Help!?!?!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Help!?!?! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I really don't need any help with my car, though my brain is a different story. I made this thread ...
    Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Help!?!?!

I really don't need any help with my car, though my brain is a different story.

I made this thread just to see how many of YOU would actually look at this thread and not reply. Or better yet how many threads will get answered before mine. Simply because I have the word "Help" in the title instead of a brief description of my problem, which isn't a problem at all.

I just wanted to to see what happens is all. Purely boredom right now.

KOT

PS For those of you that know AppleScript, I really need help there. Trying to create a program that will automatically close another when the system idles after a certain amount of time. (yeah right, I'll win the lotto before getting an answer from car guys. lol)

Hmm, after 20 minutes of being posted and 20 views. No one has replied... I find it interesting that the previous "help" thread received far less views before it received a reply.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Re: Help!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    PS For those of you that know AppleScript, I really need help there. Trying to create a program that will automatically close another when the system idles after a certain amount of time. (yeah right, I'll win the lotto before getting an answer from car guys. lol)

Hmm, after 20 minutes of being posted and 20 views. No one has replied... I find it interesting that the previous "help" thread received far less views before it received a reply.
    tell application "Notes"
    quit application
    endtell

Now I don't know AppleScript I'm usually a Linux/Unix guy but I have come across this one before somewhere.

If you want to know how to do this in a shell script or in a C / C++ / C# program I'm sure I can be more handy hehe

Now the only reason I actually viewed and "Help?!!?"ed is because I found it to be very strange it was you of all people starting a thread like this hehe!

----------

In the above example I'm assuming you want to close the Notes program...it can be anything else obviously.

A48WillyzGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS
    If I want to close a program, I usually click the red "X". I know, it seems far-fetched.

Actually, I hit Alt+F4, but I know enough about Macs to get really lost in them. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    tell application "Notes"
    quit application
    endtell

Now I don't know AppleScript I'm usually a Linux/Unix guy but I have come across this one before somewhere.

If you want to know how to do this in a shell script or in a C / C++ / C# program I'm sure I can be more handy hehe

Now the only reason I actually viewed and "Help?!!?"ed is because I found it to be very strange it was you of all people starting a thread like this hehe!

----------

In the above example I'm assuming you want to close the Notes program...it can be anything else obviously.
    Ha ha, I was a bit worried about the fact that it was posted by me.

What is shell script or whatever? Now that you caught me off guard with knowledge of AppleScript, no offense. My goal is to quit Safari after a certain amount of idle time. The reason, is because my mom tends to leave it open on a page that is CPU hungry. And I prefer not to put the Mac to sleep, though willing to do that on hers if need be. I can't put mine to sleep because I use it as a wireless router for my Dish Network box. I already have her put the monitor off by using Hot Corners. And in my search, I've found ScriptSaver which does work. But a screen saver won't activate when the monitor is already off. Though, I am willing to remove the Turn monitor off using Hot Corner.

Quote Originally Posted by A48WillyzGuy View Post
    If I want to close a program, I usually click the red "X". I know, it seems far-fetched.

Actually, I hit Alt+F4, but I know enough about Macs to get really lost in them. Lol.
    There are a few ways on a Mac. Command W closes the window, while Command Q quits the app. In the Mac world, an app doesn't really quit unless you tell it to. But unlike the Windows world, the "opened" app goes into a deep sleep. That is if the opened window isn't CPU hungry. For example, I have Safari, Messages, Mail, Calendar, iTunes, Calculator, AppleScript, MS Word and Excel all "opened". Yet in all four cores of my CPU, they are registering at 95% idle or more, heck some aren't even being used. However, if I open VMWare and then Windows XP, the idle state on the Mac goes down and a lot of CPU is being used. That's by Windows XP, I don't want to know what it would be like if I had Vista on there. lol I am waiting on a Windows 7 though, XP is a bit old for me.

KOT

I'm still rocking XP on my gaming rig! I agree, Vista brings the suck. Lol

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

I'm with you, I don't know why folks name their post "help" or "I have a problem". Can't the just write in the symptom ? I did look when I saw KOT.

Thanks for all the help that you give folks over the years.

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k

Only reason I looked at this was because KOT started it....."What the F is KOT doing starting a thread so horribly titled???" Was my thought process...

For all other "Help!?!?" titled threads I hover and read the description before I even open it...."Help" just doesn't cut it in here, need more info!!!!
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Come on people, we really need to help this guy out...

http://on.aol.com/video/man-says-he-...laylist=127158

KOT

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Code:
    global quit_after, check_every 

set quit_after to 900 
    set check_every to 10 

display dialog "Check is performed every " & check_every & " seconds. Safari will be quit after " & quit_after & " seconds of system inactivity." 

on reopen 
    display dialog "Check is performed every " & check_every & " seconds. Safari will be quit after " & quit_after & " seconds of system inactivity." 
    end reopen 

on idle 
    set idletime to do shell script "echo $((`ioreg -c IOHIDSystem | sed -e '/HIDIdleTime/ !{ d' -e 't' -e '}' -e 's/.* = //g' -e 'q'` / 1000000000))" 
    if (idletime as integer) > quit_after then 
    tell application "System Events" 
    if ((name of processes) contains "Safari") then 
    tell application "Safari" to quit 
    end if 
    end tell 
    end if 
    return check_every 
    end idle
    try that
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k

Not only is Rippy a fine parts guy, he doubles as a programmer!!! Jack of all trades!
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Code:
    global quit_after, check_every 

set quit_after to 900 
    set check_every to 10 

on reopen 
    end reopen 

on idle 
    set idletime to do shell script "echo $((`ioreg -c IOHIDSystem | sed -e '/HIDIdleTime/ !{ d' -e 't' -e '}' -e 's/.* = //g' -e 'q'` / 1000000000))" 
    if (idletime as integer) > quit_after then 
    tell application "System Events" 
    if ((name of processes) contains "Safari") then 
    tell application "Safari" to quit 
    end if 
    end tell 
    end if 
    return check_every 
    end idle
    try that
    I actually tried that one. However, I modified the times to see how/if it works. It doesn't work with the modified times though. Whether it works with the actual times, I don't know. It also doesn't explain to me, from the website that I got it from, whether a screen saver is allowed to be enabled or not. Or if hot corner can be enabled to shut off the monitor or not.

At this point, I may just set a restart time of when she's asleep. lol

KOT

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yeah i figured you might have seen that one and tried it already

the logic in the on/end idle loop seems legit to me but the shell script to grab the idle time might be the problem

try plugging that string into the command line and see what you get ... it should be a number close to zero since you won't be idle really

if there's a problem it's probably in there ... or has to do with different versions and how the syntax has changed between what you've got and what this was wrote for

----------

a restart daily schedule might be an easy way to do it also ...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Volant, Hotchkis CTS Sway Bars

Quote Originally Posted by A48WillyzGuy View Post
    I'm still rocking XP on my gaming rig! I agree, Vista brings the suck. Lol
    XP? Come on man get with the times! I know Vista was bad but 7 is a solid OS. **** that windows 8 bullshit.

KOT, if you were using a windows machine I could help as I have a script that does almost the exact same thing except it closes the capture software (resource hog) I use to record gameplay when my gpu runs too hot while capping planetside 2/bf3 footage.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

I opened it as soon as I saw it was from KOT. After all the help he has given folks on here, I figured if he needed help, we should at least try.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeEffect View Post
    XP? Come on man get with the times! I know Vista was bad but 7 is a solid OS. **** that windows 8 bullshit.
    I know. Lol. I'm a poor gamer though! I have 7 on my laptop, does that count?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.