exhaust leak... no gasket from factory?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, exhaust leak... no gasket from factory? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I just came back from the dealer and they informed me that there is no gasket that fits in between ...
    sen2two is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

exhaust leak... no gasket from factory?

I just came back from the dealer and they informed me that there is no gasket that fits in between the driver side exhaust manifold and catalytic converter. But when I removed the cat from the exhaust manifold, there was a gasket their. I do not believe it was the correct gasket though. It is unusable at this time anyway. I looked at the diagrams for the car and it also does not show a gasket there. Does anybody know for sure if a gasket is supposed to go in this location? Or is it supposed to be a press seal fitment, metal to metal, after tightening? If this is the case, then the gasket that was there could possibly been the cause of the exhaust leak...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by sen2two
    I just came back from the dealer and they informed me that there is no gasket that fits in between the driver side exhaust manifold and catalytic converter. But when I removed the cat from the exhaust manifold, there was a gasket their. I do not believe it was the correct gasket though. It is unusable at this time anyway. I looked at the diagrams for the car and it also does not show a gasket there. Does anybody know for sure if a gasket is supposed to go in this location? Or is it supposed to be a press seal fitment, metal to metal, after tightening? If this is the case, then the gasket that was there could possibly been the cause of the exhaust leak...
    Can you take a picture? It would help to verify what you are asking. I've been removing my exhaust a few times recently and there is no true gasket but, there is some type of high temperature material on the flange that connects the cats to the exhaust manifold.

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Re: exhaust leak... no gasket from factory?

This is it, it's FEL-PRO Part # 61525 and it's going for $4.48 a piece from RockAuto.com

sen2two is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    Can you take a picture? It would help to verify what you are asking. I've been removing my exhaust a few times recently and there is no true gasket but, there is some type of high temperature material on the flange that connects the cats to the exhaust manifold.
    I have not been able to take a look since it has been rainging here everyday since I removed it. Hopefully the rain will stop soon so I can inspect the surface for the "high temperature material ".

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post

This is it, it's FEL-PRO Part # 61525 and it's going for $4.48 a piece from RockAuto.com
    I really doubt that is the one. The flange has 3 bolts.

After googling the part number it shows that it is for a 2008+ CTS as well. Thanks anyway.

Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

This is what I found and it looks to take a round "O" ring type for the 3 bolt flange

Rock auto exhaust pic of the 2003 3.2l
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...162&cc=1383544

eBay Pic. looks to be a metallic crush type.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AP-EXHAUST-8...a7c34e&vxp=mtr

Open the link it show the drivers side catalytic converter. click on the picture to enlarge, notice the inside the 3 bolt flange shows a groove for the "O" ring gasket.
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...oc=Driver+Side

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by sen2two

I have not been able to take a look since it has been rainging here everyday since I removed it. Hopefully the rain will stop soon so I can inspect the surface for the "high temperature material ".
    yeah I haven't been under there in a little while. I actually think it might be a O ring style gasket.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

In the old days it used to be an Asbestos Donut. Not Eco friendly now, lol.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.