2005 CTS 3.6 has intermittent starting problems.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2005 CTS 3.6 has intermittent starting problems. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I am having some starting issues with a 2005 CTS I bought used. Brand new battery. Every once in a ...
    BryanGreen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

2005 CTS 3.6 has intermittent starting problems.

I am having some starting issues with a 2005 CTS I bought used. Brand new battery. Every once in a while you go to start it and nothing happens. All dash lights and radio work. This an intermittent problem. Twice, I had it towed to an auto electric shop after trying to start it for an hour while I was stuck. Both time I called th shop and they said " The tow truck driver started it right up and drove it off the bed, and we can't get it to not start!

Sometimes I couldn't start it, then an hour or two later I try it and it starts right up and will continue to do so for a few weeks without a problem. Today, not so. Once I moved it into neutral, I heard a strange scraping noise but it started. Today, not so. Then moving the automatic shifter into park, it locked there.
    Anybody have any other ideas? Could a theft sensor be blocking? It kind of acts like it would it if you left it in drive and tried to start it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mvance59 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Re: 2005 CTS 3.6 has intermittent starting problems.

I was having the same issues on a 2004 CTS and happened upon a old factory recall concerning the ecm on all 2004 and some
    2005 models with the 3.6 litre engine. After contacting the local Caddy dealer I took my car in yesterday and after failing to reprogram the ecm, they replaced it. NO CHARGE!! This is a 9 year old car with 135000 miles mind you. So you need to contact a cadillac dealer to see if the recall repair was ever done. In my case it had not. The recall number is 05524 and is for a ecm reprogram.
    You will need the VIN number for the dealer to look it up on their database. Trust me, Without attention this problem will only
    get worse. MY car had gotten to the point that it wouldn't start at all without jumping the starter relay. After the repair it has started every time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.