Bought a fixer upper... Need a little guidance (lots of pics to help)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By AAIIIC
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Bought a fixer upper... Need a little guidance (lots of pics to help) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I recently purchased a 2003 CTS thats a bit of a fixer upper. There is nothing "major" wrong with the ...
    sen2two is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Bought a fixer upper... Need a little guidance (lots of pics to help)

I recently purchased a 2003 CTS thats a bit of a fixer upper. There is nothing "major" wrong with the car. But there are tons of small things. The deal was to good to pass up giving it only has 78,000 miles. I am a decent mechanic with plenty of experience, mainly on older japanese and muscle cars though. The technology in the CTS is a lot to take in at first, but i am a quick learner. Hopefully this community dosnt mind pointing me in the right direction.

Here are a bunch of connectors and a few lines I noticed that were missing it's counterpart or in need of fixing. I am attatching pictures with red arrows pointing to the part in question.

1. Its on the same harness as the drive by wire just a few inches away. Don't see where it plugs

into...?

2. I beleieve this one has a ground to the frame a few inches away on the passenger side and the

harness eventually connects to the electric power steering?

3. This one is mounted on the strut tower on the passenger side and connects to the main

harness.

And a close up shot.

4. This one is very close to the previous connector but running along the harness.

And a close up shot.

5. This one was easy to find where it plugs into, But I am curious to what it is. I am going to

guess electrnic ABS or wheel speed sensor? Also, it was obviously unplugged for a while wearing

the connector down. Am I able to order just this connector?

6. What appears to be a broken vacuum line by the throttle body going under the intake manifold

to somewhere?

7. This is a broken vacuum line in the rear of the intake manifold. I think whatever it was

connected to has broken off...?

8. This one has a special connection that seems to be damaged.

9. There is a little box on the lower end of the intake piping closer to the drivers side of the

car. There is a little line disconnected coming out of the box...

10. This looks like the vacuum line is missing all together. Its centered between the dual intake

pipes about half way down mounted almost directly infront of the main crank pulley.

Sorry it's so long. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrCookie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS

Re: Bought a fixer upper... Need a little guidance (lots of pics to help)

Ok, if you can load the pic's on here would be a little easier, for some reason I can't get the pic's in the links to load, just some of them. That broken vac line under the manifold connects to the bottom of the throttle bodies. I think it's that little hose that you can see hanging under there in that pic. You are missing 2 other vac lines that follow along side of the intake. The conector on the wheel speed sensor, if it's the part that goes to the sensor, you will have to replace the wheel bearing hub. If it's the other side, then I don't know. That white piece of plastic in the line that runs with the fuel lines, That is an EVAP line, the white part is not supposed to be there. Is that car running? I would like to know how they did that much to it in less then 80k miles. If you are in AZ I might be able to meet up with you to do a side by side comparison so you can see what should be where.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
    I recently purchased a 2003 CTS thats a bit of a fixer upper. There is nothing "major" wrong with the car. But there are tons of small things. The deal was to good to pass up giving it only has 78,000 miles. I am a decent mechanic with plenty of experience, mainly on older japanese and muscle cars though. The technology in the CTS is a lot to take in at first, but i am a quick learner. Hopefully this community dosnt mind pointing me in the right direction.

Here are a bunch of connectors and a few lines I noticed that were missing it's counterpart or in need of fixing. I am attatching pictures with red arrows pointing to the part in question.

1. Its on the same harness as the drive by wire just a few inches away. Don't see where it plugs into...?

2. I beleieve this one has a ground to the frame a few inches away on the passenger side and the harness eventually connects to the electric power steering?

3. This one is mounted on the strut tower on the passenger side and connects to the main harness.

And a close up shot.

4. This one is very close to the previous connector but running along the harness.

And a close up shot.

5. This one was easy to find where it plugs into, But I am curious to what it is. I am going to guess electrnic ABS or wheel speed sensor? Also, it was obviously unplugged for a while wearing the connector down. Am I able to order just this connector?

6. What appears to be a broken vacuum line by the throttle body going under the intake manifold to somewhere?

7. This is a broken vacuum line in the rear of the intake manifold. I think whatever it was connected to has broken off...?

8. This one has a special connection that seems to be damaged.

9. There is a little box on the lower end of the intake piping closer to the drivers side of the car. There is a little line disconnected coming out of the box...

10. This looks like the vacuum line is missing all together. Its centered between the dual intake pipes about half way down mounted almost directly infront of the main crank pulley.

Sorry it's so long. Thanks in advance for the help!
    It wouldn't have been so long if you had formatted it correctly. I don't know where you were cutting-and-pasting from, but however you did it just made your post here almost worthless, with extra hard returns in the middle of sentences and pictures that don't show up because all of the URLs are screwed up.

Can you see your pictures in your original post? I don't think anybody else can.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Hmm... That's weird. It worked fine when I first posted it. Why does it show up when you quote it though?

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Because I fixed all your screwy formatting.
    Argent1 and Argent1 like this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Thank you for that.

And now that the pics show, can anyone give me a play by play of what goes where?

The car does start and drive and dosnt seem to have any trouble.

MrCookie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS

Well that plug that is with the throttle wire connects to a wire that goes to a sensor that is behind the timing belt cover.
    1823823527.jpg

Your broken vac hose at the back of the intake should be plugged in to the round part that is back there. and the 90 degree hose that comes out of it should have aline that goes to the front.
    1154370399.jpg
    1483729365.jpg
    3404248777.jpg
    1606709608.jpg

That plug that has one opening should have a wire in it, I didn't see where it goes.
    1682790087.jpg

The one running out of the harness might be from a small pump motor that is under the wiring harness.
    484925128.jpg

And damn I'm annoyed with Flickr

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.