Help! LOL....aftermarket catalytic converter
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Help! LOL....aftermarket catalytic converter in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So, I spent an arm and a leg getting a V exhaust and H pipe shipped and installed on my ...
  1. #1
    Bluehaze07's Avatar
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    1,380

    Help! LOL....aftermarket catalytic converter

    So, I spent an arm and a leg getting a V exhaust and H pipe shipped and installed on my vehicle...only to find out that my passenger side catalytic converter has a crack where it meets the three bolt flange. I thought the exhaust shop broke it during the install but, I looked at the cats and I was fairly convinced it wasn't them because there was carbon on the heat shield but none on the driver side.

    Has anyone here bought an aftermarket HI-FLO CAT or universal CAT that worked with the O2 sensor on our vehicle. Do I have to get a O2 sensor eliminator if I go with one of the options I mentioned?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Bluehaze07's Avatar
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    1,380
    Thread Starter
    Nothing??? I guess i shouldn't have used HELP in the tittle

  4. #3
    Iceman_jd's Avatar
    Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    110

    Re: Help! LOL....aftermarket catalytic converter

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    So, I spent an arm and a leg getting a V exhaust and H pipe shipped and installed on my vehicle...only to find out that my passenger side catalytic converter has a crack where it meets the three bolt flange. I thought the exhaust shop broke it during the install but, I looked at the cats and I was fairly convinced it wasn't them because there was carbon on the heat shield but none on the driver side.

    Has anyone here bought an aftermarket HI-FLO CAT or universal CAT that worked with the O2 sensor on our vehicle. Do I have to get a O2 sensor eliminator if I go with one of the options I mentioned?
    My car came with California emissions so I just bought 2 Magnaflow OEM direct-fit catalytic converters for my 3.6L just for sh*t and giggles to see if it flows better that the stock ones. Haven't installed them yet, waiting for gaskets from Rock auto since the dumb-asses at Magnaflow support/customer service said.

    "We don't provide gaskets for those parts. Either we haven't been able to source adequate aftermarket gaskets or they are only available through the dealership. We do try and provide gaskets with all our converters. There are some small instances, like this, where we haven't been able to find any yet." I call bullsh*t. For Pete's-sake!

    Anyhow back to your problem, are you sure they are 3 bolt flanges? Either way when I look it up 2005 3.6 or 2.8 both show two bolt flange. If it's a 3.6L it takes the same as mine. Amazon has the passenger side for $330. (just went up from $303 the other day.) Everyone else sell it for $481 for that particular model. They make a cheaper model for around $402 and a few other companies have it for a lot less than that just not sure of flow or quality.

    Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Prod...ype=automotive They come O2 sensor ready.

    Side note: I bought mine from AutoAnything, great company they have a one year price match on everything they sell. After I bought the Cats from them when I saw the Amazon had them for less and they refunded the difference to my account three days later.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    Nothing??? I guess i shouldn't have used HELP in the tittle
    Sorry it took so long.

  5. #4
    ghettomike's Avatar
    ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    off the grid.
    Age
    30
    Posts
    7,915

    Re: Help! LOL....aftermarket catalytic converter

    paint it white diamond. that will fix it.



    aftermarket cats by no name companies are going to be junk, if you go with a well known company like magnaflow you should be fine.
    Bluehaze07 and Bluehaze07 like this.

  6. #5
    Iceman_jd's Avatar
    Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    110

    Re: Help! LOL....aftermarket catalytic converter

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    paint it white diamond. that will fix it.



    aftermarket cats by no name companies are going to be junk, if you go with a well known company like magnaflow you should be fine.
    Yes, I wouldn't have bought the magnaflows if I didn't agree, great company great products.

  7. #6
    Blayne's Avatar
    Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sudbury, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,058
    Depending on where it is cracked, you may be able to get a muffler shop to weld it. It would need to be braise welded but it would likely do the job.

  8. #7
    cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    220

    Re: Help! LOL....aftermarket catalytic converter

    I've had to TIG weld one of my factory cats that cracked at the flange (actually, the flange broke off). Not a big deal, I welded it back together just fine.
    Bluehaze07 and Bluehaze07 like this.

  9. #8
    CTSjones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L manual
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, WA USA
    Posts
    245

    Re: Help! LOL....aftermarket catalytic converter

    Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    Depending on where it is cracked, you may be able to get a muffler shop to weld it. It would need to be braise welded but it would likely do the job.
    +1. Mine was cracked and had a local Muffler shop weld it up. Cheap.

