Typical oil consumption for a 3.6?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Typical oil consumption for a 3.6? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I've figured out that my oil consumption rate for my 2004 CTS, 3.6 L engine, with 92K miles on it, ...
    cmjohnson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS luxury package

Typical oil consumption for a 3.6?

I've figured out that my oil consumption rate for my 2004 CTS, 3.6 L engine, with 92K miles on it, is about a quart every 4000 miles.

I know that the 3.6 is known to use some oil.

How does my rate of oil consumption rate compared to the "typical" 3.6?

Just curious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k
    GM would call that perfectly acceptable....
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

Re: Typical oil consumption for a 3.6?

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    GM would call that perfectly acceptable....
    I'd call it lucky. I'm closer to 1qt/800 miles or so.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen View Post

I'd call it lucky. I'm closer to 1qt/800 miles or so.
    OK, GM corporate would call it acceptable... A GM technician would call it lucky
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

poncho89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS- V

I'm curious about this as well, it seems that most people's oil consumption issues begin at higher mileage. Is this theory accurate according to others experience? My 07 has 54,000 and has never burned a drop and believe me I check it religiously.

CTS414 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L Volant CAI/Gibson Exhaust/18" Modas

I have an '04 3.6L and I'm right on par with you cmjohnson with about 1qt every 4k.

My car has 63,000 Miles on it at the moment and this rate has been constant since I bought it with 42k.

aviatordave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS, 1976 Seville (sold)

hmmm, I guess I have something to look forward to... my 07 with 75k doesn't burn or drip any between changes.

Snake Enterprises is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L

Seems to be with that if I drive mine like a normal daily put put mobile then i don't burn anything. At least nothing noticeable over a few thousand km's. However, I rarely do this, I love my 6-Speed 3.6, and I tend to drive the piss out of it.

If i do a couple pulls from stop lights then I need to put oil in next time I go out..
    CTSM and CTSM like this.

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

Yeah, I should try driving like a normal person for a while and see how much it uses... But, on the bright side I basically never need to change my oil, just the filter haha.

whew... I thought I was the only person to run the snot outta my CTS.
    CTSM and CTSM like this.

CTSM is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Quote Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
    ....my 07 with 75k doesn't burn or drip any between changes.
    You knaow, we heee in teh CeeeTEESSss owil burnerrr club don't like your kind around these hereparts see? If yowu down't buwrn owil in heearrr seee.... then you can GEEEEEET OUT SON mmmmkay? Mmkaay.

Cawsee I lawve meee the smell of couked up Mobiiiiiil Waaaaan in thaa mowwning don't ya like it fellaa?!

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Enterprises View Post
    Seems to be with that if I drive mine like a normal daily put put mobile then i don't burn anything. At least nothing noticeable over a few thousand km's. However, I rarely do this, I love my 6-Speed 3.6, and I tend to drive the piss out of it.

If i do a couple pulls from stop lights then I need to put oil in next time I go out..
    Too bad the only thing you are driving out of it is Mobil-1 5W-30 Full Synthetic Piss!

Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen View Post
    Yeah, I should try driving like a normal person for a while and see how much it uses... But, on the bright side I basically never need to change my oil, just the filter haha.
    wow you're kidding right? Right??? hehehe

whew... I thought I was the only person to run the snot outta my CTS.
    No sir, we all do. Every single guy on this forum with a functional right foot is driving bejeeebees out of their cars no matter what they tell you. Today I took 2 hour cruise around the state, I filled my ear with delightful Borla exhaust notes with windows down and my acceleration up, what a beautiful day I feel reborn!

These aren't some 1930 Bugatti collector cars. These are modern daily driving beasts that are meant to be enjoyed. If you want to honor this car drive it so hard till Mobil 1 starts shooting out of the windshield washer nozzles (yes as a sort of a mechanical climax reaction to the driving experience ).

This car LOVES to be driven hard and it rewards the driver for every millimeter of peddle travel. I have driven SO many cars over time and many much more expensive than this CTS....this is the only car I just can't get enough off, I know have accumulated over 70K on it and I just can't seem to get enough. Love the fact that this is a daily driven car, daily cared for daily maintained daily used and abused. It's what puts the smile on my face when I leave my place and when it's time to go home. Nothing, except for a 1st gen V compares to the driving experience that one gets in a 1st gen CTS classy, dynamic performance Sedan. I think it's obvious there are much better performance cars to compare this to, however the overall combined driving experience in between luxury appointments, space, driving capability make it something else.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    You knaow, we heee in teh CeeeTEESSss owil burnerrr club don't like your kind around these hereparts see? If yowu down't buwrn owil in heearrr seee.... then you can GEEEEEET OUT SON mmmmkay? Mmkaay.

Cawsee I lawve meee the smell of couked up Mobiiiiiil Waaaaan in thaa mowwning don't ya like it fellaa?!

Too bad the only thing you are driving out of it is Mobil-1 5W-30 Full Synthetic Piss!

wow you're kidding right? Right??? hehehe

No sir, we all do. Every single guy on this forum with a functional right foot is driving bejeeebees out of their cars no matter what they tell you. Today I took 2 hour cruise around the state, I filled my ear with delightful Borla exhaust notes with windows down and my acceleration up, what a beautiful day I feel reborn!

These aren't some 1930 Bugatti collector cars. These are modern daily driving beasts that are meant to be enjoyed. If you want to honor this car drive it so hard till Mobil 1 starts shooting out of the windshield washer nozzles (yes as a sort of a mechanical climax reaction to the driving experience ).

This car LOVES to be driven hard and it rewards the driver for every millimeter of peddle travel. I have driven SO many cars over time and many much more expensive than this CTS....this is the only car I just can't get enough off, I know have accumulated over 70K on it and I just can't seem to get enough. Love the fact that this is a daily driven car, daily cared for daily maintained daily used and abused. It's what puts the smile on my face when I leave my place and when it's time to go home. Nothing, except for a 1st gen V compares to the driving experience that one gets in a 1st gen CTS classy, dynamic performance Sedan. I think it's obvious there are much better performance cars to compare this to, however the overall combined driving experience in between luxury appointments, space, driving capability make it something else.
    ok... I'll drip a little on the exhaust so it'll smoke for you.

my other car is a turbo 04 MazdaSpeed Miata that begs to be run hard.... usually up around the 5000-6200 RPM range.

CTSM is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

ok... I'll drip a little on the exhaust so it'll smoke for you.
    Mmmkaayyy, you just gotta do enough of that to meet our standards of 1qt/ 1K miles minimum, the more your burn the more we'll accept you

my other car is a turbo 04 MazdaSpeed Miata that begs to be run hard.... usually up around the 5000-6200 RPM range.
    Ahhhh you see, that Miata is a fun car I'm sure, but you just got to keep your foot planted to maintain boost, otherwise you will not be feeling much torque.
    With the CTS on the other hand, around 2K is when the sweet spot starts, meaning right when the light turns green and that's in a V6, that's why I love driving my car, I'm having fun all over the rev range it's like having a junior V8 under there

Wila is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS

I drive my cts hard too its a 07 with 97, xxx miles it burns up about a qt ever 2k miles

figgie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

well I must have won the lottery... my car (07 3.6) goes through about 1/4 quart every 8k miles. Since the factory been on full synth and nothing else. I have 140,000 on my car but I am the original owner (special ordered from Lansing). I have no issues with oil on the car. Then again, the minute I got the car, it was pedal to the metal to finish breaking the engine in if needed (which is not as those engines are broke in from factory).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.