Issues 04 cts 3.6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Issues 04 cts 3.6 in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Ight basically it all startes with my car getting stuck in a parking lot. When i pulled into a spot ...
    AlpineCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Ight basically it all startes with my car getting stuck in a parking lot. When i pulled into a spot i attempted to rev my engine because the car went into limp mode on my way to my detination. But anywaysit wouldnt even rev at all. Pedal to the floor sitting in a spot at idle. I got 2 codes p2176 and p2119 which are throttle body codes i wrotethem down then cleared them cause i had to get it home. Weird thing is it drove fine for 2 more days till i gotstuck in my schools paparking lot so i had to wait till next day so i could get my laptop. When i rescanned it it said one of the previous codes (p2176 idle pos) and 2 more for accelerator pedal a and b circuits. Idk wht is going on because i took it home ripped the trottle body out and cleaned (had plained to swap it out but dealer gave me wron throttle body so i gotta go get a refund). After cleaning the thottle body which wasnt to bad a little gummed up and i took it apart and looked at the inside and the gears an everything look fresh out a factory. So i threw the throttle body back on and the other night it was just throwing pedal pos sensors. I was curious could a sub cause to much draw and kill the electonic throttle system cause i disconnected my sub and it seemed to run ok today. Except i got a loud ticking noise from the passenger side of the engine. I would post a vid o tickig noise but dont know if u can or how. But any ideas? Im about to take this thing to the dealership cause these caddys got to many wires and electric to even put on a list. I miss the old throttle wires that u could just yank under the hood. Lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Issues 04 cts 3.6

This has nothing to do with warranty or recall issues.

Moved to the proper year group CTS forums.

I edited your post to remove the crude language. Be careful.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k
    Loud ticking from passenger side leads me to the EVAP Purge solenoid. Listen at the rear of the passenger side, is that where it's coming from?

Take off the engine cover and look for a small, canister looking piece.

Common issue.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

I had to replace my accelerator pedal this year. It went in to reduced power mode and threw a throttle code and a pedal code. I measured the resistance across the pedal as it swept through the range. I had one set of contacts act funny - it did something like go up in resistance, then down, and then back up again, when it should have just been going up.

I took it apart after replacing, and the contacts for the brush were just worn out (the carbon traces on the board). So if you're getting a pedal code... it could be the pedal. My car had about 86k on it. Replaced for about $90-ish from Rock Auto. No problems with that since.

How do u measure the resistance across the pedal i already have all the paneling ripped off and the pedal assembly exposed.

----------

The noise is kind of in that area i thought the little canister ur talking about could have been it but idk. Cause when i hook up my scan tool its been saying not ready for emmisions testing and has incomplete test and the evap i think was one. I was curious cause i heard that the newer cts make that ticking noise cause the direct injectio it sounds almost the same as that its weird. Cause it almost sounds like inside of the engine.

On my pedal there were 6 leads. 2 rows of 3.

Stick an ohm meter (multimeter set on ohms) between 1 & 3, and sweep through the pedal travel. Write down the start, write down the end.
    Now do it between 3&5, then 2&4, then 4&6. I forget the values / directions of travel, but resistance should go one direction or the other (up or down) in the motion - but it should not go up, then down, then back up (or vice-versa, down / up / down).

I pulled the pedal out of the car to do it.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineCTS View Post
    Ight basically it all startes with my car getting stuck in a parking lot. When i pulled into a spot i attempted to rev my engine because the car went into limp mode on my way to my detination. But anywaysit wouldnt even rev at all. Pedal to the floor sitting in a spot at idle. I got 2 codes p2176 and p2119 which are throttle body codes i wrotethem down then cleared them cause i had to get it home. Weird thing is it drove fine for 2 more days till i gotstuck in my schools paparking lot so i had to wait till next day so i could get my laptop. When i rescanned it it said one of the previous codes (p2176 idle pos) and 2 more for accelerator pedal a and b circuits. Idk wht is going on because i took it home ripped the trottle body out and cleaned (had plained to swap it out but dealer gave me wron throttle body so i gotta go get a refund). After cleaning the thottle body which wasnt to bad a little gummed up and i took it apart and looked at the inside and the gears an everything look fresh out a factory. So i threw the throttle body back on and the other night it was just throwing pedal pos sensors. I was curious could a sub cause to much draw and kill the electonic throttle system cause i disconnected my sub and it seemed to run ok today. Except i got a loud ticking noise from the passenger side of the engine. I would post a vid o tickig noise but dont know if u can or how. But any ideas? Im about to take this thing to the dealership cause these caddys got to many wires and electric to even put on a list. I miss the old throttle wires that u could just yank under the hood. Lol
    Hello AlpineCTS,

I am sorry you are experiencing issues with your vehicle. I recommend taking your vehicle into a nearby certified Cadillac dealership. They will be able to properly diagnose and fix any issues with your vehicle. If you need help in locating a dealership and or making an appointment please let me know! Thank you, have a great night.

Sincerely,
    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

----------

Hello AlpineCTS,

I am sorry you are experiencing issues with your vehicle. I recommend taking your vehicle into a nearby certified Cadillac dealership. They will be able to properly diagnose and fix any issues with your vehicle. If you need help in locating a dealership and or making an appointment please let me know! Thank you, have a great night.

Sincerely,
    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by cabletech
    On my pedal there were 6 leads. 2 rows of 3.

Stick an ohm meter (multimeter set on ohms) between 1 & 3, and sweep through the pedal travel. Write down the start, write down the end.
    Now do it between 3&5, then 2&4, then 4&6. I forget the values / directions of travel, but resistance should go one direction or the other (up or down) in the motion - but it should not go up, then down, then back up (or vice-versa, down / up / down).

I pulled the pedal out of the car to do it.
    I just took my pedal assembly of i will admit it looks pretty shitty haha. But what can u expect after 110k. However my plug is 6 in a line should i do the same concept 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 with the ignition on no engine?

I'm talking about measuring the pedal (on the bench), not the wiring harness. So no need for ignition at all. Unless you want to listen to the radio while you're doing it.

I don't know which pins are which, so you'll now have to experiment. Start sticking the voltmeter (on ohms) on pairs of pins, and write down all the measurements you see. Then hold the meter leads on the pins, and start pushing the pedal slowly. You should see the resistance meter change. Write down the value at the end, and see if the 'sweep' was smooth. If it was smooth, then that pair is OK. If the sweep went in an odd direction (up, then down, then up), then the pedal assembly is bad. Stupid design makes you buy the whole dang thing (instead of just the sliding potentiometer, you have to buy a whole pedal assembly).

Ight im gonna toy with he pedal assembly some more today. Heres a vid of ticking really think the purge would tick that fast? http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=0_70GslnL3I

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k

Heres a vid of ticking really think the purge would tick that fast? http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=0_70GslnL3I
    Sounds just like a bad EVAP Purge solenoid...to the "T"
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.