Typical oil consumption for a 3.6? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Typical oil consumption for a 3.6? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; GM says 1 quart every 2000 miles is acceptable. If your car consumes more than 1 quart every 2000 miles, ...
    BigPapaH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 3.6 Lux Sport, this is my final GM car.

Re: Typical oil consumption for a 3.6?

GM says 1 quart every 2000 miles is acceptable. If your car consumes more than 1 quart every 2000 miles, that is excessive. Be aware that GM will fight you every step of the way to not fix this problem. On my 2006, it had oil consumption issues since day one. At 30,000 miles, after several oil consumption tests, they pulled the engine and put in new rings and valve stem seals, but no cylinder work. That will help for a short time. In my case, about 10,000 miles later, back to high oil consumption (1 quart every 800 miles). I pressed for an extended warrenty, GM denied it because the entire car is a POS, but gave me a component coverage letter on the engine. After several more oil consumption tests, they put in a new engine at 65,000 miles on the cars odometer. Yes, I am bitter about the whole thing. You would be also after buying a new car and having it require over $24,000 in warranty repairs. And yes, that gets noticed when you want to trade it in, which is why I am still driving this car.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Typical oil consumption for a 3.6?

Quote Originally Posted by figgie View Post
    well I must have won the lottery... my car (07 3.6) goes through about 1/4 quart every 8k miles. Since the factory been on full synth and nothing else. I have 140,000 on my car but I am the original owner (special ordered from Lansing). I have no issues with oil on the car. Then again, the minute I got the car, it was pedal to the metal to finish breaking the engine in if needed (which is not as those engines are broke in from factory).
    What do you mean by 'special ordered'. My CTS was ordered as well. Its coming up on 100k miles and I drove it hard from from the 1st start. I didnt redline it until 5000 miles, but I ran it 'city-hard'...50-75% throttle, varying rpms from 2000-4000 consistently. I did a couple extra oils changes early on, as well. I think I had 4 engine oil changes by 10000 miles, and all fluids replaced once by that point. I see about 1/2 qt every 5000 miles and I drive it hard. Seems those of us who have driven the car hard from the start see no serious oil burning issues....

----------

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapaH View Post
    GM says 1 quart every 2000 miles is acceptable. If your car consumes more than 1 quart every 2000 miles, that is excessive. Be aware that GM will fight you every step of the way to not fix this problem. On my 2006, it had oil consumption issues since day one. At 30,000 miles, after several oil consumption tests, they pulled the engine and put in new rings and valve stem seals, but no cylinder work. That will help for a short time. In my case, about 10,000 miles later, back to high oil consumption (1 quart every 800 miles). I pressed for an extended warrenty, GM denied it because the entire car is a POS, but gave me a component coverage letter on the engine. After several more oil consumption tests, they put in a new engine at 65,000 miles on the cars odometer. Yes, I am bitter about the whole thing. You would be also after buying a new car and having it require over $24,000 in warranty repairs. And yes, that gets noticed when you want to trade it in, which is why I am still driving this car.
    I feel for you, only if you mean YOUR CTS is a POS. Good luck with another brand. All of them will treat you the same way. They will step on you until the NHTSA tells them to watch where they are walking.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    Ahhhh you see, that Miata is a fun car I'm sure, but you just got to keep your foot planted to maintain boost, otherwise you will not be feeling much torque.
    With the CTS on the other hand, around 2K is when the sweet spot starts, meaning right when the light turns green and that's in a V6, that's why I love driving my car, I'm having fun all over the rev range it's like having a junior V8 under there
    While I applaud you support of the CTS (Im a huge 1st gen V6 lover...have owned a few and have been driving some version of 1 since 04), I have to call you on the Miata comments. The Mazdaspped Miata will take a stock 1st gen V6 in every performance category besides top speed. There is very little little turbo lag, and makes good power everywhere as well, especially in such a light package.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.