Removing brake lines from ABS pump
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Removing brake lines from ABS pump in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I am looking for some advice about removing the brake lines from the ABS pump. I am needing to remove ...
    adometrius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Luxury Sport

Removing brake lines from ABS pump

I am looking for some advice about removing the brake lines from the ABS pump. I am needing to remove the lines from the pump, in order to remove the pump from the vehicle. I am removing the pump from the vehicle in order to replace the EBCM portion of the abs module (I will be reusing the BPMV); I am removing the entire module because I cannot remove only the EBCM from the BPMV due to its location (cannot access the bottom left star screw while it is still mounted to vehicle).

I am wondering if there are any issues I need to worry about before removing the lines. Should I bleed the lines and remove all the brake fluid before removing the lines from the pump? I do not want fluid leaking onto the BPMV (or rest of the vehicle for that matter) that I will be reusing. I will be bleeding the brake lines after I am done either way, so that is not an issue. Any help appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    You will need a factory capable scan tool in order to bleed the ABS pump after you reinstall it.

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Quote Originally Posted by jran0823
    You will need a factory capable scan tool in order to bleed the ABS pump after you reinstall it.
    On top of this, do try and bleed out all oil first. Brake fluid is very harmful to paint. Always try and avoid getting it on the car at all costs.

Re: Removing brake lines from ABS pump

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    On top of this, do try and bleed out all oil first. Brake fluid is very harmful to paint. Always try and avoid getting it on the car at all costs.
    I had heard how bad brake fluid was for paint this is what made me a bit nervous about this project.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jran0823 View Post
    What type of scan tool are you referring to? Tech2 or a simple OBD2 scanner? So bleeding the lines will not remove air from the abs pump and only a scan tool can? I am glad you posted this, because I had not heard that before. This is making me wonder if I should even attempt this project on my own...

A simple scan tool will not suffice. You will need a Tech II or equal because the the pintle in the ABS pump can be closed not allowing you to bleed the system.

A simple scan tool will not suffice. You will need a Tech II or equal because the the pintle in the ABS pump can be closed not allowing you to bleed the system.
    Interesting... is this required anytime you bleed the brakes? Or just because I am disconnecting the lines from the module? I have heard many other people talk about bleeding their brake lines (not after disconnecting the brake lines) and not mention the need to use the techII. Did they not mention it because it is just common knowledge (that I obviously did not possess)? Can you explain what the pintle is/used for? BTW thanks for the replies, I am slowly learning a little about auto repairs on my own and I can use all the help I can get.

You have to do this because you are removing the ABS pump. The pintles are the valves that open and close controlling each individual line in order for the ABS do perform it's duty. Normal brake bleeding does not require a scan tool to activate the pump, IE replacing a brake hose or caliper. Those require a traditional bleed, but anytime a ABS pump is replaced or removed it requires a scan tool to activate each valve to make sure the system is properly bled.

You have to do this because you are removing the ABS pump. The pintles are the valves that open and close controlling each individual line in order for the ABS do perform it's duty. Normal brake bleeding does not require a scan tool to activate the pump, IE replacing a brake hose or caliper. Those require a traditional bleed, but anytime a ABS pump is replaced or removed it requires a scan tool to activate each valve to make sure the system is properly bled.
    Makes sense. Thanks again for the info. This is my plan, let me know what you think:
    1)bleed brake lines to remove all brake fluid from vehicle
    2)remove brake lines from ABS module and then remove module from vehicle
    3)replace EBCM on module
    4)replace module and brake lines
    5)refill vehicle with brake fluid
    6)bleed brake lines and continue filling with brake fluid
    7) tow vehicle to mechanic to scan/ reconfigure abs pump and do any further required bleeding

Personally I wouldn't drain the entire brake system. I would get some good fender covers that can't saturate and some shop rags and just disconnect the pump. Make sure you blow any dust or dirt away from the fittings before opening the system. I have never drained an entire brake system before when I've done pumps.

Personally I wouldn't drain the entire brake system. I would get some good fender covers that can't saturate and some shop rags and just disconnect the pump. Make sure you blow any dust or dirt away from the fittings before opening the system. I have never drained an entire brake system before when I've done pumps.
    Sounds like a solid plan. I plan on getting at it this weekend. I will let you know how it all went. Thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.