timing chain issues...really need some help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, timing chain issues...really need some help in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Having some timing chain issues. I have that 2.8..and the timing chain is very chattery. That's never a good sign. ...
    chcts05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS 2.8L 6spd.

timing chain issues...really need some help

Having some timing chain issues. I have that 2.8..and the timing chain is very chattery.
    That's never a good sign. And to make it worse..I can't manage to find a timing chain replacement kit for it...anywhere. I don't know what I need. Gmpartsdirect.com is saying I have a couple chains in there. Primary and Secondary. And I can't remember how many tensioners. Left bank and Right bank. And a bunch of guides.

I hear that the 3.6 and 2.8 are all but the same..so will a 3.6 timing chain kit work on a 2.8. Will I need gaskets? Can I just replace the left bank? Or just the chain,guides and tensioners?
    I really need some help here!
    I found one kit and they want $500 for it..way to pricey if you ask me and I don't know if it will fit the 2.8 since its off a 3.6. I've read and looked over the DIY thread on here..and I really don't want to pull the heads off.
    Any help would be great!
    Or someone to trade fixing it for paint work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Re: timing chain issues...really need some help

The timing chain kit for a 3.6L will work on your car. From what I have researched the setup is the same and our engines are almost identical. As far as parts go you have 3 chains all together. Bank 1, Bank 2, and then the primary chain. There are 7 guides, the 7th one can only be purchased at a dealership (correct me if I'm wrong).

If I remember correctly it's the big guide for the primary chain. If you are looking at the engine with the timing cover off it'll be the very bottom right guide for the primary chain. I believe there are 3 or 4 tensioners needed. People have found the kit for cheaper (180$-400$) but honestly it's going to be a costly expense either way. If you want, you could always look up all the part numbers for whats included in the kit and buy them all individually but you're still going to spend at least 400$ on parts and that not including the tools you'll need to even get the job done.

To replace the chains you don't always have to pull the heads but you will have to remove your serpentine belt, all the pulley's, the tensioner, alternator, throttle body, intake manifold if i'm correct and your intake. Over all the job isn't very difficult. As long as you are patient and have the space and tools to perform the job, your only expense will be the parts and of course your time. It's either that or find a local shop to do it for 1000$+ or take it to a dealership and have them do it for 1800$+

Balls! $1000-1800 for repairs. I'm screwed. I ha e the tools and garage..but cadillacs are new to me. If it was a honda I would have had it done in no time. But this is a different story.
    So no head removal, that's awesome. I'm guessing I will need to get new gaskets for throttle body and intake.
    Thanks for the info. If anyone has links for chains kits,,I'd greatly appreciate it.
    So your 3.6 is a stroked out version of my 2.8.
    Wish I could keep my 6speed and drop in a 3.6

I have talked to 5 local mechanics down here who would do it for anywhere from 450$ to 800$ as long as I buy the parts. If they order the parts then yes, it will be more expensive. I think the cheapest I was quoted at was 1100$. When you compare that to what the dealership is going to charge you, it's quite a bit less. The Cadillac dealership out by my house quoted me @ 2800$ dollars, I politely told them no.

The GM dealership I normally take my cars to quoted me @ 1800$ minimum. When I get my chains replaced I will probably go the 1800$ route as the local mechanics don't really offer any warranties so if they botch the work or a part happens to be faulty and breaks, for example after 20,000 miles, they would not cover any damages and the manufacturer will just say it was installed incorrectly or blame it on the company that shipped them. In other words you won't be covered and you'll be stuck with the bill.

So, if you go the local mechanic route and buy the parts yourself, make sure the mechanic you choose is familiar with the car/engine and offers some kind of warranty. Normally when I'm looking for a mechanic, I like to look around his shop and first find out if he's a car lover. There are plenty of mechanics out there that hate their job and in turn don't put any love into their work. I also like to see what cars he currently has in the shop. If I see a bunch of high end cars, I typically put them in the yes category (mind you , that doesn't always mean they're good mechanics). I also like to check out the cars in his lot/parking lot. If I see a bunch of cars with expired tags, I typically avoid them because they are obviously trying to make it look like their shop gets a bunch of business. Another good thing to look for is the kind of tools and equipment he has. Any good shop that gets a lot of work will have pretty nice gear/tools.

Just some things to look out for. If you do it yourself there are plenty of reference guides here on the forum and if you start a thread and update the members on your progress with pictures/etc, you will get plenty of help. I would also like to suggest that you take as much time as possible. Don't rush the job as it will give you time to learn things about your engine that you probably didn't know about and you also might be able to spot some things that could use replacing.

I have roughly $40,000 worth of tools sitting at my work. My step father is a mechanic and can fix just about anything..its getting him to find the time to help me fix the car.
    I try to avoid dealership service at all costs (even tho I work for one..in the body shop tho). Right now work has been slow and money is very tight. Being a single father and making ends meet is hard lately.
    So dishing out $1000 for repairs isn't going to happen.
    I've read the posts on the DYI threads several times. But I think the only way I'm gonna really be able to grasp it, is to just dive into the repair and like you said..take my time.

Time..wish I had more of it to spare.

If I'm pulling the intake manifold off I might as well port and polish it while its off.
    I'm probably making the repair more complex in my head than it really is.
    Its probably something basic as opposed to some of the other jobs I've done with my old car.

Its gonna be a pain, but that's typical.
    If I just keep in mind that I need to do one side at a time, make sure everything is laid out in order of replacement it shouldn't be to bad.

Removing the cover, and swapping out old stuff for new stuff..probably the biggest issues is all the wires, connectors, belt, and all that other fun fancy stuff.

To be honest dude I think you'll be fine and you're just making it more complex than it really is. I'm almost positive there's plenty of guys @ your work you could ask take a look at something if you get stuck or want to make sure you aren't about to jack something up. If I was in your situation I would do it myself. The only kit I can find is the one from autozone and it's 450$+. I believe it's made by S.A. Gear and manufactured in Japan. I know you can find one for much cheaper but I just don't know where.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.