Plasti Dipped my Front Grill
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Plasti Dipped my Front Grill in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Just thought I'd share in case anyone was thinking of doing this. I think it came out great (don't mind ...
    canadiantsi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8

Plasti Dipped my Front Grill

Just thought I'd share in case anyone was thinking of doing this. I think it came out great (don't mind the dirty car)

472559_10151355804921526_979988780_o.jpg
    Ikera likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSM is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Re: Plasti Dipped my Front Grill

Never seen it done before on a silver car. looks very interesting. But honestly I think the best plastidip color for your car would be the gunmetal grey, I know dipyourcar.com has it and maybe others too.

The black isn't quite as "Bright" as it appears in the pic, it actually matches the headlights almost perfectly. Once my HID's arrive I think I will VHT the turn signals in the front to complete the look. I'm also thinking of dipping the Rims but Plasti-Dip is 24 bucks a can up here

RyanTO is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Cadillac CTS

I was thinking of doing this also, i like it....where did you buy your cans of Plasti-dip? i live in ontario as well.
    you should do a black overlay on the headlights to match it!

RJCCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    That looks good but the only thing I do not like about black plastidip it looks like carbon fiber color not like a deep black finish but still looks nice

Quote Originally Posted by RyanTO View Post
    I was thinking of doing this also, i like it....where did you buy your cans of Plasti-dip? i live in ontario as well.
    Home Hardware or you can also check Kijiji sometimes people sell it on there for a little cheaper.

CTSjones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Looks really clean.

I am particularly interested in the finish. Is it matte or satin? Looking for something just like this for my black 2003. Would you share the exact color and paint number on the can?

Thanks.

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by RJCCTS
    That looks good but the only thing I do not like about black plastidip it looks like carbon fiber color not like a deep black finish but still looks nice
    Big tip: if you are using the normal, black plasti-dip and it looks a greyish black or just not a true black, use "Back-to-black" plastic polisher. The stuff you'd use for your black plastic side panels or a black plastic bumper? Use it on the plasti-dip and it significantly made it darker and a bit brighter. Works for me at least

Quote Originally Posted by CTSjones View Post
    Looks really clean.

I am particularly interested in the finish. Is it matte or satin? Looking for something just like this for my black 2003. Would you share the exact color and paint number on the can?

Thanks.
    Its sort of in between. All the can says is Black.

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiantsi

The color of the cap should be pretty close to the actual color. I did my wheels, front grille and chrome strip on the hood, and rear backup lamp assembly with black plastidip from a local lowes. It came out a matte black, I put tire shine on the rims when I do my tires for a glossy look when clean. They do have a clear finish plastidip available on their website for a more glossy finish if that's what your looking for.

CTSjones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by canadiantsi View Post
    Great thanks. I'll try and find some locally.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by arogers260 View Post
    The color of the cap should be pretty close to the actual color. I did my wheels, front grille and chrome strip on the hood, and rear backup lamp assembly with black plastidip from a local lowes. It came out a matte black, I put tire shine on the rims when I do my tires for a glossy look when clean. They do have a clear finish plastidip available on their website for a more glossy finish if that's what your looking for.
    Thanks for the tips.

But the matte black look is what I had in mind. Think that might provide a interesting contrast to the shiny Sable black.

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Now that you have your grill coated in a nice base of plastidip you should go back over it with a glossy black. I did that and it turned out even better than expected and yes, it is still removable.

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeEffect
    Now that you have your grill coated in a nice base of plastidip you should go back over it with a glossy black. I did that and it turned out even better than expected and yes, it is still removable.
    How well does the paint hold up as a top layer against weather, and car washes?

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

I just did it Saturday and didn't drive it till today. I will let you know how well it holds up.

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Quote Originally Posted by arogers260

How well does the paint hold up as a top layer against weather, and car washes?
    Awesome. In a high wear area it may peel a bit over time. But otherwise it holds up great. Pressure washer won't take it off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.