  10. #9
    Bluehaze07's Avatar
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    1,380
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman_jd View Post
    My car came with California emissions so I just bought 2 Magnaflow OEM direct-fit catalytic converters for my 3.6L just for sh*t and giggles to see if it flows better that the stock ones. Haven't installed them yet, waiting for gaskets from Rock auto since the dumb-asses at Magnaflow support/customer service said.

    "We don't provide gaskets for those parts. Either we haven't been able to source adequate aftermarket gaskets or they are only available through the dealership. We do try and provide gaskets with all our converters. There are some small instances, like this, where we haven't been able to find any yet." I call bullsh*t. For Pete's-sake!

    Anyhow back to your problem, are you sure they are 3 bolt flanges? Either way when I look it up 2005 3.6 or 2.8 both show two bolt flange. If it's a 3.6L it takes the same as mine. Amazon has the passenger side for $330. (just went up from $303 the other day.) Everyone else sell it for $481 for that particular model. They make a cheaper model for around $402 and a few other companies have it for a lot less than that just not sure of flow or quality.

    Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Prod...ype=automotive They come O2 sensor ready.

    Side note: I bought mine from AutoAnything, great company they have a one year price match on everything they sell. After I bought the Cats from them when I saw the Amazon had them for less and they refunded the difference to my account three days later.

    ----------



    Sorry it took so long.
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess i dreamt that i replied to this post. I was going off what i read in another thread about the flange bolts i think. I was checking the Magnaflow catalytic converters out but, I just spent some $$$ on the exhaust and installation so spending another 600-700 is out the picture. The flange definitely has two bolts.

    I'll probably just have the exhaust shop quote me for re-welding the catalytic converter to the flange.



    Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike
    paint it white diamond. that will fix it.

    aftermarket cats by no name companies are going to be junk, if you go with a well known company like magnaflow you should be fine.
    I hope they Have the white diamond Powerblock technician at the shop. . I'll pay them to gut my cats and put white diamond mini power blocks in there and paint the outside stealth grey. That way the car will be faster than a turbo and it will have zero emissions!

  11. #10
    ghettomike's Avatar
    ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    off the grid.
    Age
    30
    Posts
    7,915

    Re: Help! LOL....aftermarket catalytic converter

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    I hope they Have the white diamond Powerblock technician at the shop. . I'll pay them to gut my cats and put white diamond mini power blocks in there and paint the outside stealth grey. That way the car will be faster than a turbo and it will have zero emissions!
    i like the way you think!

  12. #11
    Bluehaze07's Avatar
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    1,380
    Thread Starter
    I got quoted $50 - $60 to weld the cracked CAT if I take it off. $180 if they have to take it off. I guess i'll either take it off myself or get a second opinion from another shop. I want to get it done this week.

  13. #12
    Bluehaze07's Avatar
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    1,380
    Thread Starter
    I havent looked at the manual yet but, have anyone removed the CATs on their car and how labor intensive was it?

  14. #13
    arogers260's Avatar
    arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07
    I havent looked at the manual yet but, have anyone removed the CATs on their car and how labor intensive was it?
    It doesn't seem like to hard of a job based off my manual it has an estimated 1 hr labor time for removal and replacement. Basically all you do is unbolt it to remove. And that labor time Is for both left and right side I think.

  15. #14
    Bluehaze07's Avatar
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    1,380
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by arogers260

    It doesn't seem like to hard of a job based off my manual it has an estimated 1 hr labor time for removal and replacement. Basically all you do is unbolt it to remove. And that labor time Is for both left and right side I think.
    Ok well reality may be different for me hahaha. If it works out then, I'll do this at Lunch tomorrow, take it to the shop then have them weld it and take it back. Hopefully I have time to put it back on before the end of the day.

  16. #15
    DonnyCapone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6L Cadillac CTS w/ luxury & sport package
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    49

    Re: Help! LOL....aftermarket catalytic converter

    hmmm. I called my local exhaust shop i've been using for years when i got a OBD reading saying one of my cats was failing and i was looking for a replacement. I was told the only one that would work with the stock system on my 2005 3.6l was one from Cadillac as there were no aftermarket cats out. Is this information correct because obviously Cadillac wanted an arm and a leg for a replacement cat I haven't purchased a new cat yet as i'm exploring my options, but it would be useful to know if after-market stuff is available that maybe my local exhaust shop isn't aware of.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting