 which set me back $350 or so at the time running a custom (specifically for my car / mods) 93 octane tune, and results in increased HP/TQ (maybe 25-35 at the wheels - this varies based on the car and the mods), increased MPG (1-3), increased throttle response, altered shift points (this really helps with an automatic) and +25% shift pressure, speed limiter removal, and several other features.

These tuners also allow you to pull or reset your OBD codes, hook your car to a laptop for real-time diagnostic information (hundreds upon hundreds of different variables - transmission temperature, things like that), advance or retard spark, change shift pressure, shut off O2 sensors (with no check engine light coming on) for aftermarket cat-less exhaust, adjust your speedo so it shows the correct speed for aftermarket tire diameters, etc.

If you'd get any use out of any of those features / benefits, they are well worth the money. Each tuner can only have 1 car's tune "active" at a time - you can't have multiple cars tuned at the same time with one. They also hold their resale value really well... If you ever sell the car or decide you don't want the programmer anymore, you just plug it up to your OBD port, hit remove tune, and the tuner is ready to be sold for someone else to use to program their car.
    There's one for the CTS? thought just dyno tune lol

DSF

Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen View Post
    There's one for the CTS? thought just dyno tune lol
    Pretty sure there is... They make programmers for almost any car now it seems like. Most of the brands only focus on a few makes or models (so in other words, SCT probably doesn't make one for the CTS), but you can typically find a tuner for most models. SCT and Diablosport are two of the big companies I know of.

I had a tuner for my '06 Chrysler 300C 5.7 also, but can't seem to recall what brand it was.

They even make them for diesel trucks - and the TQ gains are CRAZY from them. With most of the diesel trucks, you can buy a $300 programmer and get literally 200-300+ TQ from a tune.

----------

Er yep, here's a few CTS tuners:

http://www.autoanything.com/performa...A2A1063A1.aspx

Diablosport does make one, and they're a big name in the handheld programmer / tuner market.

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Quote Originally Posted by DSF

Pretty sure there is... They make programmers for almost any car now it seems like. Most of the brands only focus on a few makes or models (so in other words, SCT probably doesn't make one for the CTS), but you can typically find a tuner for most models. SCT and Diablosport are two of the big companies I know of.

I had a tuner for my '06 Chrysler 300C 5.7 also, but can't seem to recall what brand it was.

They even make them for diesel trucks - and the TQ gains are CRAZY from them. With most of the diesel trucks, you can buy a $300 programmer and get literally 200-300+ TQ from a tune.

----------

Er yep, here's a few CTS tuners:

http://www.autoanything.com/performa...A2A1063A1.aspx

Diablosport does make one, and they're a big name in the handheld programmer / tuner market.
    DSF, Diablo does not make a portable programmer for the CTS. Nor does anyone else that I have ever heard of or found in my searches. If you were to go to the Diablo website, you would see that they make them for the CTS-V but not the CTS. Many companies make one for the CTS-V. We can only dyno tune these cars with a "mild" tune which allows allows us to "trick" the ECM's fuel and air readings and parameters.

You sound amazed that they have them for diesels.....programmers actually originated to be utilized on diesel engines to obtain increased torque for towing purposes. It use to be done mechanically by diesel gurus who would mechanically adjust the fuel pumps to get more fuel pressure and more fuel. Once they went with electronic pumps and computers, it was all tuned much easier.

DSF

Not amazed they have them for diesels per se, more amazed at the gains diesels can claim with them.

As far as not having them for the regular CTS, that bites :-/ I was bringing up a lot of CTS-V tuners but quickly skimming over the results, found that one claiming 'CTS'. That's what I get for not reading.

I'm really more amazed nobody makes a handheld tuner for the CTS.

Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    DSF, Diablo does not make a portable programmer for the CTS. Nor does anyone else that I have ever heard of or found in my searches. If you were to go to the Diablo website, you would see that they make them for the CTS-V but not the CTS. Many companies make one for the CTS-V. We can only dyno tune these cars with a "mild" tune which allows allows us to "trick" the ECM's fuel and air readings and parameters.

You sound amazed that they have them for diesels.....programmers actually originated to be utilized on diesel engines to obtain increased torque for towing purposes. It use to be done mechanically by diesel gurus who would mechanically adjust the fuel pumps to get more fuel pressure and more fuel. Once they went with electronic pumps and computers, it was all tuned much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSF View Post
    Not amazed they have them for diesels per se, more amazed at the gains diesels can claim with them.

As far as not having them for the regular CTS, that bites :-/ I was bringing up a lot of CTS-V tuners but quickly skimming over the results, found that one claiming 'CTS'. That's what I get for not reading.

I'm really more amazed nobody makes a handheld tuner for the CTS.
    Found this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hp...llac/model/cts . click on applications tab, shows both V and non V. Not a hand held though, it's for your laptop/desktop computer. Website: http://www.hptuners.com/ Pretty sweet, just looks like it's for a small business with a dyno. Probably could use it to tink around with settings if you knew what you were doing. They also offer a handheld scanner just for monitoring.

Universal: No
    Make: CADILLAC
    Model: CTS
    Submodel: BASE
    Beginning Year: 2004
    Ending Year: 2007
    Engine Type: V6
    Liter: 3.6
    CID: 217
    Engine Size: 3.6L/217
    Engine Family: GM V6
    Transmission: Automatic
    Adjustable Shift Points: Yes
    Adjustable Shift Firmness: Yes
    Adjustable Rev Limiter (application): Yes
    Adjustable Top Speed Limiter: Yes
    Speedometer Recalibration: Yes
    Adjustable Cooling Fan Temperature: Yes
    Diagnostic Scanning: Yes

Pwayne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

You can go directly to HPTUNERS for their set up. Our ECU (2.8, 3.6) is a Bosch unit for the Alloytec engine, derived from the Austrailian Holden Engineering design. I guess that's why there is not much of an aftermarket for it, not many U.S. cars a Bosch ECU. HPTUNERS does not offer transmission tuning for the 5 or 6 speed automatic, only the 4 speed auto (2004??). Also, the engine tuning is not very intuitive, and they dont give you much help. Even their forum doesnt help much because not many people have tuned the Bosch ECU, which is different from the typical GM or Ford ECU. I recommend sticking with minor hardware mods like Volant intake, and exhaust (this will only make a very small difference). If you can find a good tuner that is willing to spend time learning the Bosch ECU tuning tables so that they can safely and effectively tune your car via HPtuners, that might be a good option. Good luck.
    Iceman_jd and Iceman_jd like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.