Just bought a black 2006 CTS 3.6 - Best way to make exterior look like new?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By curtc
  • 2 Post By Tx_Cts_1821
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Just bought a black 2006 CTS 3.6 - Best way to make exterior look like new? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Its a nice car(dvd/navi/ CTS-V grill, heated seats, bose etc.) but it has minor scratches and swirls all over it(they ...
    foland is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just bought a black 2006 CTS 3.6 - Best way to make exterior look like new?

Its a nice car(dvd/navi/ CTS-V grill, heated seats, bose etc.) but it has minor scratches and swirls all over it(they dont go through the clear coat)

Have you guys found anything that can cover these? Would just wax work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

Re: Just bought a black 2006 CTS 3.6 - Best way to make exterior look like new?

Find a good detail shop and have them buff and wax it. That might take it out. They will be able to tell you in advance.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 125k

Maguiar's makes a product called "ScratchX 2.0" that I have used to remove minor swirl marks, works fairly well IMO.

Turtle Wax also makes a "Black Box" wax kit specifically for black finishes that you could use after the ScratchX treatment, I have heard good things about the black box from other black car owners.
    TheBrown57 and TheBrown57 like this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Awesome thanks guys,

I'm gonna grab the turtle black box kit(i didnt even know they made such a thing.)

Then i'm going to take it to a body shop as it has a few other small paint issues that i want to see how much it will cost. 1 is slightly bigger than a half dollar from a previous minor wreck that somehow has some pink stuff in it(maybe wax?)

nedstar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L Manual

I'd do it in the other order...taking it to the bodyshop first if you are going to do that anyway. No point in waxing ect then taking it to a body shop. Also, bodyfiller is usually pink.

Tx_Cts_1821 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Take a look at Zaino. It has the most advanced detailing supplies I have tried. I have used turtle wax, meguiars ultimate,zymol and Zaino's durability is beyond anything I hav ever see. My CTS is a daily driver, yet the body shines more than my friends Buick Regal Turbo and Mercedes C250 and they are both new. At night is when the paints shine really comes out and literally "Pops". I did the longest process and the durability has been going on for 3+ months

http://www.zainostore.com/
    CTSjones and CTSjones like this.

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    I just used the black box kit. Should have used the scratch x first. The black box works awesome. Really made the car a nice deep black again. Just to fore warn, the box says gloves recommended......GET GLOVES!!!! Buy a box of latex gloves cause the waxes and sprays have pigment and will dye your hands black!!!!

poncho89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS- V

For swirl marks and fine scratches I have used 3M swirl mark remover. I had to get it from a paint supply store and it was kinda pricey ( $25) but it worked awesome, took the swirl marks right out and left a great base for final polishing. I don't use wax on my car, I actually use a marine polish with teflon in it. It is hands down the best thing I ever used! It lasts at least 2-3 times as long as any wax and it applies and removes super easy.

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    Maguiar's makes a product called "ScratchX 2.0" that I have used to remove minor swirl marks, works fairly well IMO.

Turtle Wax also makes a "Black Box" wax kit specifically for black finishes that you could use after the ScratchX treatment, I have heard good things about the black box from other black car owners.
    Just tried out the scratchx 2.0

I had a half dollar sized scrape on the passenger side mirror casing and its almost completely gone. Took a good amount of elbow grease but it was well worth it. I tried it on a few smaller scratches and it seemed to work OK but that was only after 1-2 applications the scrape took 6-7 so ill give the smaller ones a few more. But definitely a good product.

I plan on trying the "Paint Restoration Kit" by meguirs tomorrow. Anybody tried it before?

figgie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

be easier with machine.

get a "swirl remover" from Meguir's, Turtle wax etc.

wash car
    CLAY the car (this is very important now a days).
    Dry car with either a blower or make damn sure that the towel you use won't ADD more scratches to car.

light scratches

Swirl Remove
    paint sealant
    Wax

heavy scratches

Compound
    swirl remover
    sealant
    wax

in short, sealant is synthetic. Wax is Carnuba wax.

go visit autogeek to get detailing how-to's.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.