Audio upgrade help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Audio upgrade help in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Ok, I know this basic question has been asked a thousand times, but I have yet (after reading 200+ threads ...
    firemedic7733 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Audio upgrade help

Ok, I know this basic question has been asked a thousand times, but I have yet (after reading 200+ threads to find a correct answer. I have a 2003 CTS with Bose, in dash CD changer & navigation. I'm wanting to upgrade the audio. I need to know the proper wire identification coming from the amp to the speakers. And not just the subs. I know the amp is integral & must be used if retaining the factory receiver (which I am). The closest thing I have found to correct is this:

http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/...tail/a_id/3651

The second page is the correct connectors, however wiring is not correct. There is not ground wire listed for the subs and what is listed for the other speakers is wrong as well. So, which wires are which? You can use the numbers listed in the pics for the connectors, or give me wire colors. I know someone out there HAS to know this. Please help.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

neurotictim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, stock. Blacked-Out 2007 CTS 3.6 "Odd One"

Re: Audio upgrade help

I'll check into this when I get home. I've got the 10K+ page service manual, and as I recall it has accurate wire colors in the one of chapters in the back.

I'm pretty sure that you don't need to keep the factory amp if you don't want to - you'll just need a line converter, processor, or amp with hi-level inputs.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

PM me your email address and I can send pictures and wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by neurotictim View Post
    I'll check into this when I get home. I've got the 10K+ page service manual, and as I recall it has accurate wire colors in the one of chapters in the back.

I'm pretty sure that you don't need to keep the factory amp if you don't want to - you'll just need a line converter, processor, or amp with hi-level inputs.
    Not to disagree with you, but from everything I have read, this is how the system works. The receiver only has 2 channel output, Left and Right, which both feed back to the amp. These feeds are essentially signal only. If you were to wire either channel directly to a speaker (or a line out converter, DSP, amp, ect...) the volume level is permanently fixed and will not adjust and there is no equalization or signal processing. The data line that feeds into the amp is what controls the volume, EQ, signal processing, ect. I have read this in several threads, but if I am wrong, by all means please correct me. The previous owner of the car either had the sub removed or ordered the vehicle without the sub. I have dismantled the entire trunk, back seat and package tray (rear deck) and can find no remnants of any wires or connectors that went to the factory sub and in fact, the mounting holes do not appear to have ever seen a screw. The harnesses coming from the amp appear fully intact. The 2 subwoofer wires identified in my link are both positive. I do not see a label for any other sub wires. So, I figured I would just tie into the rear door speakers and run those for a sub. While using my multi meter, it appears those are not correct either. So, before I cut every wire and methodically spend hours trying to identify channels, I figured somebody HAS to know lol. I'm about at the end of my rope

----------

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    PM sent

----------

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    PM sent

neurotictim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, stock. Blacked-Out 2007 CTS 3.6 "Odd One"

Sorry man, I totally spaced on this last night.

I actually don't know for sure on your points - I seem to recall a guy here locally with an 05 (ish) CTS that's running OEM HU/Nav to a pair of amps, but maybe there's more there going on than I am aware of.

In either case, I'd like to hear more about it. If I have time (sigh) today after work I'll look through the service manual, and maybe I can help out with something. I will say that a DSP like the MS-8 or RF ThreeSixty will take two inputs and turn them into as many outputs as you need. So that's a possibility, at least.

For the time being, I will be using a line out converter to add an amp and subs. The MS8 will accomplish the "2 in, 8 out" goal. I will eventually be using this: http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...2-x-in-8-x-out Problem is (or appears) that the 2 feeds into amp are fixed volume. As I said, most of my reading states that the volume control is in the amp and by bypassing the amp & keeping the factory head unit, the volume control will be lost. I've been talking to a guy that went into amps with speaker level inputs, but I have 2 good amps on hand and would hate to buy new amps just for speaker level inputs. He says there is no common ground for subs, meaning I would have to ground those feeds myself

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic7733
    For the time being, I will be using a line out converter to add an amp and subs. The MS8 will accomplish the "2 in, 8 out" goal. I will eventually be using this: http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...2-x-in-8-x-out Problem is (or appears) that the 2 feeds into amp are fixed volume. As I said, most of my reading states that the volume control is in the amp and by bypassing the amp & keeping the factory head unit, the volume control will be lost. I've been talking to a guy that went into amps with speaker level inputs, but I have 2 good amps on hand and would hate to buy new amps just for speaker level inputs. He says there is no common ground for subs, meaning I would have to ground those feeds myself
    The MS8, Audio Control LC7, OR JL Cleansweep is the solution. You can use the two left and two right input to create your channels through summing the signals to make a full range. you will lose chimes though.

Make sure you use the factory amp outputs on your line out converter for the subs. Use the rear outputs on the Bose amp. Tan and orange RR. tan and white LR. Use those if you are trying to keep the chimes and "better signal". I will check my output connections for you once I get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    The MS8, Audio Control LC7, OR JL Cleansweep is the solution. You can use the two left and two right input to create your channels through summing the signals to make a full range. you will lose chimes though.

Make sure you use the factory amp outputs on your line out converter for the subs. Use the rear outputs on the Bose amp. Tan and orange RR. tan and white LR. Use those if you are trying to keep the chimes and "better signal". I will check my output connections for you once I get to work.
    I've heard a lot of good stuff about the clean sweep and the MS8 and have done extensive research in the DSP world. The miniDSP will essentially do everything that the others do, but it seems to "fit" into my ultimate goal better. Plus it's substantially cheaper.... to the tune of half the price of an MS8.

I will be working on the system again tonight & tomorrow. I will tap into those wires and see what I come up with

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.