Oil on spark plug threads! 2007 CTS 2.8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Oil on spark plug threads! 2007 CTS 2.8 in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; 2007 CTS 2.8, 90k So I have had an on again of again misfire issue, mostly only when I first ...
    Acake is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Oil on spark plug threads! 2007 CTS 2.8

2007 CTS 2.8, 90k

So I have had an on again of again misfire issue, mostly only when I first start the car. I changed the plugs, which fixed the issue, but there was oil on the threads of my plugs! As far as I can tell it was on the threads and not in the tubes. There was also some oil in the tube connecting to the black box which attaches to the throttle body. After doing some research I'm thinking maybe it is the valve cover gaskets? How hard is it to swap these out and is it worth attempting for a novice do it yourselfer? Is there a TSB that someone can link me to on this issue? Is there a how to thread? Thanks for your help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Acake is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Oil on spark plug threads! 2007 CTS 2.8

Anyone????

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    If your valve cover was leaking you would have oil visible around the base of the spark plug when looking down at it. Oil on the threads isn't uncommon. Keep an eye on that one plug. Run the car for a few weeks and then get in there and check it out. If you can see oil in there then yes the gasket needs to be changed. If it is dry carry on with it. The gaskets shouldn't be a hard job. Changing the plugs gets you half way there. A few more steps and you are at the gaskets. Unsure about a write up on the procedure. As for the oil in the baffle that goes to the TB, that is normal. Theses cars produce a lot of PVC oil/gases that get sent thru the rubber line that attaches to the intake tube right after the MAF. The result is an oily residue on the intake pipe, baffle and TB. No worries about it but you should look into an RX catch can. And while you are doing the gaskets, an RX isolator would be a nice and easy upgrade.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Re: Oil on spark plug threads! 2007 CTS 2.8

Perhaps you should check out the PCV mod as well, while you're in there. It works on the 3.6, not sure if the 2.8 has the same set up.

SEARCH is the word of the day.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.