battery or alternator?? please help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, battery or alternator?? please help in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; yesterday while driving i got a warning on the info center, well two, service electric system and charging system, me ...
    knals is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Cts 03 V6 3.2L

battery or alternator?? please help

yesterday while driving i got a warning on the info center, well two, service electric system and charging system, me not thinking about what could happen, just turned off the car, see if it would reset, but then the car didnt start anymore, finny got a batterie charger n connected it, after a while i could start it again but once taking of the carger the car slowly dies, and does not start without charger, also in the information center the batterie volts do not go upper the 12.9 volts, please help, really need to move the car from there. any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Put the charger back on and get it started. Get a volt meter and measure the voltage at the battery with the car running. If you aren't getting at least 12 volts.....(should be almost 14) then the alternator is bad. If you get good voltage at the battery with it running then its the battery.

Re: batterie or alternator?? please help

even if the charger is till on the batterie? because once i disconect it the car dies

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

Sounds like your alternator. A good alternator should keep the car running when the battery is disconnected. But im not a mechanic so maybe someone else will chime in.

took it to the shop just now, drove a while n then the car shut down again, happend about 4 times b4 i got to the shop, mechanic said it would b ready by the end of the week so ill wait ill friday to update results, thanks guys

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    End of the week? That's a long time to change an alternator which I am 99% sure it is!!!

Well the guy had about 11 cars due still soo i guess ill jst have to wait my turn, only mechanic around here that does that kind of work

TomV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003

Quote Originally Posted by J W View Post
    Sounds like your alternator. A good alternator should keep the car running when the battery is disconnected. But im not a mechanic so maybe someone else will chime in.
    I will chime in!

Never power the car without the battery. You will fry the alternator.

A fully charged battery will start and run the car without a problem despite the alternator. If the car dies when the charge is removed then your battery is no good.

The mechanic can/will test your battery with his external load box and tell quickly if the battery is good.

With a good battery in the car, the alternator can be tested. If it is not delivering at least 14 volts (as Blayne suggests) then the alternator (or associated wiring) is the culprit. Another culprit is a loose belt, though that may not be as much of an issue with the serpentines as it was back in the day with cars used individual belts.

I do not know where you live, but any mechanic with a shop sign should be able to properly diagnose this type of problem.

J W

Re: battery or alternator?? please help

The reason for going with the alternator theory is because the OP stated his car would not start so he gave the battery a charge. After getting the charge the car started but slowly drained and died again. Hence the fact that either the battery is no good (but it did take a charge). Or the batter is not getting charged by the alternator. That is why I suggested the alternator might be bad. Of course as I said i'm no mechanic. I learn that alternator test from a mechanic. Or maybe the wire from the batter to the alternator has come disconnected.

TomV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003

Knals,

When your car died on the way to the shop, did you have your lights on during the drive? How far did you drive to get to the shop? How did you get the car restarted, did you jump start it with another car?

i was able to drive about 5 miles, i dont trust jump starting anymore, i used a battery charger, got the car back yesterday, it was the alternator, the guy fixed it for 80 dlls, and gave me 2 year guarantee, car works perfect again, thank you for all the help

J W

Glad to hear your and running again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.